Who has practice guns? - Page 3

Who has practice guns?

This is a discussion on Who has practice guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's another vote for snap caps, because they allow you to practice the entire draw and fire motion, rather than just part of it. Plastic ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Who has practice guns?

Here's another vote for snap caps, because they allow you to practice the entire draw and fire motion, rather than just part of it. Plastic guns allow you to practice drawing, but they don't allow you to follow through with using your sights for target acquisition, and then pulling the trigger.

Also, a plastic gun makes it really easy to get sloppy.

You've probably already seen it, but just in case, here's a good article on safely practicing dry fire exercises: Dry Fire Safety | Cornered Cat Scroll down and read "Steps to Safe Dry Fire".

In my opinion, dry fire is one of those things that's good to be a little paranoid about...
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    It is somewhat mind boggling to me that someone who carries would think that.
    Hey, I have nothing against anyone doing what they think is the best and wisest thing to do when dealing with their firearm and their personal safety. Certainly anything that makes you more proficient at any aspect of firearm use is a good thing. Unfortunately the BG is not confronting you with his firearm in his holster (odds are he does not have one) and before robbing you or killing you insists you have a drawdown contest with him. That is my point. You are practicing your holster draw and the BG has his firearm already drawn.You do what you want and believe it is best---if you do not follow basic situational awareness and the steps necessary to avoid and evade any confrontation and feel that your "practice gun" will somehow give you the edge you are looking for, have at it. Personally, if I still can perceive and am almost certainly ready to presume an imminent threat, I will remove my firearm from its holster to a position that will allow me more efficient access as I continue my effort to avoid or evade a potential threat. This could be placing it in an outside pocket or even holding said firearm at my side in as unrevealing position as possible (could be a 380 that fits in my hand) so that I now have as much advantage to protect myself as the BG has in harming me. I am not going to give him the advantage of his firearm at the ready as I try to retrace my "practice" for a clean and efficient draw. To repeat your reply, I find undo attention to this aspect of firearm control to be "mind boggling".

I bought a bunch for our training program on FleaBay

I haven't read the thread since it was one page long but I remember seeing a company making a part for a pistol so you knew it was safe to practice with. I can't remember all the detail but it was either a yellow solid yellow barrel or it was a yellow plastic insert that went into the barrel. It was solid so it wouldn't allow a round to be chambered but would still allow the slide to close so you could dry fire.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links