Mental health checks

This is a discussion on Mental health checks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't have a problem with making every gun purchase have a NICS check go along with it, but this declaration of mental capability? That ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Mental health checks

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I don't have a problem with making every gun purchase have a NICS check go along with it, but this declaration of mental capability? That I do not like. There are too many ways to twist this to declare everyone "not fit" to own a gun.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

2. Remove Ads

Re: Mental health checks

Quote Originally Posted by rugergunner View Post
    I don't have a problem with making every gun purchase have a NICS check go along with it, but this declaration of mental capability? That I do not like. There are too many ways to twist this to declare everyone "not fit" to own a gun.
    Yeah, what if they decide it's anyone who's ever been to a counselor? Been on prozac? Quitting smoking drugs? Menstrual women?
    Ghost1958 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    Yeah, what if they decide it's anyone who's ever been to a counselor? Been on prozac? Quitting smoking drugs? Menstrual women?
    See post 10. "What if" is the most dangerous phrase after "charge it."
    gunfan likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    In that case you look up the list of states CO does accept and then see if you can find any that grant to out of state.

-john
    I don't think there is one. CO doesn't seem to recognize any state's NON resident permits, only _some_ states' resident permits. At least according to the nifty interactive map at USAcarry.com.

I'll keep trying to find out more in case that map isn't up to date but right now it is not looking good for visits :(

re: Mental health checks

I wouldn't sweat it unless you've been found by a judge to be unfit to handle your own affairs or to be a threat to others. I been treated for depression and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for years, yet that hasn't stopped me from having a carry permit, from being certified by the 4-H Shooting Sports Program as a youth rifle instructor, or from being a certified head coach of a high school trapshooting team.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

For now I wouldnt worry unless youve been involuntarily committed or legally ruled unable to handle your own affairs.

Despite the reassuring words of a few though IF they can get it passed our would be next dictator and his cohorts will redefine mental health regarding firearm ownership to disarm and prevent from getting a firearm, as many as he possibly can by that action.
    Just in the past 48 hours the child in Alabama;s kidnapper has been described as having anti government beliefs more times than I care to try to count by the media. Now what having anti government beliefs and being a murderer, attempted murderere and kidnapper of a child have to do with each other I cannot fathom by the wildest stretch of imagination but you can be sure those terms arent being put there to describe this lunatic by mistake.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

For now I wouldnt worry unless youve been involuntarily committed or legally ruled unable to handle your own affairs.

Despite the reassuring words of a few though IF they can get it passed our would be next dictator and his cohorts will redefine mental health regarding firearm ownership to disarm and prevent from getting a firearm, as many as he possibly can by that action.
    Just in the past 48 hours the child in Alabama;s kidnapper has been described as having anti government beliefs more times than I care to try to count by the media. Now what having anti government beliefs and being a murderer, attempted murderere and kidnapper of a child have to do with each other I cannot fathom by the wildest stretch of imagination but you can be sure those terms arent being put there to describe this lunatic by mistake.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    It's just a scary thought when LEGISLATORS get to define CRAZY. If they know as much about mental health as they do about guns, we're all in trouble.
    It doesn't matter how much they know or don't know. They'll still get it wrong.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I don't need a mental health check and neither do I.
    I just do whatever the voices in my head tell me to do!

Kidding, DHS monitor...just kidding!

Here's how it works in MN. YMMV, but I suspect it's similar in other states which conduct these sorts of mental health checks.

You need a permit to purchase a handgun or scary looking black rifle in MN. A MN issued carry permit also counts as a permit to purchase.

When you apply for either, you sign a separate form which is where you agree for the MN dept of Public Health to release medical information about you to the agency where you are applying (county sheriff, city PD, or applicable). The MPH doesn't gather all medical records, but certain types of medical care - specifically mental health confinements - are required to be reported by health care providers in the state.

I can't imagine that any state is (or would in the future) requiring an actual assessment at the time of application. They (that state) would have to have licensed mental health professionals on the payroll to interpret the results of those tests.
    Hopyard likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links