Defensive Carry banner

Carry empty holster

9K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  JudgeMan 
#1 ·
Ok. I've Googled and searched, now I'll ask. I'm fairly new to carrying and can't carry at work. I'm wanting to CC my holster just to get accustomed to having it on my side all of the time as opposed to leaving it in the truck with my CCW. Any thoughts on that?

Dono

#2 ·
There are times that I've carried an empty holster. I take my grandson to school every day & it's illegal to have a firearm on school grounds. When I get dressed in the morning I put my holster on my belt & when I get home from taking him I put my gun in it.

#3 ·
I've done that before. Before I got my CCL and after I got a new leather holster, I wanted to break it in so I wore it to work for a few days.

I don't see any problem with that if you want to break it in or just get used to carrying it. Just make sure it remains concealed so you don't get questioned about it.

#4 ·
I'm not able to carry at work so I strap on my empty holster and leave my weapon in my vehicle in the parking lot while I'm at work. When I get off work and get in the truck, my gun goes into my holster and I go about the rest of my day. Nothing wrong with carrying an empty holster when you can't carry your weapon.

Reactions: Dono
#5 ·
Can you clarify the question? Are you asking about opinions regarding wearing a holster at work or about the value of getting used to the holster without the gun actually in it?

As for work, my personal thought is that you need to make a choice regarding how upset your employer would be to find an empty holster. I can't see how they could hold an empty holster against you, but it could cause concerns for the employer that could lead to backlash later on (or not).

As for getting used to the holster, I am no expert as I am still waiting on my license (should be here in the next couple of days), but I actually have been trying out a couple of different holsters around home. I do carry a gun in them around the house. My thought is that the holster without the weapon doesn't give me the real experience with weight and bulk. I have already tried 3 different CC holsters trying to figure out what I like.

Just my thoughts.

#6 ·
"the value of getting used to the holster without the gun actually in it?"

Exactly. I've been CC a fixed blade for a while now just to get use to carrying something without printing and for the feel of something on my hip. At first, even with the knife I felt that EVERYONE was looking at it. Now I know nobody sees it. I don't think my boss would have an issue with the holster but my purpose would be to conceal without anyone knowing. To build a comfort level CCing.

Dono

#7 ·
I have worn mine empty in places where it was easier to remove the gun for a while (post office, going onto school grounds and at work). I have done it at work at times as I can't carry there. I should point out that I am referring to IWB holsters here, which is what I use almost exclusively.

In my experience, an empty holster is pretty uncomfortable, as it will not sit the same as it does with the gun in it. Normally the grip of the gun will keep the whole package in a certain position, and the holster doesn't ride the same without the gun in it and tends to dig into your side in ways it wouldn't if the gun were in it.

Granted most of my holsters have back shields on them that cover part of the gun. These are more comfortable when carrying, but also can dig in when carrying the holster empty.

Also, carrying the holster empty can close it up and deform it, especially if it doesn't have a re-enforced opening.

Carrying it empty is not going to give you a good impression of you holsters comfort.

#8 ·
I have worn mine empty in places where it was easier to remove the gun for a while (post office, going onto school grounds and at work). I have done it at work at times as I can't carry there. I should point out that I am referring to IWB holsters here, which is what I use almost exclusively.

In my experience, an empty holster is pretty uncomfortable, as it will not sit the same as it does with the gun in it. Normally the grip of the gun will keep the whole package in a certain position, and the holster doesn't ride the same without the gun in it and tends to dig into your side in ways it wouldn't if the gun were in it.

Granted most of my holsters have back shields on them that cover part of the gun. These are more comfortable when carrying, but also can dig in when carrying the holster empty.

Also, carrying the holster empty can close it up and deform it, especially if it doesn't have a re-enforced opening.

Carrying it empty is not going to give you a good impression of you holsters comfort.
Good info. Some points I hadn't considered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.