NY state CCW permit questions

This is a discussion on NY state CCW permit questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey people, I'm new to this forum. I'm waiting on my hearing for my CCW in NY. Just wondering what kind of questions the state ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: NY state CCW permit questions

Hey people, I'm new to this forum. I'm waiting on my hearing for my CCW in NY.
    Just wondering what kind of questions the state or judge ask pertaining to the license.
    What to expect? Etc

They have no standard questions, it rests in the hands of the judge you appear before. Some are easy as they do not impose anti-gun beliefs on you..., others not so much. I think I was asked if I believed in God, why I wanted to carry a handgun and how long have I been around firearms?

Good Luck
    rottkeeper
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

My NY permit was issued by a judge but I didn't have to appear in front of the judge. The sheriff's deputy doing my background investigation asked me a number of questions as well as my references were extensively questioned about me, but they were the routine type questions about stability, temperment, incidents of domestic violence (or lack of), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MDR90 View Post
    Hey people, I'm new to this forum. I'm waiting on my hearing for my CCW in NY.
    Just wondering what kind of questions the state or judge ask pertaining to the license.
    What to expect? Etc
    Likely, discussion will center on your reasons for a CCW -

If you have no history with the military or as some kind of police officer here's what I would do (based on suggestion from the VERY nice Pistol Permit Officer of the Court -or Judge, whatever): go down to your County Permit Office, tell them you want to change the type of permit requested on your original application to Business Carry. See if that means re-doing the whole application or just enclosing an explanation changing the type-of-application on the original. Hopefully it will just be the latter (mine was but I had help from the Permit Officer).

BEFORE you do that though, think if you might have a second business that involves need for personal protection. I did: Photography, carrying expensive equipment and at night because I specialized in Night Photography (this is true) and/or I carried cash around at time to buy business-related gear.

Home Remodeling is a good one for a business if it's applicable - you'd be exposed to danger in certain areas and would have expensive equipment. Anyhow, think if anything you do fits that kind of bill. Not necessary to prove how much money you make on it. Then, go down to your County Hall and get a DOING BUSINESS IN _________ (fill in the blank for your county). Mine was a DOING BUSINESS IN ERIE COUNTY CERTIFICATE. Cost was $30 five years ago. Nothing is asked. You make up a name for your business - they send you a few feet away to check historical records to see if that name has been used in the past 50 or 60 years, forget how many exactly. You look thru a list of all business-names and if yours is not on there you are approved at once and given the physical certificate (or if not, you just invent another name not on historic list).

TAKE THAT WITH YOU when you to Permit Office - it's your proof of having a Business, take a short letter you wrote explaining why you changed the application-type (just say it applied more to your situation) and from there it's a snap to get a CCW Business Carry - which you can use almost as often as a regular CCW (carry cash for your business around with you - but not a huge amount)

Anyway, the reason this was suggested to me (over the phone) by Permit Officer was because he said my original application-type would not fly well with the reasons I had put down - then he saw the photography mention I had put in my original application and from there followed his suggestion. He even said as soon as I changed the application type he would immediately approve a Business-Carry Permit, and he did!
    Last edited by detective; February 8th, 2013 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks guys. It's embarrassing to say that I know I'll be nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by MDR90 View Post
    Thanks guys. It's embarrassing to say that I know I'll be nervous.
    Just tell them the truth, make your answers to questions simple and clear, you'll do fine.

Good Luck! And let us know how it was.

Don't worry about it. The gov is not going to let you have any guns. Really you need to work on throwing those clowns out of office!
    Eagleks likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I feel sorry for you people that live in places like NY. In TX, you don't need to justify or get interviewed by anyone for a CHL. Just take the class, get fingerprinted and send money to state. If you pass the background check, you'll get you CHL in the mail in a few weeks. No need to talk to a judge or sheriff, no need to justify your need.

Also, no gun registration, no magazine size limits, no waiting periods, no license necessary to purchase, no prohibition on scary "assault weapons". And with your CHL, no NICS check when you purchase from an FFL.
    Eagleks likes this.

Don't be nervous at all. NY is a little tougher than most states but they shouldn't deny you if you qualify for a permit legally. The best thing you can do is take additional safety courses and demonstrate that you are honest, safe and have good intentions

by the way when you get your pistol permit you should visit ftwny.com and apply for a few out of state licenses. I went through this guys course and obtained some other permits in Utah and Arizona and soon Florida. These states have reciprocity with a lot of other states and opens up a huge portion of the country for CCW. Assuming you are in Western New York of course

I just applied last month for the CC herer in NY, I went with the Bussiness Carry as I do Property Managment and just go into a lot of shady areas of town. Remember and correct me if im wrong but here in NY you can not use deadly force to protect property of any kind you have to be in a situation that you feel threated with bodly harm or fear of your life. The DBA cost $32 and you get it the same day. Now I guess I play the waiting game that I have been told it might take up to a year. Good luck and I'm sure you will do fine.

Usually addressed in the application...What training have you had?
    How and where do you intend on carrying your pistol?
    Do you have a safe or other secure method of storing it?
    (depends on county-some require purchase before applying) What pistol are you getting?
    If you put down target and hunting for reasons...What range do you belong to and do you have a hunting license?
    If self defense, have some GOOD reasons(This also depends on the county).

Hope this helps.

bosco
    MDR90 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bflohunter View Post
    by the way when you get your pistol permit you should visit ftwny.com and apply for a few out of state licenses. I went through this guys course and obtained some other permits in Utah and Arizona and soon Florida. These states have reciprocity with a lot of other states and opens up a huge portion of the country for CCW. Assuming you are in Western New York of course
    Thanks Hunter,
    I live just outside of NYC so it may be a little too far. But it's something to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by jaime720 View Post
    I just applied last month for the CC herer in NY, I went with the Bussiness Carry as I do Property Managment and just go into a lot of shady areas of town. Remember and correct me if im wrong but here in NY you can not use deadly force to protect property of any kind you have to be in a situation that you feel threated with bodly harm or fear of your life. The DBA cost $32 and you get it the same day. Now I guess I play the waiting game that I have been told it might take up to a year. Good luck and I'm sure you will do fine.
    Jaime here are the laws for NY state. Read #3. I constantly argue this with people at work. Don't think you can just use deadly force at any time.

S 35.20 Justification; use of physical force in defense of premises and
    in defense of a person in the course of burglary.
    1. Any person may use physical force upon another person when he or
    she reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate
    what he or she reasonably believes to be the commission or attempted
    commission by such other person of a crime involving damage to premises.
    Such person may use any degree of physical force, other than deadly
    physical force, which he or she reasonably believes to be necessary for
    such purpose, and may use deadly physical force if he or she reasonably
    believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or
    attempted commission of arson.
    2. A person in possession or control of any premises, or a person
    licensed or privileged to be thereon or therein, may use physical force
    upon another person when he or she reasonably believes such to be
    necessary to prevent or terminate what he or she reasonably believes to
    be the commission or attempted commission by such other person of a
    criminal trespass upon such premises. Such person may use any degree of
    physical force, other than deadly physical force, which he or she
    reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose, and may use deadly
    physical force in order to prevent or terminate the commission or
    attempted commission of arson, as prescribed in subdivision one, or in
    the course of a burglary or attempted burglary, as prescribed in
    subdivision three.
    3. A person in possession or control of, or licensed or privileged to
    be in, a dwelling or an occupied building, who reasonably believes that
    another person is committing or attempting to commit a burglary of such
    dwelling or building, may use deadly physical force upon such other
    person when he or she reasonably believes such to be necessary to
    prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of such
    burglary.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Don't worry about it. The gov is not going to let you have any guns. Really you need to work on throwing those clowns out of office!
    Just what I was thinking BkCo1. Why worry about a CCWP when you can't carry anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links