Interesting trip to Cabelas today

This is a discussion on Interesting trip to Cabelas today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Made a trip to Cabelas in Dundee Mi today. In walking through the second set of doors and into the "main" lobby we were greeted ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Interesting trip to Cabelas today

Made a trip to Cabelas in Dundee Mi today. In walking through the second set of doors and into the "main" lobby we were greeted with a table of three guys from "Michigan Open Carry" and they were all openly carrying. I didn't go to the table, I live in Oh and we have open carry so I wasn't interested, but thought it was a good thing what they were doing.

Then off to the right was an NRA tent and if I heard correctly they were offering a $25 gift card for signing up for a year membership ($35). We were there for about an hour and a half and there was always a line for sign up. This was also a good thing.

Now we make our way back to the firearms. I usually don't look at much seeing I can't purchase handguns there anyway. But I couldn't get close to the handguns If i wanted to. I'm seeing a lot of people that obviously to me at least have limited to no knowledge of guns. This kind of gets me wondering. Are these people buying because of all the news and scare about bans so they just want to make purchases or do they see the light and have decided it's time to arm themselves so they don't end up victims?
    goldshellback and atctimmy like this.

Probably some of both. The motives to buy a handgun can be as varied as wind in the winter. Glad to hear the NRA was signing up new members!

Welcome, too!
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 9th, 2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Aceoky, goldshellback and oneshot like this.

VIP Member
    I got a gift card there and decided not to go there on the Weekend. Yes the NRA and Cabelas had a program today. The inventory at Cabelas ( gun selection) has been poor so far this year. However every once and while they got some ammo.

I try and do my gun shopping on the weekdays, as I work some weekends and end up with a half day off in the middle of the week.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Hard to say for sure, but my guess is the majority were panic buying and once they get it home will put it in a draw and forget about it.

As for the NRA glad they are out the recruiting. We need all the new members we can get.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My inlaws, who have very little to no experience with firearms, are going through the process in IL (FOID) to get firearms. Not because they have necessarily seen the light or fear a ban, but because they understand their right to own them. They are staunch Republicans and refuse to let any liberals dictate what they can and cannot do. That being said, they are two people who make me nervous around firearms so I have been stressing the importance of actually getting trained with them. Here's hoping they follow my advice!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I was at this Cabelas last week, actually. They have a decent collection of firearms available for sale, but like you, I didn't have the patience to wait around in lines all day. I escaped with only buying a cheap mag pouch. The old lady was pleased.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I think that any idea or concept that educates the general masses is a good thing. The government and media are spinning false information and using scare tactics to make the sheep believe 'guns are bad', so we need as much real information out there as possible. This said, a tragic accident by a careless or uninformed shooter could really be used against us. Safety needs to be the number one item to be teaching those who have started to awaken.

While they try to fool the "sheep" they have totally forgotten about the shepherds and sheep dogs
    RickyD likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    The gun department at the Cabelas in Utah has a few handguns available. There are sooooo many people wanting to buy/look that you have to take a number to be called next. I just wander on by and look at the empty ammo shelves.

Renewed my NRA membership and got the gift card, awesome deal.
    Last edited by Rcher; February 10th, 2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: sp
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

they had an SR1911 today...I didn't have it in me to wait 40 minutes in line for paperwork..
    BigD193 likes this.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I waited over an hour in line to get my 1911 Friday morning, I arrived at the shop 15 minutes after open. That was Buckeye Outdoors in Ohio
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I was in the Bass Pro in Grapevine, TX on Friday afternoon looking for something completely unrelated to firearms and ammo but swung by the gun counter just to check it out. Their handgun cases were pretty much empty.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    The Bass Pro here in Orlando is almost completely stripped of guns. The cases are almost empty.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    My inlaws, who have very little to no experience with firearms, are going through the process in IL (FOID) to get firearms. Not because they have necessarily seen the light or fear a ban, but because they understand their right to own them. They are staunch Republicans and refuse to let any liberals dictate what they can and cannot do. That being said, they are two people who make me nervous around firearms so I have been stressing the importance of actually getting trained with them. Here's hoping they follow my advice!
    I have a similar situation. My other half's brother in law purchased a handgun recently. I really need to get him to the range to make all of us safer.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

The "panic" buying is a pain in the buutocks for us who are "normal" gun folks and yes the prices on some things are just stupid right now, but I look at as a good thing, in the long run many people are getting into guns that otherwise had no opinion about them one way or another. My wife and my mother-in-law are taking the carry class next weekend and I have 2 sister-in-laws and 1 brother-in-law that are looking for a class to take, so right there are 5 people that are "getting on our side" and hopefully this will make some of them vote or will change the way they vote.

It's like a city that wants to "outlaw" rottweilers. Most folks don't have one so who cares? But if most folks do have one, then it becomes something "the people" care about. Just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links