CC and the work place!

This is a discussion on CC and the work place! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone I am a new user resting in the state of Washington. I recently just started to CC my S&W M&P 9mm and love ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CC and the work place!

CC and the work place!

Hey everyone I am a new user resting in the state of Washington. I recently just started to CC my S&W M&P 9mm and love it. But there is one thing that always worries me a tad bit. At my place of employment i can be walked off the property no questions asked for having a firearm on the property. I still carry every day knowing the risk. I am just sticking with the plan of not telling anyone that I am carrying on the property. Any tips or advice would be Awesome!!

2. Remove Ads

CC and the work place!

Welcome from Alaska

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there was ANY way to safely store your CCW off your person that would be my advice. If and when you are made you likely risk loseing not only your job but your CCW permit as well. I dont leave my CCW in my car but don't feel comfortable keeping it on my person. I could find another job but as I didn't get my employers approval for CCW carrying at work would likely be a violation that would cause the Sherrif to revoak my permit. Everybody's work situation is different but I suggest taking another look at your situation and how to keep your CCW permit LONGTERM.

I don't have a firearm one my person when i come onto work property but it is tucked away in my pick up along with my holster so someone walking by doesn't see it. There is a no tolerance rule about firearms on the property. I wouldn't feel i have to carry when i come to work if i didn't have to go through a shady part of town to avoid the 10,000 plus traffic rush. But I understand what you mean when you say long term just kinda stuck right now haha

Welcome!!

It's true that you could lose your job for this. That is the employer's prerogative. I don't think you would be in trouble with the authorities, though, unless you refused to leave the property when asked. Then you could be busted for trespassing. That would be a problem.

Sometimes you're stuck, and you just have to live without having your firearm with you while working.

Distinguished Member
    Welcome form GA!

If its concealed in your car out of site what's the problem? To mitigate risk you might want to get some sort of lock box and car alarm. Just don't tell ANYBODY and you should be fine. I would look into your state laws just so you know what your up against and the risk you take. In general you can't lose your permit for carrying in a "no gun zone" of private businesses. This might differ in regards to employers though. On my CCW application it was specifically asked if I was going to be carrying at work and if so management had to sign off on it. Breaking that agreement could cost me my CCW. Always carry, never tell has to be balanced with your continued right to carry. We as CCW holders have an extra duty to be lawfull to retain the "privilege" to carry although it should be a right.

If it's illegal to be on the property...don't do it.
    If it's just company policy, they YOU have to decide if you can take the chance.

Check with your state laws first, then go from there.
    It's pretty easy to hide a firearm in a vehicle so it cannot be found...tell no one that you even like guns.
    Your best friend who you share that info with...may not always be your best friend...I'm just sayin'...
    Aceoky and GaryB like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Getsmith- that's kind of the train of thought i had. if i don't tell anyone and it out of site i don't see the problem. I have seen a co workers pull and AR and a 1911 out of the trunk of his car and was showing it off to some other co workers. When I signed up for my CWP i had to just have a background check and finger prints nothing regarding work what so ever..

Its not state/city law just company policy to not carry. But I will defiantly Re think who i talk guns or let me see reading gun magazines at work.

As retsupt99 said - If it's just company policy you're up against, then you need to decide if it is worth risking your job. No clue what your occupation entails, but my question is - do you feel safe at work? If so, you might want to look into keeping it locked up in the car. Otherwise, it's better to remain quite about it, rather than remove all doubt by talking about guns at work.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

My firearm stays locked up in my pick up at all time when I'm at work. I'm in the aerospace industry. But to answer your question yes I feel safe at work it's the to and from work. It's also 11 or 1 am by the time I'm off work. Not saying I'm scared of the dark or anything but the freaks come out at night!

I wouldnt worry about losing your CPL , just ur job IF you get caught, EVERYTHING in washington seems to fall under state law, basically no one can make any laws stopping you from going into there place unless the state says so....EVEN BEL-SQUARE!!! ha well thats touchy but still state law...anyways yeah I would just keep it hidden and not say anything...only issue is keep it deeply hidden, I would carry at work but I have to tuck my shirt in at work and im always bending and moving, gunna get an ankle holster and a little .380 down the line but for now it stays in the truck.

If I could and felt the need I would carry a firearm but since I cant i might invest in a safe that fits into my pick ups center console and has a lock and key.

I routinely carry in the office, I'm a part owner of the business and the majority owner is a CHL holder also. I don't usually carry on my person in office as it's kind of annoying, but keep my weapon within easy reach either in my desk drawer or in my bag.

I'm VP of HR, and have been in the universally hated side of business for almost 10 years and I can tell you that being discovered carrying a weapon against policy is a guaranteed way to get fired immediately. I'm a staunch 2A and legal CCW advocate, but I will fire an illegally carrying employee immediately. We had an incident about a year ago where a contract employee threatened via phone to commit a mass shooting in our offices, that was a significant impetus into me getting my CHL.

My advice is to get a more easily concealed weapon, the M&P9 is way too big for deep concealment. Think mouse guns, LCP, LC9, PF9 etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links