Who has practice guns?

Who has practice guns?

This is a discussion on Who has practice guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I figured I really should get some plastic guns for practice drawing. I mentioned in another thread that even an empty gun I've checked and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Who has practice guns?

Who has practice guns?

I figured I really should get some plastic guns for practice drawing. I mentioned in another thread that even an empty gun I've checked and rechecked makes me a little nervous.

So I looked around at a few sites, and I see only a few models for $45ish each. Where else can you buy these?
    Or would a training barrel be OK?
    Snap caps?
    Or should I just step up and trust myself that after 10 times the darn thing really IS unloaded? What is the accepted protocol?

...never point it at anything you don't want to destroy, and you'll be fine...

Hubby has a couple. Solid rubber guns the size and weight of a real one. He got it for training...himself and others.

The other was a display rubber one the same as the first. The shop owner was selling it and hubby got it at a good price compared to the other.

I can only say that practicing with one of them leaves NO CHANCE of accidental discharge.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

You could try airsoft?
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I guess this is something I am not familiar with. Quite frankly my understanding of what you are saying reminds me of being in Cattletown USA facing down Marshall Dillon. I trust my situational awareness and ability to use all my instincts and common sense to evade any confrontations that may be in the midst of coming to fruition so I see no need nor do I see a situation where speed of draw will be the deciding factor of anything. If confronted I will do everything, including cheating, if necessary, to have my handgun at the ready if I presume imminent threat that cannot be evaded or avoided. I apologize if I am not on the same railroad track as you are.
    shockwave and paynetrain1988 like this.

Airsoft are expensive too!

Kelcarry, I am not talking about a Wild West quickdraw competition. I am talking about learning to draw the gun from concealment, if I should ever (God forbid) have to, which is the whole purpose of carrying it. As a woman, sometimes my clothing choices require less traditional concealment methods such as belly bands. Accessing the weapon this way is pretty awkward. In such a situation, I don't want to end up fumbling around, which could cost me my life. I need a little bit of practice sweeping my shirt out of the way and drawing my pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I guess this is something I am not familiar with. Quite frankly my understanding of what you are saying reminds me of being in Cattletown USA facing down Marshall Dillon. I trust my situational awareness and ability to use all my instincts and common sense to evade any confrontations that may be in the midst of coming to fruition so I see no need nor do I see a situation where speed of draw will be the deciding factor of anything. If confronted I will do everything, including cheating, if necessary, to have my handgun at the ready if I presume imminent threat that cannot be evaded or avoided. I apologize if I am not on the same railroad track as you are.
    When teaching lessons like "Weapon Retention" to LEO, like my hubby has, a solid heavy rubber practice gun is a great idea. Throwing a real gun repeatedly againt the wall or on the floor would do some damage, I would think. There is a real reason for them.

AND if someone feels better perfecting their draw with one...I see NOTHING wrong with that.

It has been shown that repetitive practice will resolve into the correct actions when a stressful incident occurs.

Used by Firefighter Training, EMS Training, LEO Training and Military Training.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I, personally, see NO need for a "practice" gun for the purpose of practicing your draw.

If you are toooo nervous to trust yourself in checking the safety/unloaded condition of your own weapon, then perhaps it would be wise to go back to the basics of gun ownership.

Start with your four rules of gun safety. Proceed to the reading of your owners manual, learning the safety features of your weapon. Learn to break it down and put it back together in your sleep. Handle it, fondle it, love it, because your life will depend on it. Learn how to physically safety check your weapon as to whether or not it is loaded. If loaded, how to properly unload. If you are truly nervous, do everything in triplicate. Separate your ammo from you weapon in a different room. Have a dedicated "empty" mag that you insert. Tripple check, TRIPPLE CHECK.

Now you are ready to stand in your living room, shop, bathroom, or place of choosing to practice your draw. Remember also, to practice reholstering your weapon as well. In the beginning, "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast".

Now you are getting close to finding a reputable instructor for a good two day defensive/fighting pistol course.

As you progress, your confidence will build...BUT, NEVER take safety for granted.... JMO
    Olduser likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Depending on what your gun is, you could retain a bit of realism by simply swapping in a training barrel.

Blade-Tech Training Barrel Glock 19 23 Kydex Yellow
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I use snap caps in my J frame.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I don't own any but know guys who do. Another plus is that you can take them places you can't take a real gun.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    If you are toooo nervous to trust yourself in checking the safety/unloaded condition of your own weapon, then perhaps it would be wise to go back to the basics of gun ownership.
    I am very familiar with the basics. I have close to a couple decades shooting experience. That is WHY I am not comfortable practicing drawing and then placing my finger on the trigger, empty, safe, or not.
    Spirit51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Depending on what your gun is, you could retain a bit of realism by simply swapping in a training barrel.

Blade-Tech Training Barrel Glock 19 23 Kydex Yellow
    Yeah, that'd be one option.

Personally I think you simply need to unload, verify, then use your real pistol with a mag/mags and snap caps (assuming you are doing FTF/tap & rack/reload types of drills). That's something that's only going to be realistically accomplished with your real firearm kept in a real, functioning state.

I do these drills often and I'm very careful to double verify before putting my "carry" magazine and +1 bullet on a shelf, then I do my training with the mags and snap caps and I don't get within 10 feet of my live rounds until I'm finished with my drills. I think as long as you don't open yourself up to accidentally grabbing a live magazine, you aren't running any risks.

Obviously if you are just practicing drawing from cover, you can simply clear the weapon and then do your drills, since you won't be doing any mag changes or "loading" of the weapon.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I trust my situational awareness and ability to use all my instincts and common sense to evade any confrontations that may be in the midst of coming to fruition so I see no need nor do I see a situation where speed of draw will be the deciding factor of anything.
    It is somewhat mind boggling to me that someone who carries would think that.

I used to practice with a c02 bb gun that was a glock knock off. It was pretty good, but still different so now most of the time I just wait until I do some dry fire practice and will practice drawing with my EDC. But I would deff recommend something like that, anything is better than not practicing IMO.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Who has practice guns?

Remove barrel and play! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links