How Often Do You Spot (or suspect) Another Person Carrying Conceiled?

This is a discussion on How Often Do You Spot (or suspect) Another Person Carrying Conceiled? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in Florida, we recently hit our 1 millionth CCW license. I saw a breakdown county by county, and excluding kids I did a rough ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: How Often Do You Spot (or suspect) Another Person Carrying Conceiled?

How Often Do You Spot (or suspect) Another Person Carrying Conceiled?

Here in Florida, we recently hit our 1 millionth CCW license. I saw a breakdown county by county, and excluding kids I did a rough calculation that approximately 1 in 14 adults is permitted in my county. When I'm out and about, I watch for who else might be carrying. Of course, any woman with a purse could be. I'm talking about when you see that outline in a pocket, or that buldge under a shirt and you feel pretty confident you just made someone out. Of course, unless it is a glaring case of someone printing, you just suspect and that is what we want. I find that men dressed in loose shirts or wearing a vest or an unbuttoned shirt over a tee shirt grab my attention first.

How often do you see someone carrying with a high degree of certainty, or strongly suspect? Please share an examples of poor carry.

I recently saw an older gentleman with a large frame revolver printing big time at the 04:30 position. It was obvious to me, but of course the average joe probably wouldn't notice.

2. Remove Ads

I don't really look I just figure everyone is packing.

Working at Walmart, I see it almost on a daily basis. The worst "conceal carry" beneath an oversized Glock T-shirt and show you their handgun carry permit as ID when they buy beer. Others are a bit more subtle.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    It is something I seldom pay any attention to. I treat everybody as though we are all armed.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Everytime I go shopping with Mrs SunTzu. I get so bored I have to do something.....call it a hobby.
    BurgerBoy and NCSoxFan like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I'm too busy looking for cheap ammo to notice. Just like other people, kinda occupied with myself.
    american.made likes this.

Have noticed a few on occasion but not really looking. Don't really care what others are doing as long as it doesn't affect me.
    nedrgr21 likes this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

The Carry Game

I'm always searching for people that are carrying. It's become a fun game to pass the time. I'm pretty new to CC though so only recently have I even considered to even look. I'd imagine it doesn't even cross most people's minds.

VIP Member
    Well you figures will be skewed, since FL does not differentiate between those who are residents of FL and those issued to people outside of FL.

As to looking for someone else carrying, I don't. I have far too many other things on my plate to worry about.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Only once. The guy was sitting and his shirt rose a little.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Working at Walmart, I see it almost on a daily basis.
    Agree. Walmart seems to have more than the average number of gun carriers, open and "concealed." The last one I saw was a guy in a slim-fitting t-shirt (untucked) with the clear outline of a Ruger LC9 or something similar carried SOB. He might as well have been open carrying.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    Agree. Walmart seems to have more than the average number of gun carriers, open and "concealed." The last one I saw was a guy in a slim-fitting t-shirt (untucked) with the clear outline of a Ruger LC9 or something similar carried SOB. He might as well have been open carrying.
    They don't call it the "Wally Walk" for nothing. People get their new permit and here they come. It's all good. Everybody just goes about their business and the new permit holder buys some stuff and leaves the store thinking "Wow, I went all the way through Walmart and nobody noticed I was carrying."
    ddanf308 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I'm always looking, as part of my own situational awareness. Not so much to identify the good guys, but to spot the bad guys, before they go overt with their criminal intentions.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I pay attention to everyone around me. I see quite a few folks that I suspect have a firearm. The people that rule out all doubt are usually off duty cops and folks who pocket carry. I am certian it is not hard to figure out that I have a firearm becuase I am of the guys that wear the loose fitting shirts untucked or a heavy Carhart T shirt or a Harley T
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Never, in my life, have I noticed somebody carrying concealed.

Sometimes, at a mall or such, I look around, but usually I don't. It is a waste of effort. If you're trying to stay out of condition white, then you're looking for potential threats. What you are looking for isn't people who are carrying guns, you're looking for people who intend harm.

What you focus on isn't crap like "printing" and other wastes of time. You're looking for predators who present the profile of hostility. If you zero-in on such a person, then you might start to examine whether or not he or she is carrying.

Maybe it's just an effect of the suburban bohemian lifestyle I live, but as far as I can tell, I'm the only armed person around.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links