Other possible benefits of having a CCW permit

This is a discussion on Other possible benefits of having a CCW permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hold a Utah non resident carry permit, what advantages for the purchase of any firearm would be available for my case, I travel some ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By dcody40
  • 2 Post By archer51
  • 2 Post By tony1990
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Other possible benefits of having a CCW permit

I hold a Utah non resident carry permit, what advantages for the purchase of any firearm would be available for my case, I travel some and find deals in various places every once in awhile. Some states have a waiting period for hanguns and some special rifles, most bolt actions and shotguns can be taken that day. I have had firearms shipped to my state dealer for the proper transfer and Instant checks done in the past, but now with the permit, is this still the only way to go !
    Basic question, besides being able to carry in a bunch of states other than my own at the moment (MD). MD permits are getting closer But no cigar yet !
    Does having a CCW permit help any with the purchase of any firearms for an out of state person. I have heard rumors to that effect in some states. What do you guys say ?
    Just curious about this and trying to find any possible benefits towards those of us who have gone through the process and obtained our permits.

I'm not intending to cheat the system, just looking for any extra benefits that we may have once we get our various permits.

Thanks.
    tony1990 likes this.

I may be wrong here and if so I stand corrected in advance, but I don't believe you can buy outside of you're state of residence without having it shipped to you're state! In MT with a ccw I do not even have to wait for the instant check to go through before leaving with the new fire arm, rifle or handgun.

VIP Member
    Depending on the laws of your state, you may be able to get a long gun in a neighboring state immediately. However for a handgun, you will still need to have it shipped to a FFL in your home state for the transfer to take place.
    Aceoky and airslot like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It is correct that in Montana, showing your CCW and fill out the form and your good to go.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I am not sure what kind of benefits you are looking for but if you are single and met a girl you really like to start a long relationship with, there is a good one. Just ask her if she has a CCW or CHL and if she says yes you don't have to worry to much about her past. The State has already cleared her to be 21, legal resident of your state, no criminal record, Etc, Etc.... Just like you. Just be careful she may be a better shot than you are.

BenGoodLuck and ninjahippie like this.
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    In FL, having a CWFL eliminates the waiting period--period.
    JaxRolo likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

In Michigan the CPL replaces the background check for a handgun, yet interestingly when I purchased a new 22 rifle last month they called in for a background check. I told the owner of the gun store that I had a CPL if that made it easier but he said that the cPL doesnt apply for rifles, and besides he said that there had been a flood of forged CPL licenses in Michigan so he is doing background checks on all purchases.

I can understand this I suppose. If he sold a gun to someone with a forged CPL the BATF would show up and close down his store. The background check only took a few minutes so it wasn't a big deal and I walked out with my new ruger 10/22 takedown.

Fake edit (If the weapons ban is impleminted and there are BATF agents reading this then the gun was stolen out of my house the next day, along with my AK-47 and my shotgun and two handguns.)

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Unless every LGS owner is an "expert" in detecting forged permits--which can be very authentic--why would he be held responsible?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Good answers, especialy the one about women with permits lol ! I guess I will test these various issues in my travels. I have heard several related comments on various forums, so all is good. What my main issue was, is waiting periods, for us that already have firearms, and a permit to carry. The old cool down period is just that, old, and in our cases, kind of a waste of time, although I have never had an immediate reason to obtain a new firearm, so no hurry, but when traveling through some places, it would be a pain to have a waiting period before I could pick it up and give it a new home. I have used the typical ship to my home state dealer in the past, and that's the easiest way most of the time.
    Although it ends up costing a bit more for the use of the dealer's FFL. And also having to do another instant check, it does work, but every state, and even parts of states, or counties follow different processes. I do believe We should just have an all state concealed carry permit, with very clear regulations pertaining to these issues, zip the waiting period for us licensed individuals. I guess that problem is just getting all the states on the same page, we don't really want this at the national level as we know it would be screwed up somehow lol ! Stay safe out there and thanks for the info. Oh and I try real hard to stay out of some of those super duper anti everything states that we are all familiar with lol !

That was a good comeback Tony, my girl friend is still at mostly hitting all around the target, then she gets a big head with an accidental x hit once in awhile. But practice makes perfect for some. And she was uptight about my reloading and permit, even before she was introduced to my safe and other shooting irons, she settled down after awhile, once she got a demo of the reloading process, and got to know my background better, now she's all grins when I say lets load the truck for a range outing.
    She's a keeper, even if she does end up outshooting me one day, but that is probably not coming as she is a small frame lady, and my big rifles kick her butt just picking them up, so I'm not worried, plus she still don't understand why the M1 or M1a make my whole body move when shooting, even after explaining the shock absorber process of dumping the recoil action and rolling back into position for the next shot. One day !

Sponsored Links