Am I reading this correctly or am I confused ???

This is a discussion on Am I reading this correctly or am I confused ??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; North Carolina CCW Reciprocity This map will show you what states you can carry in if you have a North Carolina permit. Remember that you ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Am I reading this correctly or am I confused ???

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Am I reading this correctly or am I confused ???

North Carolina CCW Reciprocity

This map will show you what states you can carry in if you have a North Carolina permit. Remember that you must abide by the laws of the state that you are in, and not the laws of the state that issued your permit. Make sure that you know and understand the laws of the state where you are carrying.

Also, some states require you to be a resident of the state which issued your permit in order to enjoy reciprocity rights in their state (see states highlighted in yellow). If you have a non-resident permit those states will not honor your permit.

see map here: http://http://www.youcancarry.com/north-carolina-ccw-reciprocity/
    According to this, as I am not a resident of Florida, my Florida CCL would not be valid in Florida ????
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2. Remove Ads

I took it to mean you must be a resident of the issuing state. I.E. if they won't honor an out of state permit from Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by spwz99 View Post
    I took it to mean you must be a resident of the issuing state. I.E. if they won't honor an out of state permit from Utah.
    Exactly...they will honor my NC license as I am a resident in NC..but they will not honor my Florida License as I don't live there....weird
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    I'm confused, too. Your North Carolina permit is honored by more states than a Florida permit. Why would you get a Florida permit?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Be careful taking the word of third party, non-government sites for gun laws. According to the NC DOJ we're good in FL.
    Concealed Handguns Reciprocity

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm confused, too. Your North Carolina permit is honored by more states than a Florida permit. Why would you get a Florida permit?
    Well Mike, it's a stupid story to be honest...I spend a lot of time in Fla..and to be safe I though If I ever had a problem in Florida it might be best to show them a Florida License
    to avoid any confusion by LEO's..so I got both NC and Florida...but it looks like Florida will not accept a Florida License from a out of state citizen....live and learn....

I go into N.C sometimes,and i'm glad my ccw is good.I try to keep looking over their ccw laws once in a while.But it said,you couldn't have any bombs,grenades,rockets,or missles.What a bummer,lol.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Maybe I can make it simple.

Florida will honor permits from holders in the other states in the reciprocy agreement IF you are a resident of that state. You cannot be a resident of NY with a Utah permit, resident or non-resident, and have it honored in FL. No three-way deals.

If you have a FL CWFL, you are good to go in FL, regardless of your state of residency. FL does not have "non-" resident licenses.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Maybe I can make it simple.

Florida will honor permits from holders in the other states in the reciprocy agreement IF you are a resident of that state. You cannot be a resident of NY with a Utah permit, resident or non-resident, and have it honored in FL. No three-way deals.

If you have a FL CWFL, you are good to go in FL, regardless of your state of residency. FL does not have "non-" resident licenses.
    Thanks for that clarification...the map to me shows that in Florida you must be a resident of the state in which you have a license....it's all very confusing ...but you live there so You know for sure, I'm sure..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes, that map can be misleading. FL will honor NC permit only if you're a resident of NC, no other state. FL will honor a Fl CWFL for resident of any state.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links