Acquiring target with both eyes open

This is a discussion on Acquiring target with both eyes open within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I practice at short distances too because it makes me feel like I'm good at this :D I can shoot the crap outta some zombie ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Acquiring target with both eyes open

I practice at short distances too because it makes me feel like I'm good at this :D I can shoot the crap outta some zombie splatter targets!!
    I do remember hearing that too. I took an LFI course when I first got my permit and he talked about that, although I don't remember the numbers he mentioned.

Off to the outdoor range today. Got a new 10/22 to play with and actually found a small amount of .40 to run through the Sig so I will practice these things.

Thanks for all the responses.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You don't want to look like a pirate when defending yourself in a Wally World parking lot.
    arrr

The trick is to acquire the target BEFORE you point the firearm. It's easiest to learn with two side by side targets. Alternate shots between target making sure you acquire the second target before you move your gun. Start very slowly and deliberately. Gradually you'll be able to become faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bstock87 View Post
    I think that's called mono vision. Some people when they get LASIK have to get it set up like that. My dads eyes are that way.
    That's exactly what I've done. I had surgery on both eyes when young and never really had stereo vision. I had Lasik in 2001 and when I consulted with the doctor he suggested just having the left eye done. Its worked pretty well for me.

Re: Acquiring target with both eyes open

I read y'alls posts and was ready to kill it but it was just massive suckage :( I need more practice than I can afford

Re: Acquiring target with both eyes open

Dryfire. Draw on target, pull trigger, then check to see your sights. One shot from the draw. Adjust if necessary.

Good luck.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    I read this is a skill to have and I'm not very good at it. Other than more practice (duh) are there any particular tricks that help?

I shoot OK with both eyes open, but I still have to close my left eye at first to aim.

(I know half my questions could be answered in a class but right now I have neither the $$ nor the time as a full time night class student)
    I feel for you, I have to try hard the other way: keeping one eye shut, feels really unnatural and makes me nervous (as with a long-gun). Anyway, both eyes open was natural from the beginning.

As others have said:

One thing you can do: open both eyes and stick a finger out at arms length. Slowly move it back towards the eyes. It will naturally go to one or the other eye as it gets real close. Whichever eye it goes to is your dominate eye.

Now, say it's the right eye your finger naturally goes to, so your right-eye dominate. If, with both eyes open, you see a double image of the target, the one you want to aim at is the right image. If you don't pay attention to the left image, it will be ignored by your brain sooner or later. Then it's easy: you only see two images at very beginning of your aim, then for all practical purposes, the right one will look clear and it will seem the only image.

You can practice this home, don't even need a gun. Just use a hand stretched out as the gun, focusing on the front.

There's also "Point Shooting" too. At the range pull your gun and just aim looking at the target. Now keep your hand where it is and check by eye-aiming as usual, front sight focused: is the gun aimed withing pie-plate around bulls-eye? Is so, after a bit draw and fire one looking only at the target. How did you do? Best way to learn point-shooting is with a coach who can help you. This is for close-up shots, no time to aim, within say 8'.

I read a report once: interviews with folks who had been in real shootings at night (was to see how effective night-sights were - but likely results would be similar in daylight in many cases). Many were police. Anyway, hardly anyone had time to use both sights: the most anyone could do was get a quick look at the front sight hopefully placing it quickly on the target. No time to use both sights - and some had no time to use either, pure point-shooting. They all lived to tell about it though!

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AVGuy View Post
    My vision is kinda skewed and I use my right eye for close objects and the left for far objects. Hopefully more practice time will help me adjust to keeping both open.
    I have been wearing contacts for years. As i get older my adjustable range has changed. I have contacts that are set for the right eye to focus clearly from ten inches to about 16 inches past my out-streched fingertips. My left eye focuses clearly from about there to as far as I can see. After a couple of days I got used to it and it works great. The non-clear eye for any distance still helps tremendously with spatial relationships and is only a little bit fuzzy. I can see clearly far down the road AND read the speedo and GPS on my bike's fuel tank. Even better is pistol shooting, both the sights and target are clear. For close up detail work I use a standard pair of reading glasses with one lens removed. I actually have a legitimate reason to have a monocle made, but can't find anyone locally who can do it properly.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

i use to shoot with one eye closed until I started shooting compound bows and realized how much better i can shoot with both eyes vs 1 eye. Decided to test that out with my guns and it was awesome. Never went back. I sometimes even shoot with both eyes opened when shooting a rifle with a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    To add to it:
    The gun should fit your hand as to be an extension to your arm. If you can look at something, and point to it automatically, if teh gun fits your hand, it will be pointed at what you are looking at.
    MOST self defense situations happen at shorter distances. A synopsis of POLICE shooting say average is 21', 2.5 shots fired in 3 seconds. At 21' is should not be necessary to use sights. It willl just slow you down, and the object is to disable the BG before he can disable you. There is no second place winner in a gun fight
    DO NOT practice by blacking out one eye or simular methods, unless you wear the patch all the time in public. Practie as to how you carry.
    Agree totally;
    When I started shooting,I looked at all kinds of eyewear for shooting but finally decided that since I train for SD shooting, I just wear what I have on normally. That is, just glasses with a distance Rx.
    I just look at the front sight with both eyes and fire. The less I think about it,the better.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    I read this is a skill to have and I'm not very good at it. Other than more practice (duh) are there any particular tricks that help?

I shoot OK with both eyes open, but I still have to close my left eye at first to aim.

(I know half my questions could be answered in a class but right now I have neither the $$ nor the time as a full time night class student)
    Just stop the one eye closed thing and practice, in a real life situation your not going to close an eye to shoot the BG. I'm a righty shooter with a left eye dominance so I was all screwed up, took a while shooting with both open but I'm much better now.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Thats the same test we did in the NRA class

After almost shooting a friend of my mothers when i was a small boy i started shooting keeping my non dominanat eye squinted or partially open while shooting. Doing this made it easier to see other people around me. though it was not my fault the dude almost got shot given that he walked in front of me i still wanted to know what was all around me. shooting that way for a long time i can now focus on the gun with my dominant eye while keeping my other completely open so as to see what is around me.

One of my glocks has a trijicon rmr mounted on it (yes I do often carry this glock) using this glock with two eyes open took practice or just remembering not to close one, but now I find myself shooting everything with both eyes open!

I am right handed & left eye dominate. I have learned to deal with it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links