Good choice for badge/permit holder

This is a discussion on Good choice for badge/permit holder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to find a good choice for a badge or permit holder which will fit on my belt. Any suggestions? I am not planning ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good choice for badge/permit holder

I'm trying to find a good choice for a badge or permit holder which will fit on my belt. Any suggestions? I am not planning on needing quick access to such, but if I ever did need to I want to be able to get to it quickly. Where I work we have something a little bit like it but it only fits into your shirt pocket and it has a weight in it.

Thanks for the input on this.
    The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance

There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

I have a question. Is the badge for LE or just for your ccw?

Lead Moderator
    Plenty of LE supply companies. Carrying a badge for CCW is considered a bad idea.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Just for CCW

Excellent question.
    I just want it for CCW. Coming from a family with LE and Military on both sides, I know what a stressful situation it can be if for some reason a LEO is talking to you and somehow has the idea you are carrying. Not planning on this happening, but I would feel better if I had a clip on permit/badge holder on my belt so that no one, including me, has to reach into my pants pocket to retrieve my wallet to see the permit.

A bad idea. Impersonation?

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Plenty of LE supply companies. Carrying a badge for CCW is considered a bad idea.
    Would this be because it could be seen as impersonating an officer?
    Just wondered. I have seen a tremendous number of badges on internet that from a distance would be hard to distinguish from LE badges.
    When I lived in Montana and had a CCW I did not feel the need at all for a quick and easy way to identify myself as being legal. Where I live now it is much more populated than when I was in Montana.
    Also, too close to the border of a neighboring state where there are many anti gun people who visit in my pro-gun state.
    Last edited by MTHall49; October 28th, 2006 at 10:37 AM. Reason: left out a word

Lead Moderator
    Yep, lots of PD would view it as a cop wanna be. Concealed , should be concealed. Plus , if BG's saw it you might be targeted quicker, if you happen to be in a armed robbery situation.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Yep, lots of PD would view it as a cop wanna be. Concealed , should be concealed. Plus , if BG's saw it you might be targeted quicker, if you happen to be in a armed robbery situation.
    With that idea in mind I will just look for a id holder that can fit on my belt. It definitely had not occurred to me to think of what the bad guys might do in reaction to seeing it.

And, if a BG takes a peek at your badge, that also just means that in his mind you could make a better than average witness!

To a trained LEO, if a situation arises they will tell you how to proceed to get your ID, etc.; I think it would be easier than having to explain why you needed them to think your were a LEO.

Just my 2cents, YMMV.

EP

If you don't have a requirement to inform, don't ask don't tell! IMHO
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I found an outstanding holder for my CWL. My Wallet. If a LEO has reason to want to see the CWL there would be no problem with retrieving it from my wallet. I don't see ANY reason to externally advertise that I am carrying a weapon. That defeats the purpose of concealment and, in itself, could cause a LEO to have reason to want to interrogate you. It can also alert a BG (Bad Guy) to the presence of a concealed weapon on your person, a good reason to take you out first.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Lead Moderator
    Personally , I tuck my CCW permit behind my Drivers license. We are required to inform during traffic stops, so easy access to all needed ID for PD. Realistically, who else who ever have to your CCW permit , other than a gun shop purchase?
    And most PD will want to see your DL, during any stop.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would also say that carrying a badge for ccw is a bad idea. I wouldn't want anybody to know I'm carrying. It's nobodys business really. you don't want to make yourself a target. Just my .02

Permit...Great Idea!

Badge...Bad Idea!

I think that they are pretty corny...
    IMHO...a badge will only make any situation in which you may become involved...MORE complicated.

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Agree 110%. Badge is not a good idea. Get a cop that doesn't like CCW and they might arrest you for impersonating an officer (even if the charge doesn't stick it makes for a very bad day). Keep it in your wallet with your DL, as was stated. If you're in a shoot, you ought to be able to get it out of your wallet before the cops get there. If you get pulled over, CCW comes out with the DL. Inform the officer first of the permit, second the presence of a weapon, then ask for their instructions and follow them to the letter.

If I was a cop and I saw a CCW badge, at best I'd take it as a joke, but more likely I'd be insulted. Cops work hard to earn their badges and for some yahoo to flash a cracker-jack shield and gun permit sends all the wrong messages to the officer who has the authority to take your gun, put you in cuffs and make sure you have a really bad day. The badge says (whether it's true or not) that you think you're on par with the police. That's a really, really bad signal to send, and it does the entire CCW community a disservice in the public eye. More ammo for anti's.

I can't say enough bad about the badges (or, for that matter, advertising that you have a permit) so I'll stop there. Just don't do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links