CCW? I have to ask

CCW? I have to ask

This is a discussion on CCW? I have to ask within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep seeing almost everyone refer to concealed carry by the abbreviation of CCW. Just what does it stand for? In Virginia I have a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW? I have to ask

CCW? I have to ask

I keep seeing almost everyone refer to concealed carry by the abbreviation of CCW. Just what does it stand for? In Virginia I have a CHP, not a CCW. It seems obvious the CC is concealed carry. But what is the W? Weapon just doesn't make sense to me (not in reference to "permit" or "license." Please enlighten this newb!

Oh yeah. Great site!

Carry Concealed Weapon permit (I believe).

In MA we have LTC; License To Carry a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lnd Svyr View Post
    I keep seeing almost everyone refer to concealed carry by the abbreviation of CCW. Just what does it stand for? In Virginia I have a CHP, not a CCW. It seems obvious the CC is concealed carry. But what is the W? Weapon just doesn't make sense to me (not in reference to "permit" or "license." Please enlighten this newb!

Oh yeah. Great site!
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I think it was Concealed Carry Weapon, that over time got used in place of CWP, CHL, LTC, ect.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I've also seen "Concealed Carry Weapon"...

It seems kind of like the military designation for things: "shirt, camouflage, lightweight"... you know, all reversed like that.

It rolls off the tongue better than CHL or CWL (Concealed Handgun License; Concealed Weapon License) so I think that's maybe why it's stuck around.

Here's what acronymfinder has to say about it.

It can be an important distinction sometimes. In Michigan, the law against carrying is the Carrying a Concealed Weapon law and refers to any weapon, not just a pistol. A person in Michigan that has a Concealed Pistol License can still get busted for CCW if he carries a knife, taser, sawed off shotgun, etc. The CPL only allows you to carry a pistol.

CCW is the most common reference nationally, but there is a difference in some states.

Senior Moderator
    Technically here in Arkansas it is CHL/Concealed Hangun Licsence...although I have seen it referred to as CCW amongst other things.

It dont matter as long as we understand what it means.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I've also seen "Concealed Carry Weapon"...

It seems kind of like the military designation for things: "shirt, camouflage, lightweight"... you know, all reversed like that.

It rolls off the tongue better than CHL or CWL (Concealed Handgun License; Concealed Weapon License) so I think that's maybe why it's stuck around.

Here's what acronymfinder has to say about it.
    Not so much... Florida Statutes are quite specific in parts about "firearm", and "weapon". So, for example, I'm explicitly prohibited from carrying my firearm into a bar, but explicitly permitted (as in, I'm not relying on the absence of a restriction, but instead on the specific presence of a permission) to carry blades, pepper, taser, whatever, concealed into that same location.

It varies state by state, and reciprocity is to the "currently in" state - so if I go to a state that issues concealed pistol licenses, and honors Florida's, my permit only allows me to conceal pistols in that state, not the other weapons.

G

ours here is Cpl Concealed Pistol lic since mine wont cover anything but a handgun

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Technically here in Arkansas it is CHL/Concealed Hangun Licsence...although I have seen it referred to as CCW amongst other things.

It dont matter as long as we understand what it means.
    Um. Respectfully, depending on what state you're talking about, it very much DOES matter, as I've just put in another post.

G.

Assistant Administrator
    In PA we have a licence to carry a concealed firearm.

However ''CCW'' has become something of a generic term I think - as against it having to mean a specific, per different state rules etc.

Bit like calling a vacuum cleaner a ''Hoover''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Um. Respectfully, depending on what state you're talking about, it very much DOES matter, as I've just put in another post.
    Actually, I meant in reference to discussions on this board.Since they are as varied as the states, to mean basically the same thing....to carry a concealed handgun...I didnt mean a "legal" definition. Obviously that wasnt clearly stated or understood in my last post.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    It can be an important distinction sometimes. In Michigan, the law against carrying is the Carrying a Concealed Weapon law and refers to any weapon, not just a pistol. A person in Michigan that has a Concealed Pistol License can still get busted for CCW if he carries a knife, taser, sawed off shotgun, etc. The CPL only allows you to carry a pistol.

CCW is the most common reference nationally, but there is a difference in some states.
    Yet another illustration of something I was talking about in a different thread; specifically, about how easy it is to MISTAKE that having 30-someodd states with "shall issue" concealed firearms laws is so wonderful. We may have added a bunch of states in recent years -- yahoo for us! -- but it is coming clear to me that many states have really bad compromises in effect in order to have shall-issue. In some places, it's prohibition against carry in any place that sells alcohol (even if the sale is for off-premises), or in this case, you can carry a GUN, but can't carry a KNIFE or nonlethal STUN GUN?!

How ridiculously asinine is it that the law allows for a licensee to carry a FIREARM but not a concealed KNIFE?

Florida is about the best state I've seen for what it allows, and even it isn't perfect. Why oh why couldn't Florida be located up around where New York is, geographically? Then it'd be just about perfect for me, since I detest the heat, the geography (flat and boring), and the demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Carry Concealed Weapon permit (I believe).

In MA we have LTC; License To Carry a firearm.
    Yeah. When you stick "permit" on the end of it, it does make sense.
    Sometimes, I hate acronyms.

Thanks.

Senior Moderator
    We may have added a bunch of states in recent years -- yahoo for us! -- but it is coming clear to me that many states have really bad compromises in effect in order to have shall-issue.
    Exactly the reason for knowing and researching the laws in the state that you want to carry in before you carry there.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

It's not just that, HotGuns.
    Sure, fine I can KNOW ahead of time what restrictions I face if I travel to X state. My issue now is whether I think it's ACCEPTABLE that they prohibit this or that regarding CCW.

Simply knowing that I can't legally carry to dinner in any place that serves alcohol in NM doesn't make it palatable -- it just makes me know what I'm not allowed legally to do. Does that help me protect me and mine? No. (Unless you simply say, "Well, Jeff, at least you know what restaurants you're limited to -- like Burger King!" )

I can't imagine that CCW licensure is much of a victory if there are states where carry in ordinary places -- a supermarket sells alcohol! -- is prohibited and you're forced to have to leave your gun behind during different stops in your day.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links