Home Depot answer to my CC question.

This is a discussion on Home Depot answer to my CC question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Zero_ Even if they have a sign, it's still not illegal. I've always wondered though, if there is an incident, and you ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Home Depot answer to my CC question.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero_ View Post
    Even if they have a sign, it's still not illegal. I've always wondered though, if there is an incident, and you have to defend your self in a store that has a sign posted, what the legal ramifications would be.
    Here in NC they will prosecute you under this statue.......

The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

(c) Except as provided in G.S. 14‑415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

(1) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, and 14‑277.2.

(2) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.4, except as allowed under G.S. 14‑269.4(6).

(3) In an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1.

(4) In any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922 or any other federal law.

(5) In a law enforcement or correctional facility.

(6) In a building housing only State or federal offices.

(7) In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government.

(8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.
    Last edited by dben002; February 4th, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Zero_ View Post
    Even if they have a sign, it's still not illegal. I've always wondered though, if there is an incident, and you have to defend your self in a store that has a sign posted, what the legal ramifications would be.
    I'm not a para-legal and I haven't played one in a school play or anything but I'm guessing you may pay some fines, lose your job, and/or do some time but you and those you defended would be alive. You won't be getting a bill for this legal advice so don't call me as an expert witness or to defend you in court.
    Last edited by joker1; February 4th, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I have open carried in Home Depot with no problems.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I'm not a para-legal and I haven't played one in a school play or anything but I'm guessing you may pay some fines or do some time but you and those you defended would be alive. You won't be getting a bill for this legal advice so don't call me as an expert witness or to defend you in court.
    I may call you..if I do..just spend the night before in a Holiday Inn Express and we will be good to go....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    Why would you even ask.
    I asked because I had heard that Home Depot was anti-gun. Another reason I asked is because there is so much competition in the home repair business, if they confirmed an anti-gun policy, I can easily avoid going there.

I like their reply and now I can shop there in good conscience. I like to follow the rules when I can and I avoid shopping anywhere that displays an anti-gun policy by sign or other action.
    Fitch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Hear in NC they will prosecute you under this statue.......

The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

(c) Except as provided in G.S. 14‑415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

(1) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, and 14‑277.2.

(2) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.4, except as allowed under G.S. 14‑269.4(6).

(3) In an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1.

(4) In any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922 or any other federal law.

(5) In a law enforcement or correctional facility.

(6) In a building housing only State or federal offices.

(7) In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government.

(8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.
    In Florida, we don't have that law. There is nothing in the law that says you CAN'T carry on private property. That may be their policy and they have the right to ask you to leave if they find out you're carrying, but that doesn't make the fact you are carrying an illegal offense. So that brings up the interesting question of, if what you're doing is against store policy, but not illegal according to state law, what would be the out come after an incident in the store.

Does that make more sense?

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Actually, I would refer to the previous comment from a Home Depot employee regarding that North Carolina statute. If what he says is correct, then the local store is not in compliance with corporate policy, and I will guarantee you that the guy in the local store is not the legal owner of the premises. Even the in control of can be questioned, as that control comes from the corporate level.

If you see that sign, report them.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Here in FL there is no need to ask any business about their pro or anti position on firearms.
    Signs mean absolutely nothing...there are very few of them anyway.
    If one is carrying in the correct manner, no one is going to know your SD business.
    Get on with life.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Most corporations do not allow individual store/managers to set a lot of "policy" for the same reason many states (and hopefully more) have "preemption" laws on guns--if anybody and everybody sets their own rules, no right hand knows what the left is doing. Franchises, on the other hand, are individually owned and operated, paying a hefty fee to use the brand name and products. Home Depot are coprorate stores, not franchises.

In the case of the NC store having a "no-guns" sign, I would document it by photograph and submit it to corporate HQ as a complaint. I guarantee you HD does not want to lose business to Lowes, especially in NC!
    Fitch and bigmacque like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by HillyBilly View Post
    Here in Kansas if it's not posted we don't try to draw attention or stir anything up, just some food for thought..
    This. In Florida where the OP lives, signs have no weight of law and mean nothing! Why go looking for trouble. I am not even clear on why he wrote the letter in the first place.
    Consealed is consealed regards.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I asked because I had heard that Home Depot was anti-gun. Another reason I asked is because there is so much competition in the home repair business, if they confirmed an anti-gun policy, I can easily avoid going there.

I like their reply and now I can shop there in good conscience. I like to follow the rules when I can and I avoid shopping anywhere that displays an anti-gun policy by sign or other action.
    So you asked because you "heard"? No sign, no anti-gun policy, you heard...... You like to follow the rules, but what rule would you be violating even of there were a sign?
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    don't ask....don't tell
    Wrong forum.
    dben002 likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Keep asking, and eventually somebody will tell you "NO".
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Hello All you gun lubers....We need to tell Home Depot when we shop there we support them. Lord knows I sure let others know when I will not be back. If we do not tell them we will continue to get what we are getting. Off my soap box now, thanks for listening.
    RoadKill likes this.
    I Love Guns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Here in FL there is no need to ask any business about their pro or anti position on firearms.
    Signs mean absolutely nothing...there are very few of them anyway.
    If one is carrying in the correct manner, no one is going to know your SD business.
    Get on with life.
    Yes, I believe in letting Sleeping Dogs Lay!!
    Tony

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links