Mental health checks - Page 2

Mental health checks

This is a discussion on Mental health checks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by aus71383 I live in WA - no idea where you got this idea from. There is no such thing. If you have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Mental health checks

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I live in WA - no idea where you got this idea from. There is no such thing. If you have been deemed mentally incapable of handling your affairs by a judge, or been committed (against your will) into an insane asylum....I don't think they will let you buy a gun. But there is no mental health check that takes place you when apply for your CPL.

Austin
    I can second this as a WA resident. There is no mental health check. I believe the only reference to mental health is a single yes or no question on the application as to whether you have been committed or not. No idea where you heard there is a mental health check. We don't even have training requirements.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Likely similar to NICS background check stuff (adjudicated mental defective or committed).

It does bring up the subject to ponder though. With all of the musings of gun control and mental health, this is certainly something that will continue to be explored. The question is, who gets to define mentally healthy? Crazy? Once the line is drawn, who gets to move it and to where? How far? Will it be Objective measures, or Subjective?

By definition, "Normal" means of the norm, or average, if you will. Well, "average" is always changing, a moving target if you will. If more and more people demonstrate crazy behaviors, then mathematically over time that starts to fit within the range of the norm. Another way to look at it is if everyone is crazy, then that's normal.

These are just deep armchair philosopher ramblings. It's just a scary thought when LEGISLATORS get to define CRAZY. If they know as much about mental health as they do about guns, we're all in trouble.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    I may be moving to a state that includes a mental health check as part of its CCW approval process.Exactly how do they do this check? What types of treatments or disorders are they looking for? Doesn't HIPAA prevent them from opening medical records? (I am not crazy, just curious because they don't recognize my current state's CCW because of that)
    I just checked what State I'm in and can vouch that I am more sane than 52% of those who voted in the last presidential election. Anyway of the "reported" count. :)
    BugDude likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Their test is simple, they ask who you voted for in the last presidential election.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Mental health checks

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    It does bring up the subject to ponder though. With all of the musings of gun control and mental health, this is certainly something that will continue to be explored. The question is, who gets to define mentally healthy? Crazy? Once the line is drawn, who gets to move it and to where? How far? Will it be Objective measures, or Subjective?

By definition, "Normal" means of the norm, or average, if you will. Well, "average" is always changing, a moving target if you will. If more and more people demonstrate crazy behaviors, then mathematically over time that starts to fit within the range of the norm. Another way to look at it is if everyone is crazy, then that's normal.

These are just deep armchair philosopher ramblings. It's just a scary thought when LEGISLATORS get to define CRAZY. If they know as much about mental health as they do about guns, we're all in trouble.
    Yah, I commented over here on the topic:

Article from CNN on the mentally ill getting fire arms.

Basically I think the definition for WA state gets it right. We need to set the bar darn high before we take away someone's rights.

-john

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    I just checked what State I'm in and can vouch that I am more sane than 52% of those who voted in the last presidential election. Anyway of the "reported" count. :)
    You didn't know what state you're in without checking? ;-)
    Hopyard and dV8r like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    While I am all for better mental health evaluations over band-aid gun control laws, I am dubious about how they evaluate a persons mental health. As a retired teacher of 34 yrs., I have been acquainted with more than my share of educational psychologists. They were all crazier than bed bugs. They would be the last ones I would allow to decide whether I was mentally fit to own a gun.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Prove you're not nuts.
    I voted for Obamy... /sarc
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

This is a tough question. I met a guy who spent his entire life in the military and finally retired. He underwent counseling immediately after his retirement and was diagnosed as having "separation anxiety" which was the end of the discussion. He told me that in California, because he was labeled as having a specified "disorder" he was barred from owning a firearm. I do not know the accuracy of this from the point of California law, but if true, I can see how this could be a problem.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Re: Mental health checks

My bosses are women. My peers are women and I'm the only feminist in the room.

Insanity at it's finest.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Who knows what little "gems" are hiding in the thousands of pages of Obamacare.

Like Pit Bull Pelosi said, "You won't know what is in it until it passes."

I am waiting for the next "surprise" or should I say "got ya".
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Where I got it from was looking at the list of who reciprocates where, and why. WA says it doesn't reciprocate with CO (which is where I live now) because CO has no mental health check as part of its background check.

I used to live in WA but that was many years ago and I just don't remember. I didn't think that was part of the process when I first got my CHP, but I wasn't thinking about reciprocity and travel then. It kind of sucks because we still have a small vacation property here and many friends and after we move (well, it's still an if, but a solid one) I am sure there will be visits to look forward to. But it doesn't seem as though there will be a way to CC in CO after I become a WA resident, since CO doesn't grant nonresident permits or recognize WA permits. OC is legal here but it's not something I am comfortable doing very often.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You didn't know what state you're in without checking? ;-)
    Yep. "Just walked in to see what condition my condition was in too." :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    I don't need a mental health check and neither do I.
    firecrackerktm and Spirit51 like this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Mental health checks

In that case you look up the list of states CO does accept and then see if you can find any that grant to out of state.

-john

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links