How many of you do these things since you've started carrying?

This is a discussion on How many of you do these things since you've started carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I've started carrying, I've noticed myself doing few things automatically anymore, such as: visually but discreetly checking the waist of each customer I can ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: How many of you do these things since you've started carrying?

How many of you do these things since you've started carrying?

Since I've started carrying, I've noticed myself doing few things automatically anymore, such as:

visually but discreetly checking the waist of each customer I can when I go into a gas station;

taking a couple extra seconds to find out what's behind that wall, just in case I have to fire in that direction;

choosing where I sit to make sure that if I do have to draw, there's a some kind of back stop that I am shooting into, rather than shooting through a stucco wall into traffic;

sitting in booths rather than chairs so I can reach back and make adjustments (carry at 5 or 6:00) if I need to;

standing in a bit longer line if need be so that I'm not facing windows when I go to check out of a convenience store (similar reasons to where I sit).

It's not like I go in and think, "Alright, first, who is carrying. Second, where are the windows..." It's just something that I've found I've started doing the more I continue to carry concealed.

Anyone else notice that they do these kind of things? Or am I just screwed in the head?
    02R1, crossfireltd and mano3 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Not screwed in the head, unless you truly check customers' waste at a gas station. I hope you meant "waist."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not screwed in the head, unless you truly check customers' waste at a gas station. I hope you meant "waist."
    oops. lol. changed it. Yeah, that'd be a little different, wouldn't it?

I've done that for over 35 years (retired LEO) and it has become so second natured, I don't realize I do it anymore. My wife even asks me if I want to sit in a particular chair so I can see the entry door and cash register in restaurants. BUT, consider this, too, I wore the "hey look at me and shoot at me first uniform" for half the time of the career.

BUT, please, don't get so concerned with being in public you cannot have a good time with your family and friends. You'll start becoming paranoid in thinking rather than a survivalist. There is a significant difference in the two mindsets.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't care for booths, you're trapped there. Tables allow a quick exit in any direction. Other than that, business as usual.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have always been a very observant person, even in my younger years, so I am normally cognoscente of things and people around me. Now that I'm CC'ing (for about 4 months now) I find that my situational awareness is even greater...paying attention to where I sit in public places, running scenarios in my mind based on where I am, etc. One of the things I've noticed over the years, and especially the last 6 months, is just how clueless most people are. Before I received my CC permit I would carry concealed at home, or at friend's or family's homes (legal here since it is on private property) to get used to carrying and no one ever said a word! And believe me, my friends and family would have called me out in a heartbeat. Just goes to show how our society has become desensitized to their environment, and totally dependent on being "protected" by LEO's.
    johnaengus likes this.

All you said not bad things but as mentioned do not be consumed by them or you will be obvious and stand out as the "paranoid looking guy over there" While carrying and at all times actually it is best to know your surroundings especally those around you. The world is getting crazy and now worse with the gun grabbers going hollier than thou on our rights.What you are doing is called situational awareness. Be careful out there you Are considered more responsible person with the CCW. Once that weapon is brandished ,pulled in public your life changes with or without firing a shot.

VIP Member
    Yes we have picked up our awareness. Also avoid certain trips at certain times of day ( night ).
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Re: How many of you do these things since you've started carrying?

I've definitly noticed I do some of those things as well now that I've started carrying. Although my SA has always been good (as a lifeguard my SA could mean life and death for someone).

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I'm retired USN. I spent seven years (80-87) in Europe and the Mediterranean. Situational awareness became second nature for some of us. Now that I carry, situational awareness is just as important now as it was then.
    USN Retired

VIP Member
    Nothing unusual or wrong with it. The longer you carry, the more it becomes second nature and you don't realize your even doing it.
    Smitty901 and nontechguy like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I don't do anything too crazy outside of average SA, but I do try to sit facing the entrance(s) so I can at least see who's moving in and out of a restaurant.

I've been doing similar things long before I started to carry, but I did add noticing others who carry.

It never really hit me that I do that until the other Wed. night at church. I am on the church security team and I happen to notice a man we've received information on as a felon and a thief, more than your average panhandler. So when I struck up a conversation and he asked for money for gas, I convinced him to go to the office with me to see if someone was there who can help. Long story short, as the Police were on their way I had to keep the man with me in the office. as we were making small talk I caught a glimpse of his coat pocket riding low and swinging more when he moved than the other pocket. Turned out to be a desk clock he swiped, but I don't think I would have caught it before I started carrying and/or got on the church security team.
    HKinNY likes this.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

My awareness is turned up a few notches. Ive been looking around to see if I can spot a fellow carrier. I also sit and think in a resteraunt what if a nut job came in and started blasting up the place. The senarios run through my head and wonder how I woud react. And get my family out of harms way. Stay safe and carry on.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    AAh yes, your situational awareness has been awakened. This is good.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links