FL & PA Reciprocity Changed! -- OH & AZ Non-Resident -- Other Info

This is a discussion on FL & PA Reciprocity Changed! -- OH & AZ Non-Resident -- Other Info within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet FYI: Florida does not have resident and non-resident Concealed Weapons and Firearms Licenses - CWFLs. It will issue a CWFL to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: FL & PA Reciprocity Changed! -- OH & AZ Non-Resident -- Other Info

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    FYI: Florida does not have resident and non-resident Concealed Weapons and Firearms Licenses - CWFLs. It will issue a CWFL to non-residents. As of last year (?) the license no longer lists an address on it, resident or otherwise, because if asked by LE to see your license, you had to also produce state-recognized ID (DL, State ID, etc.).
    I'm pretty sure all carry permits qualify for that little caveat, even the ones with addresses and photos. So, it doesn't have to say on the permit itself whether it's res or non-res to be subject to the law...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

New Member Array Seeker_of_Truth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plode View Post
    I'm not going to go blow $100 on a VA permit, only to have PA close the VA "loophole" while my application is being processed(like they did with FL)
    Which has just happened as of yesterday... I specifically applied for a VA non-res permit because it was honored in PA, which I travel to frequently. And now that's been taken away.

Considering Utah NR now, since its reciprocity is by PA statute instead of by agreement... Means the AG can't change it on her own.

Arizona also.....................

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Yeah... rather than "you can't be a PA res and carry on a FL permit", they're saying "you can't carry on an FL permit unless you have a FL ID".

Lame.
    And to get a FL ID (Drivers License) you must show a FL address and surrender your current license.
    To get a FL state ID (non-DL) you must show a FL address.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Resaprosity in PA is just about over thanks to the Pennsylvania AG......IMO, first step to making PA......West Jersey.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No, it's not. It's over for those who don't have a permit from their state of residency only. FL is and has been the same way--honors only state "resident" permits.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker_of_Truth View Post
    Which has just happened as of yesterday... I specifically applied for a VA non-res permit because it was honored in PA, which I travel to frequently. And now that's been taken away.

Considering Utah NR now, since its reciprocity is by PA statute instead of by agreement... Means the AG can't change it on her own.
    I'm glad I didn't mail the VA application out.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No, it's not. It's over for those who don't have a permit from their state of residency only. FL is and has been the same way--honors only state "resident" permits.
    And for people like me, who live in NJ, it essentially ends all chances of me carrying in PA(except on a UT license) since NJ will not issue permits.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I'm from SC......How hard is it to get a non res permit from PA? And do they still honor NH non res?
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    It is simple to get a PA Non-Resident Permit/License. Starting 3/31/11 PA will no longer issue by mail. You have to make a trip to PA to apply. If they do not issue it to you in your short visit they will mail you the permit/license when it is approved.
    Completed and Signed Application must be accompanied by the following: (You can fill out the App At the Sheriffs Office)
    1. A photo copy of a license to carry a firearm (concealed carry permit) from your home state if that
    state has a concealed carry law. If from IL you should bring your FOID Card.
    2. A photo copy of your Driver's License. (They will most likely make the copies of your Permit/License and Drivers License)
    3. Names, Addresses and Phone #’s of 2 references.
    4. $20.00 to $24.00 fee for five year license and out of state processing. (It could be few dollars more as some Sheriffs do charge a little more)

You have to have a permit from your home state if your home state issue permits. Unless you are from Illinois, DC or Vermont you have to have a permit from your home state. If your state is too restrictive and won’t issue you a permit you can not obtain a Non-Resident Pennsylvania Permit/License. Some Sheriff’s will not issue to non residents and/or have other stipulations to issue to non-residents. Check with the Sheriff’s Dept before you appear to apply.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Gary....just left your sight and do I understand this correctly....If I have a permit from my state, I can still have my gun on me in my car/RV? And from what I understand they still except NH non res permits. Man thanks for all you do to keep us posted. I would have never seen or known this if not for your post.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    That is correct. Even if they no longer honor any non resident permits as long as you have a permit of any kind you can carry in your vehicle. It will take the legislature to change that.

I am hoping not but it looks to me like the AG will amend all their agreements to exclude those who are not residents of the issuing state.

I want to give the Virginia State Police a Thank You. I heard from people who had just applied to VA for a non resident from PA and the VA State Police called them at least 4 days before the amended VA agreement was posted that PA was no longer going to honor the VA non resident. They ask them if they still wanted to apply. That was very nice of the VA State Police to do that.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Names on Licenses in Florida

Folks

Keep in that it appears that the security guard/carry permit licenses are losing the address as of 1 Jan 2013. I renewed my unarmed security with an effective date of 15 December 2012 - it had my address on it when it arrived, but the armed security license with an effective renewal of January 2013 (though it arrived in December 2012) did not. My CWFL renewed in Dec 2009, and is not due for renewal until Mar 2017, and has an address on it.

It may have some relationship to the fact that a given state - Florida in my case - is renewing drivers licenses under the stricter Federal Real ID Act. It might be wise to make sure that the complete name on your birth certificate is what you use in everyday life, if your state is going this route. I only use my middle initial, and in order to get my driver's license corrected from my renewal back in April 2012, I had to renew by passport that way.

I use my middle initial, and my father used his first name initial and full middle name because that's what people knew him by, to keep the bills straight after I came home from the Army in 1970. I have the same exact name he had on my birth certificate, and I do not believe he had a birth certificate (not unusual for a home birth in 1921).

Given that I have north of thirty licenses with my middle initial only (including at least 4 I believe had to go through NICS), I wanted to keep it simple for the mindless bureaucrats.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

This whole thing by the states iis strictly politics,
    as I can't see what it would even remotely reduce crime.....

I, also, would like to see a nationwide recognition of permits. My sister still lives in upstate NY. That state is the only one which I can't carry in, on a road trip there and back. And, I obey the law. What hurts even more, is when I lived there I had a full carry permit.
    I lost tha permit when I moved to Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    Folks

Keep in that it appears that the security guard/carry permit licenses are losing the address as of 1 Jan 2013. I renewed my unarmed security with an effective date of 15 December 2012 - it had my address on it when it arrived, but the armed security license with an effective renewal of January 2013 (though it arrived in December 2012) did not. My CWFL renewed in Dec 2009, and is not due for renewal until Mar 2017, and has an address on it.

It may have some relationship to the fact that a given state - Florida in my case - is renewing drivers licenses under the stricter Federal Real ID Act. It might be wise to make sure that the complete name on your birth certificate is what you use in everyday life, if your state is going this route. I only use my middle initial, and in order to get my driver's license corrected from my renewal back in April 2012, I had to renew by passport that way.

I use my middle initial, and my father used his first name initial and full middle name because that's what people knew him by, to keep the bills straight after I came home from the Army in 1970. I have the same exact name he had on my birth certificate, and I do not believe he had a birth certificate (not unusual for a home birth in 1921).

Given that I have north of thirty licenses with my middle initial only (including at least 4 I believe had to go through NICS), I wanted to keep it simple for the mindless bureaucrats.
    I agree totally. For myself it's easy (no middle name).
    When I worked for the elections board,it amazed me how people had name variations on different pieces of ID.
    Use the entire name on your birth cert....your friends can call you what you want.
    If a woman,keep "maiden name " or not but keep it consistent.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

I guess it was lost in other questions but I think NH non resident is still honored by PA. For us in SC the NH gives us many southern states as well. I had a PA. non resident until they changed it that you had to show up in person. From what i have been reading I will assume that slowly PA. will eliminate honoring all out of state non res. except their own.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links