Have a question for FL CCW folks

This is a discussion on Have a question for FL CCW folks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wanting to get a non-resident CCW permit. I saw where you can not carry a concealed weapon in an establishment the dispenses alcohol ...

Thread: Have a question for FL CCW folks

Have a question for FL CCW folks

I am wanting to get a non-resident CCW permit. I saw where you can not carry a concealed weapon in an establishment the dispenses alcohol for consumption. I am not trying to be hard-headed but do they mean a bar and/or the local Seven11 mart on the street corner that sells 12 packs of Bush beer. thanks
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Key word here is dispense...meaning you can buy and consume open containers of alcohol. i.e., a bar.
    Since you can only buy sealed containers at a regular store, your OK at these places.

Greetings...

from Central Florida!
    Florida is great...you can not carry into a bar...but you may carry into the food part of an establishment...such as...

Olive Garden...can't sit in the bar portion of the place while armed and not drinking (just waiting for a table), but you can sit in the food part of the establishment and have a beer (if you choose to do so) while armed...
    Figure that one out!

Stay safe...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    from Central Florida!
    Florida is great...you can not carry into a bar...but you may carry into the food part of an establishment...such as...

Olive Garden...can't sit in the bar portion of the place while armed and not drinking (just waiting for a table), but you can sit in the food part of the establishment and have a beer (if you choose to do so) while armed...
    Figure that one out!

Stay safe...

ret
    You can legally drink and carry in FL? We can't even have a controlled substance in our blood and carry here!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    You can legally drink and carry in FL? We can't even have a controlled substance in our blood and carry here!
    I believe FL law prohibits the "use" of firearms while impaired with alcohol, drugs etc. However the law specifically excludes lawful self-defense from this caveat. It is kind of a judgment call on your part, if you were involved in a SD shooting and had alcohol on board, it could still work against you.

I think it's reasonable to have a drink with dinner, but if going to a party or "out" to have multiple drinks, I wouldn't carry. Other people might be even more conservative and not carry anywhere near alcohol. Another thing you could do is lock your piece in the glove compartment of your car if you're out, that way it's at least somewhere nearby should the need arise for self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    I believe FL law prohibits the "use" of firearms while impaired with alcohol, drugs etc. However the law specifically excludes lawful self-defense from this caveat. It is kind of a judgment call on your part, if you were involved in a SD shooting and had alcohol on board, it could still work against you.

I think it's reasonable to have a drink with dinner, but if going to a party or "out" to have multiple drinks, I wouldn't carry. Other people might be even more conservative and not carry anywhere near alcohol. Another thing you could do is lock your piece in the glove compartment of your car if you're out, that way it's at least somewhere nearby should the need arise for self-defense.
    That's good to know. I lived in FL for 3 years (didn't CCW there though). My mom still lives there and we have friends we see a couple times a year. It's nice to know that I could have a beer when we go out, still have my gun, and not get in trouble for it. Thanks for the info.

I carry into places that sell alcoholic beverages, sealed, without a concern. In a Restaurant with a bar, no problem, I just stay away from the bar section, I won't even walk through it if at all possible. A straight bar where the primary product sold is alcoholic beverages - VERBOTEN!!!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bh153dc View Post
    I am wanting to get a non-resident CCW permit. I saw where you can not carry a concealed weapon in an establishment the dispenses alcohol for consumption. I am not trying to be hard-headed but do they mean a bar and/or the local Seven11 mart on the street corner that sells 12 packs of Bush beer. thanks
    all these posts were based on where the poster lives, some states are different , for example in NC, restaurant serves alcohol no go, no distinction bar or food area.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    all these posts were based on where the poster lives, some states are different , for example in NC, restaurant serves alcohol no go, no distinction bar or food area.
    Reread mine , and check it. It is FLA specific. You do bring up a obvious but excellent point- verify all legal advice your self, the internet is a horrible place for legal advice.

Thanks all, I vacation alot around Ft. Walton and I figured it would be less fuss if I had a CCW from FL. Plus FL's reciprocity is better than AL.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Links