CCW permits to get when living in IL

This is a discussion on CCW permits to get when living in IL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hedimitrius Also, any new news on Illinois required ban lift? I haven't heard anything since the Newtown fiasco. I started this thread ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CCW permits to get when living in IL

Quote Originally Posted by Hedimitrius View Post
    Also, any new news on Illinois required ban lift? I haven't heard anything since the Newtown fiasco.
    I started this thread a few days ago. The proposed bill is available for reading now.

Illinois Concealed Carry Bill Revealed
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Basically, it'll depend on the different states you'd care to travel to. You'll find some will be better than others.

Utah's non-resident CHL would be a decent one, normally. Trouble is, Utah has apparently changed their rules (as of Jan 1 2012), requiring that folks applying for their non-res CHL must first have a CHL in their states of residence. Sort of kills it for IL residents, where no such CHL for residents exists (yet).
    You are correct. I was not able to apply for my Utah license until I received my WI license. You must send proof of CHL from your state of residence. In my case I had to send a photocopy of my WI CCL.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Trouble is, Utah has apparently changed their rules (as of Jan 1 2012), requiring that folks applying for their non-res CHL must first have a CHL in their states of residence. Sort of kills it for IL residents, where no such CHL for residents exists (yet).

I have the Utah app in front of me right now. It states...

If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the utah CFP or has reciprocy with utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states visit: Reciprocity with Other States | Utah Department of Public Safety Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the utah permit this does not apply

So they might accept IL applicants. You'll have to log on to their website to find that out for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunn217 View Post
    I have the Utah app in front of me right now. It states...

So they might accept IL applicants. You'll have to log on to their website to find that out for yourself.
    They do accept applicants from Illinois.

I like Arizona because it is pretty low cost, and they don't print your address on it so if you move you don't have to get a new permit. Of course, if you don't plan on moving that doesn't matter much. AZ is pretty fast, too (16 days mailbox to mailbox for both me and the wife in October).

How do you get permits in other states?

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    How do you get permits in other states?
    It's generally called a "non-resident" license/permit. While the statutes vary from state to state (obviously), basically you look up the state's laws regarding the issuing of CHL's for non-residents, then you apply. Many allow for any other citizen to apply for one, though some require your state of residency to be in an adjoining state. Some require you to provide proof of having a good and valid reason for believing you need a non-res CHL. And some require you to first have a CHL in your own state of residency (ie, Utah, as of Jan 2012).

The result is that you basically extend the number of states in which you can lawfully carry with a CHL. Though, recognize that not all states recognize the non-resident variants of CHL's from states they otherwise recognize. You'll need to check for each state in which you want to travel. The web site handgunlaw.us can be a good place to start (though, it's only a start, and it might contain the occasional error here and there given the simple fact that it's not the actual statutes that each state is going to rely upon).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    This drives my friends crazy. My CCW is good in most states minus CA, OR, IL, and a handful, in the northeast, but my buddy from WI can not carry here.

I did not realize that you can get a non resident permit in other places.
    Michigan will honor all other state licenses if your a resident of the state that issued the license. If your buddy from WI has a license from WI, he can carry here.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Michigan will honor all other state licenses if your a resident of the state that issued the license. If your buddy from WI has a license from WI, he can carry here.
    Are you sure that's not just the UP, a state unto itself? lol
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links