Who has practice guns? - Page 2

Who has practice guns?

This is a discussion on Who has practice guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sprung for the dual purpose model Sig. By removing the magazine and clearing the weapon it converts into a training pistol....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Who has practice guns?

I sprung for the dual purpose model Sig. By removing the magazine and clearing the weapon it converts into a training pistol.

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!"
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    I figured I really should get some plastic guns for practice drawing. I mentioned in another thread that even an empty gun I've checked and rechecked makes me a little nervous.

So I looked around at a few sites, and I see only a few models for $45ish each. Where else can you buy these?
    Or would a training barrel be OK?
    Snap caps?
    Or should I just step up and trust myself that after 10 times the darn thing really IS unloaded? What is the accepted protocol?
    I run small engine fuel line through the muzzle, chamber, mag well with a visible amount at each end to help people work through that particular aversion.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    It is somewhat mind boggling to me that someone who carries would think that.
    My thoughts as well. That boils down to thinking that you'll always be aware of what's going on around you, or understanding that it's what you can't predict that is going to pose the most danger.

In just about every defensive pistol class I've been in, or read about, part of the curriculum covered is drawing and firing with speed being the priority. I don't do a ton of it, but I have been taught several types of drills for drawing and firing at hip level. The basic premise is an attacker closing rapidly, so you have to deploy and fire your weapon without actually extending the firearm. It wouldn't be a great way to hit targets accurately at 15', but it's very effective when your target is arms length from you.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

The replica pistol I have (blue gun) is for martial arts training. You use it for practicing disarms and takedowns. Since it usually is pointed at you or your opponent, it's a safe and practical way to train.

For practicing your draw, It's OK to use your carry weapon. Here's why:

1. In a real-life situation, you'll be drawing your real gun.
    2. Weight, grip, snagginess are all things unique to your carry gun.
    3. If you have sloppy draw technique, your risk of shooting yourself is the same either way.
    4. Even in a critical event, you follow the rules of firearm safety.
    5. Being a responsible gun owner means knowing whether your gun is loaded or not.

Like TX Expat says above, if your weapon holds 5 rounds, and you extract them and put them on the table, a 6th one isn't going to materialize.

When you practice your draw, you shouldn't be putting your finger on the trigger until you're indexed and aimed. There should be little risk in this practice, even with a loaded gun.

Like First Sgt says above, even a fast draw isn't a Quickdraw McGraw kinda deal. Deliberate and smooth wins the race.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

My practice guns are the same ones I carry. I see no sense in practicing with something that I wouldn't use in a self defense situation.
    Ksgunner likes this.

If all you're going to practice is drawing from your concealment position, a blue gun would work, as it would help you develop the muscle memory, etc, as long as you find the same model as you carry. I personally wouldn't spend the money on one though, as I trust my guns, and my gun handling abilities.

Snap caps is the way to go IMHO. You have already established that you are ultra safety conscious, so I wouldn't think you'd have any problems with this. Just ensure that all the live ammo is secured during your training.

You didn't say which gun you are carrying and/or practicing for. If it's a semi-auto pistol, you might dedicate a magazine for snap caps only, and paint it orange or red, so you have another visual aid that you're working with practice loads only.

I practice with snap caps, with buddies on the range as well. We load each other's magazines with live rounds mixed with snap caps, so the snap caps force a malfunction that has to be cleared. It's good practice, but harder to do by yourself, because you know when the malfunction is coming.

Good luck & be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    If using a training gun makes you feel more comfortable, go ahead and do it.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The problem is I have two (two that I carry that is). A P238 and a P229 depending on concealability.

I have a few snap caps around here somewhere that I got for trying to train out my shooting bad habits. I can pick up a couple in 380 as well.

I do like the fuel line idea too.

There's no reason anything should happen ...

Ever considered getting practice barrels? We love ours.
    You can rack the slide and draw from holster and dry fire.
    Great for dry fire practice. Helps eliminate accidents while
    giving you the look and feel of the real thing.

We use training barrels and/or blue dummy guns and same size as our Glocks.

Training barrel makes sense. Have you ever seen one for a 238? Barrels for the 229 are common since it's an LEO gun.

I agree with First Sgt. if the gun is empty and you checked it and rechecked it what is the problem. i mean it can't load itself.and please i don't mean any disrespect I'm just saying.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by DSRTEAGLE357 View Post
    I agree with First Sgt. if the gun is empty and you checked it and rechecked it what is the problem. i mean it can't load itself.and please i don't mean any disrespect I'm just saying.
    No good reason, just ingrained habit.

AOK
    I'd strongly recommend getting snap caps. No need to put your finger on the trigger right away. Start out slow and build your speed up over time. Think crawl, walk, run. You will eventually get comfortable to start pressing the trigger.

I own a Glock knock off airsoft. I could use it for drawing but I don't like the difference of balance in the weight or how the trigger is different. With that said, the knock off is used soley for force on force.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links