Helping in any way I can

Helping in any way I can

This is a discussion on Helping in any way I can within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went to do my taxes yesterday, always fun. I run a mobile DJ business and on my permit is listed Mobile DJ. So ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By palmcoaster
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By pir8fan
  • 1 Post By Zero_
  • 1 Post By MrBuckwheat
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By BigJon10125

Thread: Helping in any way I can

Helping in any way I can

So I went to do my taxes yesterday, always fun.

I run a mobile DJ business and on my permit is listed Mobile DJ. So I figured I carry as part of my way of protecting my assets (equipment, cash paid at gigs etc.) I should see if I can write off my carry guns! So I debated on whether or not to do this with my tax lady. She seems to be on the conservative side, but figured well, it can be a fair chunk of money saved and a good excuse to buy carry guns so I brought it up as business like as I could.

After discussing the details of the tax law etc, she stopped and said "OK this has nothing to do with taxes, I do not mind if you do not tell me, but I would like to know what is involved in getting a permit to carry a gun. I want to if I can".

I was thrilled. I explained the process and also offered to help in any way I could. I am sure it was something she has considered and I do not take credit for changing her mind. In CA, everyone thinks they can not get a CCW permit. Our county seems to be one of a few exceptions. I really feel like educating people who are interested in it is something that I can do, and so I try to.

I know a lot of people never tell, and I rarely do, but think that sometimes there are exceptions as to why one should and for me this was one.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Even some of the people you would least expect are carrying or would like to
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Funny that you say that PC. When I was leaving the Sheriff station the other day, a young man, whom I would consider a "hipster" was adding a kahr cm9 to his permit. Very nice to see.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Even in gun friendly states, many people have no idea what the requirements are to get a permit. Something as simple as the mention of a handgun can get them to ask the question of someone they think might know. Sometimes that is all it takes.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post

I run a mobile DJ business and on my permit is listed Mobile DJ. So I figured I carry as part of my way of protecting my assets (equipment, cash paid at gigs etc.) I should see if I can write off my carry guns! So I debated on whether or not to do this with my tax lady. She seems to be on the conservative side, but figured well, it can be a fair chunk of money saved and a good excuse to buy carry guns so I brought it up as business like as I could.

After discussing the details of the tax law etc, she stopped and said "OK this has nothing to do with taxes, I do not mind if you do not tell me, but I would like to know what is involved in getting a permit to carry a gun. I want to if I can".

I was thrilled. I explained the process and also offered to help in any way I could. I am sure it was something she has considered and I do not take credit for changing her mind. In CA, everyone thinks they can not get a CCW permit. Our county seems to be one of a few exceptions. I really feel like educating people who are interested in it is something that I can do, and so I try to.

I know a lot of people never tell, and I rarely do, but think that sometimes there are exceptions as to why one should and for me this was one.
    That's great! The more people on our side the better...

Isn't it kind of a shame that it's like we're some sort of secret organization or something... where somebody has to ask somebody who might be a member of the club, how they can join?

Here you got a tax lady... somebody who deals with bureaucracy every day in her job... who, at some level doesn't even trust her government to ask somebody in it about the details... she has to maybe hope somebody will come along that maybe she can ask...
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post

At my CPA firm, we routinely write-off firearm purchases for our clients that travel a lot or out late at night. Our reasoning is that if it weren't for their jobs, they wouldn't have made the purchase. Thus, in my eyes, it's business related. Besides, I carry all the time. I'll support anyone that does.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Interesting post, as I'm kind of in the middle of same thing. I know you're not supposed to tell, no one should know, but among my friends, they all know guns are a hobby of mine. Not all of them know I carry, but a few of them do. I have found, especially lately, several people have several questions about firearms, the laws, and what it takes to carry, and what kind of training is available. I've had so many conversations with people lately who just had no idea about anything gun related. One girl was scared to HOLD a gun even. I unloaded mine, and explained how it worked, and how, especially with no ammo, it's completely safe, just a piece of metal. The girl was deathly afraid to even touch it. She now wants to go the range.

The way I see it, the more people who are educated, the better. I'm not running around shoving guns in every one's hands, but at the same time, everyone knows they can ask me anything they want, from how it all works to even go to the range with me to practice some.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

VIP Member
    Interesting, I wish you would have been allowed a deduction. New angle if I can protect myself and will not get beat up and require medical attention, I should get a tax deduction (not requiring Obamacare). Plus not as much LE will be used double deduction You could purchase more firearms with your refund.

Hope you got her hooked up with a good program!
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

That's funny because I was getting me taxes done last night and my accountant noticed my ccw card as I was getting my DL out. She is in her late 60's or early 70's, very much a "proper lady", and asked what I carry. She then proceeded to tell me about her several carry pistols, her AK's and AR's, and her custom Barret 50! You can never tell who is a "gun nut".
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Back to the important stuff--did you get to write off your "business" expenses?
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Interesting, I wish you would have been allowed a deduction. New angle if I can protect myself and will not get beat up and require medical attention, I should get a tax deduction (not requiring Obamacare). Plus not as much LE will be used double deduction You could purchase more firearms with your refund.

Hope you got her hooked up with a good program!
    MrBuckwheat, reading my post I can see that I did not mention, but I DID get the write off, and was able to write off my ammo as training. She has always been straight up with me and will let me know if there is anything that doesn't fly. Not one of those, let's see how much money we can get you by being shady types.
    OldVet and MrBuckwheat like this.
    BigJon

That's something I never thought of when it came to taxes. I'm glad you got to write it off.

Sponsored Links