Moving to Kentucky

This is a discussion on Moving to Kentucky within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Michigan and have had a CCW now for 14 years. Due to my job relocation, I will be moving to Kentucky. What ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Moving to Kentucky

Moving to Kentucky

I live in Michigan and have had a CCW now for 14 years. Due to my job relocation, I will be moving to Kentucky. What do I need to do to transfer/aquire a Kentucky CCW?

All that I have found on the web is general laws of Ky. ccw and nothing about my question. Any help out there?

Thanks!

Barry

2. Remove Ads

Welcome! You'll find your answers here Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons, and don't hesitate to call 'em.

The Commonwealth is a great place to be a firearm owner. Where in the state are you headed?

No bringing any University of Michigan paraphernalia with you. That's actually a law...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Yep,No Maize and blue allowed. Its big blue down there, They bleed blue

KY as stated is great (With open carry permitted, NO city etc. can make rules more strict than state laws, etc. etc. etc. ) The state constitution is strong for gun ownership as well. Most of the people are great IMO as well.

Good luck in your move and enjoy what sounds like a little more freedom in Kentucky.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    Welcome! You'll find your answers here Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons, and don't hesitate to call 'em.

The Commonwealth is a great place to be a firearm owner. Where in the state are you headed?
    Thanks for the replys all. Will call the Ky. State Police with question.

Heading to Bowling Green area. Transfering to the Corvette plant to build the next generation of engines.

Barry

Advanced welcome from KY. (Louisville area)
    KY has been a very pro gun state for many years and we hope it stays that way. However, reported in the Louisville Courier-Journal today was this article on Democrats putting two gun control measures in the House and Senate.
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...ky-legislature
    Don't know if they have a chance to get out of committee for a vote.
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

Before you do go read all of Ghost Trackers posts and make sure you truly want to be closer to him

Congrats on moving to a free state. Stay safe.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    You have t be a KY resident for 6 months before you can apply, but I wonder how your MI license would apply while you establish residency. I am curious to find out what you learn from the State Police.

My daughter went to grad school in Bowling Green, easy run to Nashville.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Those bills (at least in their current state ) have zero chance of passing and violate several parts of the KY Constitution, many parts that do not are already laws on the books. This is a "I tried to do something anti gun" PR stunt, even they admitted they won't pass.

OP I think you will like the Bowling Green (BG ) area , some good folks that area as well (I'm far W of there LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Keech View Post
    Advanced welcome from KY. (Louisville area)
    KY has been a very pro gun state for many years and we hope it stays that way. However, reported in the Louisville Courier-Journal today was this article on Democrats putting two gun control measures in the House and Senate.
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...ky-legislature
    Don't know if they have a chance to get out of committee for a vote.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    You have t be a KY resident for 6 months before you can apply, but I wonder how your MI license would apply while you establish residency. I am curious to find out what you learn from the State Police.

My daughter went to grad school in Bowling Green, easy run to Nashville.
    That would be my first question to the State Police. Can I use my Mi. permit in Ky. till I get 6 months residency then apply for a Ky. permit and will the Ky. resiprication of Mi. permits be enough to cover me till then. I'll post the answer when I get it.

Thanks to all of you for responding. Looking forward to being a resident of Kentucky! Getting tired of the crappy Mi. Winters, expecially today! We got 6" over night and the driving sucked this morning.

Barry

Hope this helps you out.
    From the Ky state police website.

Can I transfer my concealed weapons license or training certificate from another state to Kentucky?

There is no statutory authority for another state's license to carry a concealed weapon to be transferred to Kentucky. Individuals that wish to apply for a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon in Kentucky must meet the requirements set forth in KRS 237.110, including the residency and training requirements. Currently, no waiver of the training requirement is authorized based upon prior completion of out of state training approved for obtaining a license in another jurisdiction. The only training waivers authorized by statute are for the following individuals listed in KRS 237.110(6):

"(a) Peace officers who are currently certified as peace officers by the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council pursuant to KRS 15.380 to 15.404 and peace officers who are retired and are members of the Kentucky Employees Retirement System, State Police Retirement System, or County Employees Retirement System or other retirement system operated by or for a city, county, or urban-county in Kentucky shall be deemed to have met the training requirement.

(b) Current and retired peace officers of the following federal agencies shall be deemed to have met the training requirement:

Any peace officer employed by a federal agency specified in KRS 61.365;
    Any peace officer employed by a federal civilian law enforcement agency not specified above who has successfully completed the basic law enforcement training course required by that agency;
    Any military peace officer of the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Air Force, or a reserve component thereof, or of the Army Reserve or Air Force Reserve who has successfully completed the military law enforcement training course required by that branch of the military; and
    Any member of the United States Coast Guard serving in a peace officer role who has successfully completed the law enforcement training course specified by the United States Coast Guard."

Welcome to the gun friendly state of KY. I'm a big OSU fan, having grown up in Ohio. So we'll have to agree on UK.

Looks like a long waiting period for your CCDW permit. You'll have to meet the residency requirement, then training, then...... WAIT!

Welcome to Kentucky! I moved here 10 years ago and have no desire to leave. This place is great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links