Receiving an ordered firearm in FL, wish I'd realized

This is a discussion on Receiving an ordered firearm in FL, wish I'd realized within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi! My husband and I recently applied for my CCL in Florida. I've been looking at & researching a pistol to carry and decided on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Receiving an ordered firearm in FL, wish I'd realized

Receiving an ordered firearm in FL, wish I'd realized

Hi! My husband and I recently applied for my CCL in Florida. I've been looking at & researching a pistol to carry and decided on a Sig P238. I found a pretty sweet deal on a new one with a laser, ordered & talked to my local gun shop about taking receipt with them.

I was thrilled that the gun shipped really quickly & got a call Wednesday afternoon from the gun store. I ran down to pick up my shiny new P238, yay!!!! Anyone guess yet what happened? I don't actually *have* my CCL yet. In the past we've bought firearms from friends, never from a dealer. Sooo, like a newb I hadn't filled out the paperwork. So, I filled out the paperwork and I get to wait until next Tuesday to pick up my gun.

So in conclusion, don't be as silly as me. If you live in Florida, when you order your gun, go that day and fill out the paperwork. Then your three day cool-off period will be while the gun ships.

On the bright side, I got to take home my spare magazine.
    lchamp likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Wow, that is terrible for you!

I hadn't realised Florida had a waiting period. I thought they were supposed to be a gun-friendly state?
    oneshot and atctimmy like this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Florida does have a 3 day waiting period unless you have cwp
    bigmacque and pittypat21 like this.

VIP Member
    Just think of it like a wedding and honeymoon. The call saying it was in was the wedding, the day you get to pick it up will be the honeymoon.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Hahaha (I only laugh because that would be my luck as well)... oh well, good things come to those who wait, right?

Well I finally got to pick up my pistol! I can't go to the range until Thursday so I've been spending some time familiarizing myself with all the different features. I LOVE how easy this gun racks. The safety is really stiff, which is nice. I can't imagine accidentally clicking it off without realizing it.

The Sig P238 is a great carry size. I put on an IWB holster at 5:00 and have been carrying around the house. It's pretty easy to conceal. I've definitely discovered that lower rise jeans offer better comfort and access. I tried on the holster with some dressy trouser style pants and the grip was poking my lower ribs & I'm 5'8". That was a surprise. It works great with my lower rise (below belly button) jeans.

I'm still waiting on my CCP to arrive, so I hope to have plenty of time to practice alot in the mean time. I have some snap caps ordered, & don't think I'll have this gun loaded other than at the range until I'm more sure of myself. I'm reading "Essential Guide to Handguns: Firearm Instruction for Personal Defense and Protection" & kicking around the idea of taking a self-defense class. Might just let my husband give me more instruction. What do y'all think? Thanks for your encouragement.
    Thunder71, Aceoky and Tzadik like this.

I'm glad we don't have a waiting period,but,if we did,3 days,isn't to bad.

I guess that depends on how many try to kill us over those three days !
    sauerpuss and pittypat21 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    Well I finally got to pick up my pistol! I can't go to the range until Thursday so I've been spending some time familiarizing myself with all the different features. I LOVE how easy this gun racks. The safety is really stiff, which is nice. I can't imagine accidentally clicking it off without realizing it.

The Sig P238 is a great carry size. I put on an IWB holster at 5:00 and have been carrying around the house. It's pretty easy to conceal. I've definitely discovered that lower rise jeans offer better comfort and access. I tried on the holster with some dressy trouser style pants and the grip was poking my lower ribs & I'm 5'8". That was a surprise. It works great with my lower rise (below belly button) jeans.

I'm still waiting on my CCP to arrive, so I hope to have plenty of time to practice alot in the mean time. I have some snap caps ordered, & don't think I'll have this gun loaded other than at the range until I'm more sure of myself. I'm reading "Essential Guide to Handguns: Firearm Instruction for Personal Defense and Protection" & kicking around the idea of taking a self-defense class. Might just let my husband give me more instruction. What do y'all think? Thanks for your encouragement.
    There is a major safety feature of your P238. The gun can be loaded, unloaded, and cleared with the safety on if the hammer is cocked. That means, if you rack it to make sure it's cleared, you can put the safety on, and then load it including racking a shell into the chamber with the safety on. Try it. You'll like it.

Fitch
    Aceoky, pittypat21, Sunny and 1 others like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

fitch i did not realize that was the case, is that the case with all sigs? if so I am getting one asap

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiCoupl View Post
    fitch i did not realize that was the case, is that the case with all sigs? if so I am getting one asap
    It's true of the P238 and the P938. I don't know of any others SIG models that have that feature.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Sunny,

The best advice I can give you is to handle that weapon... A lot. I bet you can pick up your cell phone in the dark and know exactly where all the controls are without ever having to think about it. You should have this same proficiency with your gun. Use those snap caps and practice using the safety, mag changes etc... Get a feel for the hammer and the trigger.
    My wife thinks i'm crazy when I drill her on this, but it's just like using a chainsaw, or a computer or any other kind of tool.
    The more you do it, the better you get at it. Practice makes perfect.
    mburmaster likes this.

Florida's 3 day waiting period only pertains to handguns if you do not have a CWP. "Long guns" you can walk out with after you pay for it.

What a let-down at the gun shop!!! Congrats on your new gun though!!! I bought my p238 on December 26th, but no CCL yet- waiting, waiting. Aaarrgh!

It was love at first rack with me- a complete and total impulse buy! But since I bought it, I've probably put 600-700 rounds through it give or take and I've loved every minute of it. No problems or issues to report. Have tried about 5 different ammo brands, depending on what's available from Blazers to Bob's Bullets with no issues whatsoever. I like to think that if I had done the research, I still would've ended up with this gun.

And you just can't escape the fact that it is really pretty! :) Enjoy!
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links