South Carolina Non-Resident Question

This is a discussion on South Carolina Non-Resident Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since Georgia and South Carolina refuse to play nice together, what is the best approach to carry legally in South Carolina? I am going to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NCSoxFan

Thread: South Carolina Non-Resident Question

Since Georgia and South Carolina refuse to play nice together, what is the best approach to carry legally in South Carolina?
    I am going to be traveling there on a regular basis from Georgia and I don't want to be doing that "naked"

GeorgiaCarry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

Since S.C. Does not recognize out of state non-resident permits, your only option would be to option would be to get an SC nonresident permit.. But you must own land in s.c. To do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Correct...if you dont own land/home here you cant get one. I wish everyone just got along. I travel from SC to FL a lot and have to lock it in the truck while in GA. A pain.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    In Massachusetts, we have the same problem. We're bordered by RI, NH, VT, and CT with ME and VT close by. None of those states recognize a MA CCW despite the fact that we have some of the most rigorous gun laws in the country. I support the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act...but both anti-gun and pro-gun forces oppose it, for very different reasons of course.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

It won't help you,so far as carrying,but,in S.C.,you can keep it in your car,as long as its in a closed compartment.(glovebox,console)Trunk also,but,if you needed it,kinda hard to get to trunk,if you are driving,lol.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    In Massachusetts, we have the same problem. We're bordered by RI, NH, VT, and CT with ME and VT close by. None of those states recognize a MA CCW despite the fact that we have some of the most rigorous gun laws in the country. I support the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act...but both anti-gun and pro-gun forces oppose it, for very different reasons of course.
    Since MA refuses to recognize any other state permit, why should they expect other states to recognize theirs?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregnsc View Post
    It won't help you,so far as carrying,but,in S.C.,you can keep it in your car,as long as its in a closed compartment.(glovebox,console)Trunk also,but,if you needed it,kinda hard to get to trunk,if you are driving,lol.
    So I can keep it IN the car? Locked up?

GeorgiaCarry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Since MA refuses to recognize any other state permit, why should they expect other states to recognize theirs?
    Do too! Do not! Do too! Do not! Do too! Do not! Some states just can't play well.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    That's because Massachussetts likes to blame NH, VT, and ME for selling all the weapons used in MA violent crimes. At least that what the big billboard by Fenway claimed for years.
    mbguy29577 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I also travel from GA to SC a lot. I've read the SC law a couple of times and I read it to say you can keep a gun in the car as long as it isn't visible. When I make the trip I keep mine in the center consol.

Distinguished Member
    I actually have a follow up question regarding property ownership - does the law specify a minimum amount of land? Also, how does it apply to rented property? If my schedule stays the way it looks it might, I am wondering if I could buy a grave plot and count that as owning land? Or, maybe I could use a company lease? I don't live there, but I might have a business address; is that enough?

Links