"No firearms" posting by private companies

This is a discussion on "No firearms" posting by private companies within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This might be a ridiculous post, but Colorado law states that private companies are capable of stopping people from carrying firearms inside their establishments and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: "No firearms" posting by private companies

This might be a ridiculous post, but Colorado law states that private companies are capable of stopping people from carrying firearms inside their establishments and it does hold the weight of the law. If there is a sign that says "No firearms," does this include CCP holders? Or do they have to specifically say no concealed carry?
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

VIP Member
    Normally "No Firearms" means no firearms concealed or not.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I can't speak for Colorado, but in Washington a "No Guns" sign on private property does not carry any legal weight. If you are spotted with a gun, they have every right to ask you to leave the property, but having the gun itself is not a crime. You can be cited for trespassing if you don't leave. Now, if you're talking about somewhere that is specified by law (school, bar, jail, etc) that is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    In Florida the signs mean nothing unless for some reason the store clerk/employee knows you are carrying and asks you to leave. If you refuse, you can be charged with trespassing.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    In Florida the signs mean nothing unless for some reason the store clerk/employee knows you are carrying and asks you to leave. If you refuse, you can be charged with trespassing.
    Actually, you can be asked to leave with or without a firearm, for ANY reason. Behave yourself and stay concealed.
    9MMare, bigmacque, OldVet and 2 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

@DaveInEdmonds...now as far as schools go...what about a community college such as BC, there is no state law against that is there? I have been trying to find one but the only thing I can find is some stuff about BC not allowing it as a policy.

Quote Originally Posted by 0331 View Post
    @DaveInEdmonds...now as far as schools go...what about a community college such as BC, there is no state law against that is there? I have been trying to find one but the only thing I can find is some stuff about BC not allowing it as a policy.
    One thing about colleges, unlike stores and other public places, is that a college can expel you for violating their policy.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadsmiles View Post
    This might be a ridiculous post, but Colorado law states that private companies are capable of stopping people from carrying firearms inside their establishments and it does hold the weight of the law. If there is a sign that says "No firearms," does this include CCP holders? Or do they have to specifically say no concealed carry?

Seems pretty clear to me. If CO's posted signs conform to state regulations and do carry legal consequences, then it would be illegal for cc permit holders to carry there.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Remember everyone it varies by state. Laws in Washington and Florida don't help the OP.

OP note, you should be able to search this info up pretty quick.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Remember everyone it varies by state. Laws in Washington and Florida don't help the OP.

OP note, you should be able to search this info up pretty quick.

-john
    Yes, that's probably why they were specifying how it worked in 'their states.'
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

IANAL:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?
    “YES”
    After discussions with a Practicing Attorney in Colorado I have changed it to Yes that Gun Signs do have the force of law. In many cases the person is just ask to leave and nothing happens. In instances where an Officer is summoned it depends on the Officer. But you can be charged with Trespassing if the Officer believes it is necessary and the owner wishes you to be charged. Any escalation of the situation on your part like not leaving immediately if ask or giving the Owner or Officer a hard time you could also be charged with menacing. The Attorney I talked to is a Defense Attorney and has had such cases.

====================================

Ken

You do not have to be asked to leave in order to be trespassing. Any sign is a conveyance of the property owners wishes. If you walk past the sign doing something the property owner has conveyed they do not want done, you are already trespassing.

Adj. 1. trespassing - gradually intrusive without right or permission trespassing - gradually intrusive without right or permission; "we moved back from the encroaching tide"; "invasive tourists"; "trespassing hunters"

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I remember going to a therapist office for my neck and the first thing was a no firearms in building.I pointed out to the young lady working onme
    that the sign had no legal bearing other than if I refused to leave property if I they knew I had a firearm in their office all the company could do is
    have me summons for treaspassing. I told them their legal department better check Maine Laws.I pointed out their firarms policy was company policy,
    not law.
    When I went back to the doctor who sent me there I told him I wouldn't spend my hard earned dollars at establishments that didn't support my believes.
    There are millions of gun owners and we have a great tool at our disposal:boycott little things like this has to start at grass roots level one person at a time!
    rutcrazed and gunfan like this.

VIP Member
    From Handgunlaw.us

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?
    “YES”
    After discussions with a Practicing Attorney in Colorado I have changed it to Yes that Gun Signs do have the force of law. In many cases the person is just ask to leave and nothing happens. In instances where an Officer is summoned it depends on the Officer. But you can be charged with Trespassing if the Officer believes it is necessary and the owner wishes you to be charged.
    If they post it, don't spend your money there.
    gunfan likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Amen Brother!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    I remember going to a therapist office for my neck and the first thing was a no firearms in building.I pointed out to the young lady working onme
    that the sign had no legal bearing other than if I refused to leave property if I they knew I had a firearm in their office all the company could do is
    have me summons for treaspassing. I told them their legal department better check Maine Laws.I pointed out their firarms policy was company policy,
    not law.
    When I went back to the doctor who sent me there I told him I wouldn't spend my hard earned dollars at establishments that didn't support my believes.
    There are millions of gun owners and we have a great tool at our disposal:boycott little things like this has to start at grass roots level one person at a time!
    gunfan likes this.
    I Love Guns!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links