Acquiring target with both eyes open - Page 2

Acquiring target with both eyes open

This is a discussion on Acquiring target with both eyes open within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ghost1958 I may be doing it wrong but I dont concentrate on the front sight but the point I want the bullet ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Acquiring target with both eyes open

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I may be doing it wrong but I dont concentrate on the front sight but the point I want the bullet to strike. The target is clear in my vision while the sights are a tad fuzzy. Im sure I do it "against the book" since i didnt read a book to learn it but it works for me. My left eye is quite a bit fuzzier than my right anyway from a skull fracture when I was young so that maybe why it works that way for me.
    I think target shooting and snap shooting use two different techniques. When I'm on the range with a rifle using iron sights I focus on the front sight. When I shoot skeet I focus on the bird, not the bead. I hunted deer at the beginning of the year with a shotgun, I had fibre optic turkey sights on it but when I had a buck running right at me I just focused on the deer and pointed the gun. I have venison in the freezer. I need to learn to transfer that skill to a defensive handgun.

AV guy I always have a camera with me. I am also a band booster which gets me a sideline pass to our football games. The two eye thing can be kinda tough when snapping pics or shooting video but once you learn it you wonder how you did without it. Same thing shooting. You gotta train the brain. My oldest daughter told me a couple of the pics I posted online ended up in the football banquet program.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I shoot far better in combat practice with both eyes open. I learned to do this back when I was a kid and hunted birds. With practice, your dominant eye will take control of your aiming and with both eyes open, you retain depth perception. In a defensive situation, it is also important to retain peripheral vision as well. Practice and it will become second nature.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Both eyes open, looking through the front sight for me. Gives peripheral perspective and excellent accuracy.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    My shooting glasses are my regular glasses though! I haven't ponied up for prescription safety glasses yet (and before y'all start finger shaking, yes I know I should)
    Those safety glasses that Wal Mart sells either at the eye glasses center or (where I found mines) in the sporting goods dept. I bought mines a little over 5 years ago and I paid $5.99. They fit perfectly over my glasses. They have different tints and they come in a nice plastic clear case. Check them out.

Re: Acquiring target with both eyes open

Cross dominant here. That's right handed, left eye. I shoot both open. I learned to line my sights by focusing on front and lining back. It's not hard to do with practice.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Acquiring target with both eyes open

Quote Originally Posted by AVGuy View Post
    My vision is kinda skewed and I use my right eye for close objects and the left for far objects. Hopefully more practice time will help me adjust to keeping both open.
    I think that's called mono vision. Some people when they get LASIK have to get it set up like that. My dads eyes are that way.

Interesting issue. I think I might be sort of 'eye-bidextrous' or something. I get varying results when I do these kinds of tests, and sometimes think I might be left dominant, but I shoot with my right eye and use it when looking in a telescope and such. I've tried shooting with the left, but it doesn't work well. I'm right handed and have always shot rifles using my right eye so maybe it's just a habit I can't break and when I draw, I invariably see the sight picture through my right eye. I'm fairly happy with my accuracy so I may not go messing around with this...

However, ya'll have me thinking of a very interesting issue: I am planning on getting some of the new Trijicon HD sights for my HK. I have been thinking of getting the yellow front sight, but I realize now I need to do an experiment. Because my right eye sees colors in a more red-ish hue, whereas my left sees more blue-ish, I may need to determine which color my right eye picks up quicker, and see if I can use this quirk of my vision to help get on target more effortlessly.

With both eyes open, that is!

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    I'm right handed and left eye dominant, had a tough time at first keeping both eye's open. One thing that I read + learned that helped a ton - when you push the gun out and begin to get a sight picture, make sure it is lined up under your dominant eye. I had to adjust and practice this a good bit, and just practicing getting a sight picture with both eye's open helps too. Just practice and it becomes habbit. Now it's easy, normal and habbit. Closing one eye now feels wierd. You'll get it, just practice.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

All of the dominance tests I try show neither eye being dominate. I see this as a good thing, since I shoot handguns right handed and long guns left handed.

Distinguished Member
    I was taught to shoot with both eyes open. It's a matter of concentrating on one eye or the other. It is much more comfortable to keep both eyes open. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    That being said I sort of made up my own drill that worked for me. I just pointed my strong arm forefinger at things with both eyes open. Invariably my finger points exactly to what I point at. I just let my strong arm line the gun up my weak going along with it while maintaining a good grip. With a little practice point shooting out to 30 feet is very easy for me and most times a bit farther.
    To add to it:
    The gun should fit your hand as to be an extension to your arm. If you can look at something, and point to it automatically, if teh gun fits your hand, it will be pointed at what you are looking at.
    MOST self defense situations happen at shorter distances. A synopsis of POLICE shooting say average is 21', 2.5 shots fired in 3 seconds. At 21' is should not be necessary to use sights. It willl just slow you down, and the object is to disable the BG before he can disable you. There is no second place winner in a gun fight
    DO NOT practice by blacking out one eye or simular methods, unless you wear the patch all the time in public. Practie as to how you carry.

Glad this subject has come up again. I've tried both eyes open and can't seem to get the hang of it. Guess, I just need to practice more, employing one or more tips provided here. Thanks all!

Interesting, I cannot find the source, but I read somewhere that the average self defense interaction happens inside of 12 feet and with only two rounds fired. Not sure how to validate that but I practice from holster for two round shots, center mass at 15 feet most of the time.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm cockeyed, so I just shoot two guns.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links