Following your instinct

Following your instinct

This is a discussion on Following your instinct within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay folks, something happened to me last night that I've been thinking about. My family and I were leaving the grocery store last night (it ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Following your instinct

Following your instinct

Okay folks, something happened to me last night that I've been thinking about. My family and I were leaving the grocery store last night (it was getting dark) and when we get to our car and I'm loading stuff into the car, a guy walks through the row of cars, up to my side and asks me if I can jump his car, he's got cables and his daughter is with him and he's parked right in front of my car. I look at him for 1-2 seconds and then politely say I've got to get home and can't help.

So, I'll stop the story there for a bit. The reason I said no was straight up instinct - he gave me a creepy vibe in the 2 seconds sizing up the situation. My rule is that when I get a bad feeling in a parking lot or similar location with a stranger, I get out of there as fast as I can no matter what. I don't care about being polite, waiting for the gas tank to fill up completely, what others will think of me, etc. I just leave.

So, for discussion, do you follow your instincts, or do you ever wish you had or had not? I'm talking about situations with strangers like this, not should I have gone to grad school or not... :)
    Betty likes this.

GH
    I'm a firm believer in following your instincts. If I'm uncomfortable with a situation I try to get myself out of it as soon as possible. Being in a rush is always a good excuse. I certainly don't want to be "late for work". (I've been retired for a few years, lol)
    JoseRomeroJr likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Gut feelings are important and I always follow them
    nontechguy and 640girl like this.

Granted, I am from Minnesota, and everybody has at least one set of jumper cables in their car, but if you don't know how, you can damage your own charging system and melt the plastic covering right off the cables. I've seen it done. If it feels bad, then don't. But at -0, I generally help out.

Dougb, that's a good point. This was in the South and no one was in danger of freezing or getting stuck out in the cold over night. If that were the case, it definitely may change the situation.
    d2jlking likes this.

I'm curious, how old was his daughter? Adult? Child? If someone with a child needs help, I'm probably helping. Make my family get in the car and do what I can to help. Staying as alert as possible to potential danger.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

I had a Jack Russell Terrier when I was in my 20's, who had an incredible instinct for people. What he really had was an incredible instinct for reading my reaction to people. He would see through it even if I were being nice to them or if I were too dumb to follow my true feelings at the time.
    He taught me to trust my instincts more, and to be more like you describe... don't worry about being polite or brash, trust what I feel.

I work on the streets of a major city alone on third shift. Instincts and awareness are needed to do well, and I try to improve mine when I can.

I would say you did just fine. I have seen first hand people using props, including kids in their scams. I see it so often that it makes me even more suspicious.
    GH, RichB70, Betty and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

Better safe than sorry. I am sure the guy was fine, but it is sad that we have to be concerned. It may have been nothing, but your instincts, even if wrong, are far more developed through many generations. Best to trust them. Unfortunately, in this workd we now live, being a nice guy can get you killed.
    Honk likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

You have to trust instincts. If I felt comfortable I would help. I had an Alfa Husky. When he met somebody he would sit down about 6 feet away. He would look like he was reading their Aura. If he didn't want to meet them watch your back.
    Yetiman likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'd have popped my hood. I've helped out many a stranger, and many strangers have helped me out when I needed it. I hook the cables to my car, not leaving it to someone who may not know what they're doing.

When I refuse to help (beggars, bums, and the perpetual guy driving around needing to borrow some change to buy gas) I politely inform them I can't help them out today. I'm never rude, have never needed to be rude with them; I always receive a polite "Thanks anyhow" in return.

I'm a believer in hleping out those who need it, refuse to give in to the evils of society and lower my standards because of them. Foolish in this day and age? Maybe . . . but that's the manner in which I choose to treat people, what I believe in, and I'll not let those with evil intent change the way I choose to live--that is surrendering to them. But I am not fool, each incident is considered for it risks and rewards. The next time may get me killed, but then again, I may not wake up tomorrow morning--that's life as i choose to live it, even though life is not always fair.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    Okay folks, something happened to me last night that I've been thinking about. My family and I were leaving the grocery store last night (it was getting dark) and when we get to our car and I'm loading stuff into the car, a guy walks through the row of cars, up to my side and asks me if I can jump his car, he's got cables and his daughter is with him and he's parked right in front of my car. I look at him for 1-2 seconds and then politely say I've got to get home and can't help.

So, I'll stop the story there for a bit. The reason I said no was straight up instinct - he gave me a creepy vibe in the 2 seconds sizing up the situation. My rule is that when I get a bad feeling in a parking lot or similar location with a stranger, I get out of there as fast as I can no matter what. I don't care about being polite, waiting for the gas tank to fill up completely, what others will think of me, etc. I just leave.

So, for discussion, do you follow your instincts, or do you ever wish you had or had not? I'm talking about situations with strangers like this, not should I have gone to grad school or not... :)
    If I'm out at night and someone approaches me, no matter what they ask, the answer is no. I don't give a reason. I don't say I'm sorry I can't help. I simply say "No."

VIP Member
    In most cases I'll go with gut instinct.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I go with my gut, and I always help someone in need like that. Heck, I've even butted into a conversation to help once. LOL Two old guys trying to jump a car with a flimsy set of cables, when I always carry the extra heavy duty kind that you can almost weld with. Haha. Used my cables, and they were on their way.

I stop for people on motorcycles that are pulled over as well. I know many won't, but I will, because I've been there before, and I won't leave a brother stranded if I can help out.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    This country is not the same anymore. If you are not my relative or someone I know, I do not help anyone; everyone has a cell phone these days including the " so-called indigent" who get free phones. Call for service and stay the hell away from me. When I approach my car, situational awareness is with me all the time--i am vulnerable at that moment as I stand by my car with keys in hand. I will try to do whatever I can to avoid the conversation and return to the store, if necessary, and call 911. I am always told by my police chief that you can call us any time for any reason and I will use that advice. If it is nothing--no harm, no foul. You screw with me and raise my presumption of imminent danger after I have tried to avoid you---you will be sorry. This is a dangerous time and I do not intend to be a sheep or a victim.

I am a firm believer in instincts or getting that "feeling" something bad is about to happen. I have experienced it many times.

The most recent one was before our burglary and several of my guns are now stolen. As we left the house, I got the "feeling" I should take one and move the rest of them elsewhere in the house, we did not have the gun safe just yet. We were going to our Church to put on the kids Christmas play and I thought, "what could happen, we're just going to Church?"

I really wish I would have listened to the "feelings" and took action. I regret that now.

Follow your instincts and feelings. If something seems wrong, then it most likely will be.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links