12 o'clock vs the 4 o'clock in concealment

This is a discussion on 12 o'clock vs the 4 o'clock in concealment within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a little background, I received my CCP a few weeks ago and it was a very exciting time. It has taken awhile to get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 12 o'clock vs the 4 o'clock in concealment

Just a little background, I received my CCP a few weeks ago and it was a very exciting time. It has taken awhile to get used to having a firearm on me but I am getting used to it and it is a comforting feeling. In the course of that time I have changed a couple of things like getting a COM safe in the car for when I need to store it when I cannot carry and just thinking about where I am carrying to in the day. The reason I am posting is that when I was practicing carrying around my home in the 4-4:30 position IWB it was fine, but the first time I went to work carrying (which is the majority I am carrying now) I immediately put my firearm in the 12-1oclock position just because I felt that I can conceal it better when I am bending over and getting items. I am not sure if this makes any rational sense but has anyone else had this happen to them? I like the 4-4:30 position when I am not at work though. My carry gun is a ruger LCR

I am a strictly 4:30/5:00 guy. Anything further to the front, and I feel like its in the way. My biggest contribution to my position to carry is sitting down, whether driving or not. This also contributes to my choice of holster. A DeSantis IWB with no belt clip is very easy to remove for driving, and reinsert when I get out, as a nice leather clipped is not.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I started carrying at the 4 but once I found AIWB I've never looked back. I found it to be more comfortable and a faster draw. It has proven to allow better access while in the drivers seat. Think you are less likely to have someone else bump it while being around others.

For me it's the best way to carry.
    JD likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can live with shooting my butt off.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

9 o'clock here, 2 mags at 3 o'clock.
    SHARE THE SHOOTING SPORTS, AND HUNTING WITH YOUR KIDS.
    http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...29138960_o.jpg
    XDM 5.25 9mm/SA SS 1911A1 Loaded/PK380/SS SingleSix

J-frames 10-11 o'clock. Rohrbaugh LH front pocket. EMP and bigger 8:30. All carries very comfortable.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I moved to AIWB ~ 1:30 a few years ago, but still on occasion carry a Govt. Mod. 1911 at 4-4:30. That is the one pistol that doesn't work well in the Appendix position for me due to the slide/Bbl. length and beaver tail/cocked hammer.
    Last edited by matthew03; February 8th, 2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Spelling error

I greatly prefer AIWB, 4:00 prints for me way too bad. I sometimes carry at 4:00, but rarely.

4:00 for me. If an accident occurred I would shoot myself in the rear, if an accident occurred at 12:00 I would be a Soprano.
    nontechguy and 00z28 like this.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

12:00? You're walking around with a loaded gun pointed at your.... stuff?

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I don't base my pistol wear on where I plan on shooting myself. I wear it at 3:00 because it offers fast access, concealability, and works with my movement.
    People will tend to look at your junk less than your posterior. That's not a compliment, it's just that people tend to either look someone in the eye, or look away. They're not going to size you up when you're in front of them.

VIP Member
    I have carried for years IWB at the 3:30-4:00 position. To me it is comfortable and feels natural. Due to medical issues I amnow looking at changing how ands where I carry. It basically comes down to doing what you need to do to feel comfortable.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

AD happen more often when re holstering or drawing from a holster. I prefer 8-9 Oclock area. When Iwb. It's comfortable and I CCW a small gun. If I go larger then it's OWB . For me it's about comfort and my "felt" safety level. JMO

My uncle, a retired LEO once showed me a convenience store surveillance video that assured me that 12:00 carry wasn't for me. It showed the clerk leave the cash register, lock the door and disappear from view. A few seconds later you hear a gun shot and a scream. The clerk then reappears, slumped over he makes a call to 911 and declares "I need an amubulance at the Jet Market, I shot my d**k off."
    Definitely not for me.
    jp5edc likes this.

...I've carried at 12,1, and 2 o'clock since 1964...revolvers and SA/DA autos, and my 1911 Combat Commander and a Hi-Power...a quality handgun of good design carried in a proper holster by someone who knows how to handle it well isn't going to shoot his anything off...AIWB carrys comfortably for me, hides better than any other position...and for me is always preferred...I won't carry a Glock, XD, or any other "safe action trigger" weapon that way...or any other way...but it's personal preference...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links