"No firearms" posting by private companies

This is a discussion on "No firearms" posting by private companies within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What part of "firearm" is confusing?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: "No firearms" posting by private companies

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What part of "firearm" is confusing?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

In Texas the sign would be no count. The Exception is if the premisies is in the list of No-Gun places named in the law such as, an amusement park, school, school sporting event, polling place, place that derives 51% or more of income from alcohol consumed on premisies(must have a sign stating so), govt building, church, prison, place of execution, and maybe one or two others. If it's not on this list you can carry no matter if they say you can or not. They can ask you to leave and you would have to do so to not be tresspassing, but realistically how would they know you have a gun unless you show it.

The sign wouldn't count as far as I can tell. I suppose a nice dirty lawyer could try and twist it that way but isn't directly stated under the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Superacerc View Post
    In Texas the sign would be no count. The Exception is if the premisies is in the list of No-Gun places named in the law such as, an amusement park, school, school sporting event, polling place, place that derives 51% or more of income from alcohol consumed on premisies(must have a sign stating so), govt building, church, prison, place of execution, and maybe one or two others. If it's not on this list you can carry no matter if they say you can or not. They can ask you to leave and you would have to do so to not be tresspassing, but realistically how would they know you have a gun unless you show it.

The sign wouldn't count as far as I can tell. I suppose a nice dirty lawyer could try and twist it that way but isn't directly stated under the law.
    You cannot carry pass this sign in Texas -

Sign-3006.gif

Also, if you are given verbal warning no guns allowed, you must leave or are in violation of the law.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Remember everyone it varies by state. Laws in Washington and Florida don't help the OP.

OP note, you should be able to search this info up pretty quick.

-john
    There is just a brief section in the revised statutes that talk about private entities, so I just wanted to clarify.

Also, scratch the weight of the law deal - it's a trespassing ticket if caught.

As for colleges, it depends on what public college you're talking about. I know my school allows concealed carry on campus as long as you're not in a dorm room or dinning hall.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What part of "firearm" is confusing?
    Well for example, in Colorado any public place that places "no firearms" signs and does not have security personnel or any means to actually check for weapons (like metal detectors courthouses), they cannot deny concealed carry. Just curious if this is similar on private property.

I appreciate all of the comments.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Re: "No firearms" posting by private companies

Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    You cannot carry pass this sign in Texas -

Sign-3006.gif

Also, if you are given verbal warning no guns allowed, you must leave or are in violation of the law.
    Isnt that the sign typically on govt buildings? as long as it states the code yeah its legit. A sign just saying not to have a firearm wont work though right? Ignoring a verbal warning would make you tresspassing with a firearm which is a big deal.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    concealed is concealed.I have a decent sized staff and none of them knows I carry

Isnt that the sign typically on govt buildings? as long as it states the code yeah its legit. A sign just saying not to have a firearm wont work though right? Ignoring a verbal warning would make you tresspassing with a firearm which is a big deal.
    From Texas 30.06 Forum -

In Texas there are two different signs that restrict a concealed handgun license holder from carrying into a place of business. They are a 30.06 sign, and a 51% sign.

A 30.06 sign is a sign that a business owner can post to restrict a CHL holder from entering the business with a concealed handgun. The sign must contain the exact words required by Section 30.06 in both English and Spanish, be placed in an area visible to the public, and have 1" lettering or it will not be considered a legally-binding 30.06 sign. "Gunbuster" signs, or signs with a red slash through a gun, are not considered valid 30.06 postings.

A 51% sign is a sign that a business is required by law to post if 51% of their revenue is obtained through on-premises drinking, such as at a bar. Unfortunately this also has the consequence of not allowing CHL holders to enter the premises where the drinking is taking place while carrying their handgun.

Additional places are not required to post a sign to forbid CHL holders from entering the premises with their handgun as Texas law already forbids it, such as court houses and educational institutions.

Here is actual code -

§ 30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED
    HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license
    holder:
    (1) carries a handgun under the authority of
    Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another
    without effective consent; and
    (2) received notice that:
    (A) entry on the property by a license holder
    with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or
    (B) remaining on the property with a concealed
    handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.
    (b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice
    if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to
    act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written
    communication.
    (c) In this section:
    (1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section
    30.05(b).
    (2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by
    Section 46.035(f).
    (3) "Written communication" means:
    (A) a card or other document on which is written
    language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06,
    Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed
    handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411,
    Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this
    property with a concealed handgun"; or
    (B) a sign posted on the property that:
    (i) includes the language described by
    Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    (ii) appears in contrasting colors with
    block letters at least one inch in height; and
    (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner
    clearly visible to the public.
    (d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (e) It is an exception to the application of this section
    that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is
    owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or
    other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying
    the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Re: "No firearms" posting by private companies

Thanks. I remember that from the chl class now. I remembered the 51% one clearly and thought there might be another. Ive rarely if ever seen the 30.06 sign then. I have seen the 51% though. Now that im finally nailing down the texas law ill be moving to alaska. Probably get their chl as well just to be safe.

North Carolina has the same rule. It means no firearms, period.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    IANAL:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?
    “YES”
    After discussions with a Practicing Attorney in Colorado I have changed it to Yes that Gun Signs do have the force of law. In many cases the person is just ask to leave and nothing happens. In instances where an Officer is summoned it depends on the Officer. But you can be charged with Trespassing if the Officer believes it is necessary and the owner wishes you to be charged. Any escalation of the situation on your part like not leaving immediately if ask or giving the Owner or Officer a hard time you could also be charged with menacing. The Attorney I talked to is a Defense Attorney and has had such cases.

====================================

Ken
    That is a great website, I have used those no fire arms, no business cards a few times.

Unfortunately it isn't always just business's that do this. The hospital my GF works at has a no weapons sign, and those cards don't really apply to them lol. Which sucks because there are 3 other area hospitals and who knows how many clinics and they have no signs hanging up. So I lock up my gun in a car safe but I take my knives in. No knife laws in NH so they can you know what :).

That school question is complicated. I'm semi in the same boat. I go to a private college of about 500 students and the building they use is owned by a company that has no relation to education and that company also inhabits the first floor, there are also no signs at any door to say no weapons of any sort. Sometimes I carry and sometimes I leave it in my car safe. I'm not fully sure how to approach it ether.

Thanks. I remember that from the chl class now. I remembered the 51% one clearly and thought there might be another. Ive rarely if ever seen the 30.06 sign then. I have seen the 51% though. Now that im finally nailing down the texas law ill be moving to alaska. Probably get their chl as well just to be safe.
    The only 2 I've seen down here in Corpus are at the Time Warner office and the Embassy Suites....

- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by 0331 View Post
    @DaveInEdmonds...now as far as schools go...what about a community college such as BC, there is no state law against that is there? I have been trying to find one but the only thing I can find is some stuff about BC not allowing it as a policy.
    By RCW, guns are not prohibited at the college level:

RCW 9.41.280: Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities ? Penalty ? Exceptions.

HOWEVER, as an institution, Bellevue College has prohibited all firearms and pointy objects:

6420 Weapons and Fireworks, Bellevue College Policies and Procedures

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    In MA, gun-buster signs have no legal standing.
    NRA Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links