CCW permits to get when living in IL

This is a discussion on CCW permits to get when living in IL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello again DC. Been awhile since I posted but I'm still around. I'm getting ready to get my CC permit for other states, because I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CCW permits to get when living in IL

CCW permits to get when living in IL

Hello again DC. Been awhile since I posted but I'm still around.

I'm getting ready to get my CC permit for other states, because I can't get one in IL yet. Does anyone have any insight on which states permits I should apply for? I was thinking I would cover a lot of bases if I get the Pennsylvania and Florida permits, based on the amount of states that honor them. Other opinions would be welcome.

Also, any new news on Illinois required ban lift? I haven't heard anything since the Newtown fiasco.
    - Hedimitrius

Need your knife sharpened? I offer free knife sharpening to all DC members. Just pay shipping both ways and I'll do the rest.

2. Remove Ads

Utah and Florida is the most popular it seems. I chose to get Arizona because I travel to Arizona a lot for family. It also covers Texas which I travel to for friends. Arizona also covers all states I travel through. I would make your decision by how your travel dictates.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedimitrius View Post
    Does anyone have any insight on which states permits I should apply for?

A permit to drive a uhaul, then move! In all seriousness, it depends on the reciprocity you want and where you travel most.
    Stevew, Hedimitrius and DJC7 like this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Reciprocity from florida is very good.Search the reciprocity maps and youll know where youre safe.Most states except the north east NY and up honor floridas permit

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The muliti-permit question . . . again. Just get one from every state so you cover them all--except IL.

How many states outside of IL do you travel to/thru? Get one that covers those. (and why do you return?)
    Hedimitrius likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Utah and Florida have probably the best coverage but it all depends on your needs. Start Your Search Here
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

The news from IL is limited. AG Madigan appealed the court decision and asked for a full panel review from the Fed Court. That basically means she asked the full 15 member panel for a review. I don't have a timetable of even when that will happen let alone when a decision will happen. The good news is the appeal did not delay the deadline to have a CCW bill passed by Springfield.

If I understand that deadline correctly it must be passed by June. But given the arrogance and corruption of the pols in this state they might just ignore the deadline.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

GH
    You have to be careful. I've been led to believe that some states don't honor non-resident licenses from states that they otherwise honor resident licenses. I've also heard that Utah & Florida are good licenses to have for travelers. It would be best if you researched all the states you want to be covered even if you have to give a call to their licensing authority or state police. Some reciprocity has changed recently & Handgunlaw.us is on top of those changes fairly quickly.

Move up to WI, get your CCL & happily carry anywhere that's not posted. Open carry with or without a license. Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground are in effect.

Bring money, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I went with Utah and Florida " You will need to shoot at the range to qualify for the FL permit". I'm also waiting for Illinois to get there S#$% together The last word I heard was, The courts gave Illinois 6 months to come up with an exceptable CC law but that was 2 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    You have to be careful. I've been led to believe that some states don't honor non-resident licenses from states that they otherwise honor resident licenses.
    Yep - Michigan.

VIP Member
    To the best of my knowledge, PA now requires you to apply in person for a non-resident permit. You might want to consider a VA non-resident permit. It can be done by mail.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by stevenshizzle View Post
    Yep - Michigan.
    This drives my friends crazy. My CCW is good in most states minus CA, OR, IL, and a handful, in the northeast, but my buddy from WI can not carry here.

I did not realize that you can get a non resident permit in other places.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    You have to be careful. I've been led to believe that some states don't honor non-resident licenses from states that they otherwise honor resident licenses. I've also heard that Utah & Florida are good licenses to have for travelers. It would be best if you researched all the states you want to be covered even if you have to give a call to their licensing authority or state police. Some reciprocity has changed recently & Handgunlaw.us is on top of those changes fairly quickly.

Move up to WI, get your CCL & happily carry anywhere that's not posted. Open carry with or without a license. Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground are in effect.

Bring money, lol.
    x2 on the move We are creating jobs
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunn217 View Post
    A permit to drive a uhaul, then move! In all seriousness, it depends on the reciprocity you want and where you travel most.
    If I didn't work for the state of illinois I would reside elsewhere. Until I retire or get a new job (and who wants to do that) I will have to stay in this pit of corruption.

I travel to Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, and Indiana on a pretty regular basis. Anyone around my area that is also planning on doing the Florida license? Maybe we can get a class together.
    - Hedimitrius

Need your knife sharpened? I offer free knife sharpening to all DC members. Just pay shipping both ways and I'll do the rest.

Basically, it'll depend on the different states you'd care to travel to. You'll find some will be better than others.

Utah's non-resident CHL would be a decent one, normally. Trouble is, Utah has apparently changed their rules (as of Jan 1 2012), requiring that folks applying for their non-res CHL must first have a CHL in their states of residence. Sort of kills it for IL residents, where no such CHL for residents exists (yet).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links