An Excellent Write-up in the Stanford Review Why CCW Should Be Allowed on Campus

This is a discussion on An Excellent Write-up in the Stanford Review Why CCW Should Be Allowed on Campus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The news is saturated with stories and opinions on guns, and the attention on the issue is heightened with this past year’s dramatic shootings in ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Jemsaal
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 2 Post By GunsAndViolince

Thread: An Excellent Write-up in the Stanford Review Why CCW Should Be Allowed on Campus

An Excellent Write-up in the Stanford Review Why CCW Should Be Allowed on Campus

The news is saturated with stories and opinions on guns, and the attention on the issue is heightened with this past year’s dramatic shootings in Aurora and Newtown. Understandably, the response to these horrors involves great emotion. However, in our dialogue about violence and gun ownership, we need to set aside our fears and biases and look at where the facts lead us.
    Read the rest at Stanford Review
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 1st, 2013 at 05:43 PM.
    sdprof, JoseRomeroJr, GH and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

A well written article...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Nice to see that from a young lady as well.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    That was a good article, but in spite of the authors appeal to take emotion away from it, this will be ignored by those who cannot or will not remove their emotion and faulty reasoning.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Great article.

Gun-Free Zones: A monopoly of force

Absolute bans are ineffective, as criminals carry weapons regardless of their legality. Worse, Gun-Free Zones are uniquely attractive targets, as a monopoly of force is in the hands of whoever is willing to break the law, and police response is often too little and too late.
    This is from Stanford, in California no less!

DiFi will get that girl evicted from the state!

ETA: Here's an earlier piece published in the Stanford site. Not quite as clear and concise, but I think the author is also being supportive.
    http://stanfordreview.org/article/st...ts-gun-policy/
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Piers Morgan should read this

VIP Member
    There could be 200 articles, just like this one in the major newaspapers across the country, and it wouldn't matter.

You could have the majority of the people in this country thinking the same way, and it wouldn't matter.

Because gun control ain't about guns, its about CONTROL!.
    And he who has guns, has some control,
    sdprof likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Having spent enough time in colleges and universities to be entitled to an opinion, one interesting by-product of this would be not only safety, but better levels of respect as well. Without exception, the people I know who are responsible gun owners are more civil and respectful to others than any other group of people I know (I have heard about irresponsible legal gun owners, but I have never met any that I know of).

I think potentially having a class full of students with concealed pistols would force the professors to see their students differently and be more respectful to them. Of course, I knew many professors who did this anyway, because it's the right way to be, but I saw so many abuses of many kinds. I also think the students, being armed, would conduct themselves in a better way. I think the training they would get for their licenses would contain information they'll never hear in school and may never have heard at home or from friends. It would help them grow up and think more responsibly. It might even help some less serious students take life seriously enough to stop trying to figure out ways to weasel out of actual work and quit talking or texting long enough to really learn something.

It might also take some of the wind out of the sails of this whole "let's program our young people's minds to accept liberalism without question" mode that many universities have as their standard MO. I don't mean to start an argument or discussion about this, merely to report that this is a real thing that I had to deal with. I knew many other profs whose students would come to me and complain that the only way to get a good grade was to agree with the prof, evidence to the contrary notwithstanding!

Another angle on this question is this: I'm sure we've all read about profs who were violent, even murderous. The political battles I witnessed could very easily have become violent and one friend of mine was actually attacked by the chair of his department (not my dept. though; our chair could not have fought his way out of a wet paper bag). I've seen first-hand many really embarrassing shouting matches and as a student, my own teacher was verbally accosted, violently, in the middle of a school event. Anyway, I really believe in my heart that these people are classic, classic, classic projectors: they know what they'd do with a gun if they had one and they can imagine that with the things they've done to screw their colleagues over and mess up their work, they can imagine what they would have done to them. It's no wonder they are fighting CC on campus tooth and nail. Let's hope it passes in enough states to really gain some momentum. It would do a lot towards raising the level of civility in our society, IMHO.
    sdprof and ccw9mm like this.

Nice article and perspective
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince View Post
    Having spent enough time in colleges and universities to be entitled to an opinion, one interesting by-product of this would be not only safety, but better levels of respect as well. Without exception, the people I know who are responsible gun owners are more civil and respectful to others than any other group of people I know (I have heard about irresponsible legal gun owners, but I have never met any that I know of).

I think potentially having a class full of students with concealed pistols would force the professors to see their students differently and be more respectful to them. Of course, I knew many professors who did this anyway, because it's the right way to be, but I saw so many abuses of many kinds. I also think the students, being armed, would conduct themselves in a better way. I think the training they would get for their licenses would contain information they'll never hear in school and may never have heard at home or from friends. It would help them grow up and think more responsibly. It might even help some less serious students take life seriously enough to stop trying to figure out ways to weasel out of actual work and quit talking or texting long enough to really learn something.

It might also take some of the wind out of the sails of this whole "let's program our young people's minds to accept liberalism without question" mode that many universities have as their standard MO. I don't mean to start an argument or discussion about this, merely to report that this is a real thing that I had to deal with. I knew many other profs whose students would come to me and complain that the only way to get a good grade was to agree with the prof, evidence to the contrary notwithstanding!

Another angle on this question is this: I'm sure we've all read about profs who were violent, even murderous. The political battles I witnessed could very easily have become violent and one friend of mine was actually attacked by the chair of his department (not my dept. though; our chair could not have fought his way out of a wet paper bag). I've seen first-hand many really embarrassing shouting matches and as a student, my own teacher was verbally accosted, violently, in the middle of a school event. Anyway, I really believe in my heart that these people are classic, classic, classic projectors: they know what they'd do with a gun if they had one and they can imagine that with the things they've done to screw their colleagues over and mess up their work, they can imagine what they would have done to them. It's no wonder they are fighting CC on campus tooth and nail. Let's hope it passes in enough states to really gain some momentum. It would do a lot towards raising the level of civility in our society, IMHO.

Very interesting! An angle I would not have thought about...

Quote Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince View Post
    Having spent enough time in colleges and universities to be entitled to an opinion, one interesting by-product of this would be not only safety, but better levels of respect as well.

I think potentially having a class full of students with concealed pistols would force the professors to see their students differently and be more respectful to them.

It might also take some of the wind out of the sails of this whole "let's program our young people's minds to accept liberalism without question" mode that many universities have as their standard MO.

Another angle on this question is this: (the angry/controlling types) know what they'd do with a gun if they had one and they can imagine that with the things they've done to screw their colleagues over and mess up their work, they can imagine what they would have done to them. It's no wonder they are fighting CC on campus tooth and nail.
    Yup.

"An Armed Society Is A Polite Society" isn't merely a catchy phrase. When upstanding citizens are extremely capable of effectively defending against the criminally violent, it's a huge deterrent to the criminally violent. No two ways about it ... on campus, traveling, on the street, out alone, home at night, and everywhere else the upstanding are.

The more states where we have lawful and widespread campus carry, the more we're going to see such barriers against the violent raised.

It's about time the concept catches on like a brush fire.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Did any one read the response from the one listed below. It starts with how flawed the other article is but it offers nothing but the typical lib talking points that hold no facts, just conjecture and projection. The others on the comment list wast no time pointing this and more out, it must have really have been punishing for the author.

Why Concealed Carry Permits Do Not Belong on College Campuses | The Cornell Daily Sun
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    That was a good article, but in spite of the authors appeal to take emotion away from it, this will be ignored by those who cannot or will not remove their emotion and faulty reasoning.
    AND they'll most likely attack HER, claiming she's irresponsible and a danger to the campus community.

EDIT: I hadn't seen the Cornell article before posting this. Just makes my point.

Links