Things you can do to become comfortable (physical not mental) with carrying before yo

Things you can do to become comfortable (physical not mental) with carrying before yo

This is a discussion on Things you can do to become comfortable (physical not mental) with carrying before yo within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am taking my CPL class early next month, then I anticipate a substantial wait time before my card actually arrives, and would like to ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By palmcoaster
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By matthew03

Thread: Things you can do to become comfortable (physical not mental) with carrying before yo

I am taking my CPL class early next month, then I anticipate a substantial wait time before my card actually arrives, and would like to start caring as soon as I open up that envelope.

But what can one do to become comfortable with carrying without actually carrying the weapon?

One friend suggested that I buy my holster now, and fill up a sock with sand matching the approximate weight of the gun, and wear that around for a while. He also suggested carrying (weapon and all) around the house until the card arrives.

Another went as far as suggesting that cut out a gun out of wood to match the size of the weapon, (paint it bright orange), and try to see if I can get the weight to match with metal washers.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Get comfortable with your holster and carry around the house.that is about it
    Aceoky likes this.

The weight thing wasn't a big issue for me. It will be more weight than you have now so be ready. Get a good belt, and wear your gun and holster around the house. If you can do it for a full day I highly recommend that. Also wear just the holster w/o gun. This will give you an idea of what the holster will do on your "self" if you have to leave the gun in a car safe for a time.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Wear it around the house as much as you can. Especially on your days off where you might be able to go all day. They weight becomes more noticable the longer you have it on. If you are concerned about accidental or negligent discharges, carry it unloaded and watch to see if you have any issues. If you are concerned about people noticing, put it on and ask somoe one else to guess whether or not you are carrying or ask them where your gun is. You will probably be amazed at how well the gun dissapperas and how little people pay attention.

VIP Member
    Wearing it around the house should be all you need to do. I wouldn't worry about the sock or wooden gun idea. Also, as BigJon said, get a good quality gun belt. You can spend several hundred to a thousand + on your gun and holster rig, but unless you have a good belt to support it, your wasting your money.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

NMB
    Make sure you get a good holster and belt.

Wear it all the time around the house, go sit in your car in the garage/drive way and see how drawing with your seat belt works.

Practice drawing in front of the mirror, starting with a "hands up, im being robbed" starting position.

Just some of the things I did.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Play the theme music to Miami Vice, Mission Impossible, NY Undercover or any of your favorite spy/police/action shows while you run from office to office, driving in your car, etc. Anytime you hear a loud boom, someone shouting, or a baby cry practice taking cover and drawing your imaginary weapon or a cell phone could suffice. Kicking doors down takes a lot of practice, hint: start with lightweight interior doors, wear comfortable shoes.

Seriously though, you would be better off studying your states laws and statutes. If the idea is to break in your gear, do so with an unloaded pistol at home and practice your drawstroke and safe reholsering. Go slow and build up muscle memory being very cognizant of trigger discipline and of a clear trigger guard when holstering. Practice getting your front sight on target and dry firing your weapon. I have drawn on myself innumerable times over the years in the mirror; don't dry fire at every instance. Get used to drawing and firing and drawing with your reflection, (bad guy), complying. Good luck and be safe.
    MJClark likes this.

GH
    I'd carry it at home exactly the way you would carry away from home - loaded gun in holster. That way you'd be able to try different holster positions see which existing belt that you own works best so you can decide if you need a belt made specifically for carrying. Many holsters need to be broken in so now you're accomplishing that, too. You may also decide that the holster you get doesn't fit all situations & you might want to get another one - maybe one for OWB & one for IWB. While waiting for your card to arrive you can go to the range & shoot as many rounds as you can afford. Make sure that you follow all laws in transporting your firearm before you get a permit. Probably unloaded, cased & not within your reach but check first.

There's an old Army saying -"train as you fight & fight as you train".
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I would recommend wearing it around the house, with the magazine loaded, but not one in the chamber. Get comfortable with that, or find the most comfortable position. Once you get your permit, and you know where you're going to wear it, THEN carry with one in the chamber. You're in no danger if the mag is loaded, and you still have the weight of the gun, to experiment with.

So what you are ALL telling me is to wear it around the house, and sometimes out of the house without the gun.

Thanks for all the help!

Weight, depends on what you carry. You should carry whatever in a way that it is comfortable.

Links