How critical is not "printing" in Arkansas?

This is a discussion on How critical is not "printing" in Arkansas? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am awaiting my carry permit and have been trying to "school" myself on all the rules and regulations here in Arkansas. I see a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How critical is not "printing" in Arkansas?

How critical is not "printing" in Arkansas?

I am awaiting my carry permit and have been trying to "school" myself on all the rules and regulations here in Arkansas. I see a lot of talk here on the site about printing. I am wondering how critical it is NOT to print. It was not covered at all in my carry class. I understand that concealed carry is just that, concealed. But I am sure there will be a time when someone realizes I am carrying. If I were in a department store and unintentionaly exposed my firearm long enough for an anti-gun employee to see it and they call the police with a MWAG complaint would I have my permit pulled? Could I possibly be charged with a crime? Would I be thrown to the ground and cuffed?Like I said, this was not covered at all in my carry class and I did not think to ask while I was there. It seems to me to be a very important part of carrying and I would like to know where I stand if something like that ever happened. Thanks for any help, Jason

2. Remove Ads

Re: How critical is not "printing" in Arkansas?

No clue what the laws are in your state, but if OC is legal and you are in a facility without anti-gun signs, who cares if you print. That's just my opinion.

I should have mentioned that open carry is NOT legal in Arkansas.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Jhogan...I've never understood all the yeah-haw about printing a little (or a lot)...I personally don't care one way or the other if there are certain cloths that would allow a bit of printing in certain positions....Most people will never even notice. I have a few pull over sweat shirts that due to shrinkage over the years will expose about an inch of my owb leather holster sometimes but most would not know it's a holster anyway. I really would not worry about it at the least.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

This is an Arkansas law question. You would be OK here in FL.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    In NC you can open carry or conceal carry with license. NC has no legal definition of "open" or "Concealed".

Check your state laws for this....If the firearm is concealed (even if there is an outline) you may be ok.
    (if you wear your slacks tight enough something else may print, but it does not mean your guilty of indecent exposure if you get my drift).
    lionround likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by jhogan2424 View Post
    I should have mentioned that open carry is NOT legal in Arkansas.
    If your gun is exposed, then it is not concealed.

I live in northwest Arkansas and I don't go out of my way to avoid printing. Usually I have a p220 or a glock 17 or 19 in an appendix carry holster, often with a regular sized t short hanging over whichever pistol I'm carrying. I do have some printing occasionally, but it hasn't been an issue for me. So, I just don't worry about it.

That's not legal advice, just my experience and opinion

sent via iCarry

Senior Moderator
    The definition of concealed is "hidden from view" according to the State Police.

I dont see "printing" as a big deal. As long as the gun is not in plain sight, there is no offense.

With that being said, concealed carry that is printing is not really concealed if one can make out what you are carrying. If that be the case, you need to reevaluate how you are carrying.

I'll attempt to answer your questions from both an AR CHL Instructor and an LEO point of view.

If I were in a department store and unintentionaly exposed my firearm long enough for an anti-gun employee to see it and they call the police with a MWAG complaint would I have my permit pulled?
    No. Unintentional exposure is not an offense.

Could I possibly be charged with a crime?
    No crime, no offense.

Would I be thrown to the ground and cuffed?
    That depends on where you are located. If in the hood in Little Rock or Pine Bluff, anything is possible. Anywhere else, probably not. The officer may ask to see it, he may secure if for his own safety, once it was established that you had a CHL, unless there are other circumstances you'll get it back.

Like I said, this was not covered at all in my carry class and I did not think to ask while I was there. It seems to me to be a very important part of carrying and I would like to know where I stand if something like that ever happened. Thanks for any help, Jason
    That should have been covered in your class. I always include it when I teach.
    wishyouwell and Aceoky like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Printing and unintentionally exposing your weapon are two different things. But neither is technically against the law...

How critical is it? Well, how much do you want everyone knowing you have a gun? Are you wearing a spandex shirt or doing jumping jacks down the aisles. If so, then you will probably not be doing a very good job of CC. An accidental exposure isn't the end of the world, either.

Don't run around with your shirt hiked up over your weapon or have your hand on it like Dirty Harry and you should usually be just fine.

I carry a full size pistol and am a slim guy so it will be nearly impossible to conceal fully w/o some form of bulging or printing.

Always comply and leave immediately from a business if asked to do so by management or LE. From what i've heard that's usually all that will happen if you're carrying legally. Oh, and be sure to make a mental note not to do business with them anymore.

Thanks to everyone for taking time to reply. Very helpful. Thanks again, Jason

Check out the CCW AR app. It covers everything.

Keep in mind also that because you know what it is it looks like a gun. 99.9% of the other people even people with CHCL's will not be able to tell.

You'll be fine in both Craighead and Poinsett counties... this straight from the respective sheriffs...

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    Printing and unintentionally exposing your weapon are two different things. But neither is technically against the law...

WYW obviously does not live in Kalifornistan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links