Conversion Kit for S&W Shield??

This is a discussion on Conversion Kit for S&W Shield?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody know if there is, or will be, a .22LR conversion kit available for the Shield?...

Does anybody know if there is, or will be, a .22LR conversion kit available for the Shield?

Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Sure, it's called the Ruger SR22. For the price, why wouldn't you want to just go ahead and have TWO independently functional handguns?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The main purpose of a .22 conversion is that you can practice with your Every Day Carry cheaper. Same grip, same trigger pull,

Lets Be Careful Out There!
    Ron
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Sure, it's called the Ruger SR22. For the price, why wouldn't you want to just go ahead and have TWO independently functional handguns?
    Just a note that the Ruger SR22 safety has opposite Safe/Fire positions than the Shield safety. M&P22 is about the closest you'll get, but if I had it to do again, I'd get a Ruger MK II / III or a Browning Buckmark. I'd be interested to see a conversion, but I'm not holding my breath.

I bought a Ruger 22/45 Mark III for my .22 practice pistol, brand new for $250. It has a similar grip and same operation of safety, mag release, and slide lock/release as the Shield, and the trigger pull is reasonably similar. Now that I've owned it a couple months I can definitely recommend it. I decided against the Ruger SR22 for the reason cited above: the safety is inverted.

Quote Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
    Just a note that the Ruger SR22 safety has opposite Safe/Fire positions than the Shield safety.
    That's absolutely true, yet I own a 9mm Shield & have habitually used a thumb safety (1911 & BHP) for decades. There's NO WAY that I will use that tiny S&W Shield safety & hope that I can consistently find it during my draw. Nor would I use the one on the SR22 because neither is capable of being carried "Condition 1". So, IMHO, that's not an issue. For size, grip angle & trigger geometry, I still think the SR22 is a better .22 "trainer" for the Shield than is the full-size M&P .22.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I already have a Ruger MkII, but it is a TOTALLY different gun from the Shield, in virtually every way. I'm interested in handling and firing a similar gun to the Shield for practice.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

So, you'd rather wish for something that doesn't & isn't likely to soon exist (like a Shield .22 conversion)? Uhhh, okay.

Links