Interesting trip to Cabelas today - Page 2

Interesting trip to Cabelas today

This is a discussion on Interesting trip to Cabelas today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jjxj Made a trip to Cabelas in Dundee Mi today. In walking through the second set of doors and into the "main" ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Interesting trip to Cabelas today

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjxj View Post
    Made a trip to Cabelas in Dundee Mi today. In walking through the second set of doors and into the "main" lobby we were greeted with a table of three guys from "Michigan Open Carry" and they were all openly carrying. I didn't go to the table, I live in Oh and we have open carry so I wasn't interested, but thought it was a good thing what they were doing.

Then off to the right was an NRA tent and if I heard correctly they were offering a $25 gift card for signing up for a year membership ($35). We were there for about an hour and a half and there was always a line for sign up. This was also a good thing.

Now we make our way back to the firearms. I usually don't look at much seeing I can't purchase handguns there anyway. But I couldn't get close to the handguns If i wanted to. I'm seeing a lot of people that obviously to me at least have limited to no knowledge of guns. This kind of gets me wondering. Are these people buying because of all the news and scare about bans so they just want to make purchases or do they see the light and have decided it's time to arm themselves so they don't end up victims?
    What you saw in MI is taking place everywhere guns are sold these days. Though there are many reasons for people to buy guns, concern that they may not be able to do so again is likely to be high on the list of reasons why.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Well I think it's a good thing, more people getting into the sport I grew up around. My only concern is more "accidents" from people not getting the proper training they need.

At Gander Mt on the way home it was the same situation, except the people in there looked and sounded like they were not new to guns.

I suppose the uneducated people were at Cabelas seeing they are a big national chain so that was the best place to shop. What I could see in the handgun counter looked like it was well stocked. Either way I see all of this as a very good thing. More guns being sold, retailers making money, helping my side of the economy.

I personally feel these people panic buying with no experience and no intention to learn proper gun control only damages the reputation of responsible gun owners. These are the people who don't teach their children proper gun control and we end up with horrible news articles about children bringing guns to school or worse.

This said, most gun owners I know are responsible.

I think it's a good thing. There's already enough fear instilled in the public about guns that hopefully they will want to get training. The more people aware about the truth of guns the better.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadsmiles View Post
    I think it's a good thing. There's already enough fear instilled in the public about guns that hopefully they will want to get training. The more people aware about the truth of guns the better.
    Yes, people are getting training. There are about 2 dozen places that I am aware of in the area to take a CPL class and they are all booked for the next two to four months. My sister and brother in-law just took the class last weekend. It was her first time shooting a gun. Now she is going to buy one. I take my class here in a few weeks.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the two new Michigan Cabbalas that will be opening next week and at the end of next month. I wonder if they have been transferring shipments to their new stores for the grand openings.

I do some work (internet, paper, inventory and some sales) at a friends gun shop. Since the end of December, there have been about 12,000 people in queue for a BG check in Colorado. That's about a 10-15 day wait. Over half of the people that come in know nothing about guns. They pick up the gun and their finger goes right on the trigger (my first cue). I ask kindly for them to hand me the gun so I can show them a few things about the gun. This is when I tell/show them the big three (1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, 2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, 3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.). There is a huge need for "first time owner training". My friend is still getting guns in weekly. Most sales are happening within 15 minutes of the customer coming in.
    ppkheat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    Yes, people are getting training. There are about 2 dozen places that I am aware of in the area to take a CPL class and they are all booked for the next two to four months. My sister and brother in-law just took the class last weekend. It was her first time shooting a gun. Now she is going to buy one. I take my class here in a few weeks.

Problem with this is exactly like you said. People are getting legal to carry, not properly trained in the use of firearms. People who never thought about buying a gun before are running out, purchasing one and then signing up for a CHL class. Don't get me wrong, a permit class can be a good place to start if followed by defensive classes, but the majority of new owners will not further their training and education past the permit class. Then in a couple of months they will be carrying a loaded gun in public with minimal training and practice. This is what I fear with the new influx in firearm owners.

Guns are getting scarce here too. I couldn't get to the counter at GM Saturday afternoon. There were exactly three boxes of ammo. 2 boxes of 10 mm and a box of 50 bmg. All the reloading stuff they had was a box of 50 xtp, a lead pot and a Lyman's manual. Only thing they had in abundance was skeet and birdshot. Our biggest gun/pawn shop had maybe 20 guns in the case. Two weeks ago they had close to 75. I better go ahead, grab the powder & primers at the only place I know of and I aint telling. He limits to one box of each size & two pounds of powder.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

I'm not sure if we should fear the first time owner that does no training but keeps their gun at home. Or the first time owner that does get some training, even if just the minimum needed for a CCW permit. The CCW/NRA class that I did was informative but still did not give you the skills needed to be a proficient shooter.

This is probably going to get some bad comments, but hey this is a discussion right? What about improving the CCW requirements? Similar to obtaining a drivers permit, you have to log range visits after the CCW course and after X amount of range time they can receive their license.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

I read a news article recently (can't remember where) that said since DEC more guns have been sold than needed to equip the armies of both China and India
    Attached Images

Re: Interesting trip to Cabelas today

I was at the local range and gun shop today to check on the status of a gun that I have in for repair. While the guy was checking with the gunsmith, I had a chance to look at the display cases. I know they've been slammed lately, but holy hell! The selection has been so picked over, I'd be amazed if they were still selling much at this point. What ever new inventory comes in probably goes out as soon as it is put on display.

There is a new Cabela's opening soon here in Columbus, Oh. I wonder how well they will be able to keep up with demand.

-SF

Love the Dundee store. I stop there every time I visit my daughter. She lives in Ypsi

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadsmiles View Post
    This is probably going to get some bad comments, but hey this is a discussion right? What about improving the CCW requirements? Similar to obtaining a drivers permit, you have to log range visits after the CCW course and after X amount of range time they can receive their license.
    Im behind you 100% on that. Do away with with the permission slip garbage to practice my 2nd amendment, that would be an improvement. Driving is NOT a right. We need more red tape BS like we need a another hole in our head.

I made the venture to cabelas yesterday. I figured if anyone had some 22 shells it would be them. Nope. 17- and 22mag

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360589832.172120.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links