First time CC experience - no problems, just felt a little odd initially

This is a discussion on First time CC experience - no problems, just felt a little odd initially within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been a CHL holder for about a year now and have been a regular at the practice range, home pistol draw (with snap caps), ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: First time CC experience - no problems, just felt a little odd initially

I've been a CHL holder for about a year now and have been a regular at the practice range, home pistol draw (with snap caps), handling, etc. to better familiarize myself. I've been carrying in the vehicle for some time now, but never on my person. So, last night I finally carried my pistol on-body, concealed, IWB. I needed to head to the mall (no 30.06 signs) after dark and thought it'd be a good initial session. I also stopped by Academy and a sub shop too. It did feel a little odd walking into the mall knowing I had a pistol strapped to my side. I have no military or police history, so carrying in public is a completely new experience. No issues to report. Just need to get more comfortable with having a hard block on my side (Glock 27). Also need to get less figidity about whether it's printing or not. I had a tucked undershirt and a loose t-shirt over, untucked. I've got a tuckable IWB holster coming in the mail soon to I can be alittle more formal dressed than an untucked t-shirt. I did feel a little more at ease (not less alert) walking through the parking lot. Not that carrying will solve most or even many hostile surprise situations, but it at least gives me a fighting chance should confrontation arrise.

This site have been very valuable with regards to scenarios, appropriate reactions, etc. to better prepare the defensive carry citizen. Thanks.
    DJC7 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats on the first carry, but remember, until you make the Wally World walk, your still not broken in.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Congrats. Your feelings are pretty "normal" for the first time carrying out in public. Just relax and realize not everyone is staring at you. Most people are totally unaware of their surroundings anyway. When you get out of your vehicle, check to ensure you are not printing, then leave it alone! Do not constantly keep checking, patting it, adjusting, etc., which would draw attention to yourself. Once you've made the initial check, leave it alone. The more you carry, the more comfortable you'll become with it until you reach a point you feel uncomfortalbe and not natural if you are NOT carrying! Good luck and enjoy being among those who take responsibility for their own safety.
    gregnsc likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post
    I did feel a little more at ease (not less alert) walking through the parking lot.
    This is an important point to pick up on. Simply carrying a firearm emboldens you. You will carry yourself more confidently. Criminals are body language experts, preying on those they perceive as weak like jackals prey on the sick members of a herd. The posture you adopt as a result of being a trained and responsible firearm carrier can, and does, deter criminals from making you their target.

So keep it in your pants, swagger like a boss and let the scum fear you!

What JDE101 said.Congrats,stay safe.

Congratulations!!!

I remember my first time. The urge to touch your weapon and or holster to see if it is covered will be great. Resist that urge lol
    ayce2 likes this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Wally world, wally world, wally world
    MasterGadgets and Aceoky like this.

Congrats on the first time carrying. I have only been carrying for a 2 months and it takes some getting used to. My first time just happen to be at Wally World, I needed ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by palmcoaster View Post
    Wally world, wally world, wally world
    Will he need to buy ammo, paper towel, string cheese, and a pair of socks to make it official?

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    Will he need to buy ammo, paper towel, string cheese, and a pair of socks to make it official?
    He can skip the ammo part cause if his wally world is anything like ours, shelves are bare. Poor guy might have to make 20 trips to walmart before he finds ammo.
    NCSoxFan and inneyeseakay like this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

Congrats! Keep it up, it gets easy as you practice more. Now your journey of a drawer full of holsters and "does this holster make my waist look big" begins.

Also, if you have not already done so, get a good belt. I use a Gun Belts by The Belt Man
    MasterGadgets likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Congrats! I'd suggest carrying more often to get used to the feeling. You eventually get used to it and can even forget you have it on you.

As others have said, try not to think about it. "Adjust" when you know you are in a place where people can't see or aren't looking, so that you don't tip your hand.

Concealed is concealed, after all.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

First time is always the hardest. You'll get used to it in no time. I for one appreciate the fact that you are armed and safe. As a couple of people have said, it won't be long till you'll feel weird NOT having that "block" on your side. Don't leave home without it.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

It might help you to continue to carry when you are home. The more you can get used to the feeling, the less you will be concerned.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

I felt odd as well, but for me I always thought everyone knoew I was carrying. That was the wierdest feeling for me. It took a while to realize that nobody was staring at me or noticing. My wife doesn't even notice, so the rest of the people will never notice unless you accidently show.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links