Moved from 5 o'clock to 3 o'clock and...

This is a discussion on Moved from 5 o'clock to 3 o'clock and... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like it. I'm a portly fellow so the 5 position was comfortable during standing, sitting, moving. Except when I sat down in a dining ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry at multiple positions?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, depending on what firearm I'm carrying

18 19.57%
  • Yes, depending on what clothes I'm wearing

20 21.74%
  • Yes, depending on what holster I'm wearing

8 8.70%
  • Yes, because I carry a back-up gun

10 10.87%
  • No

36 39.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Moved from 5 o'clock to 3 o'clock and...

Moved from 5 o'clock to 3 o'clock and...

I like it.

I'm a portly fellow so the 5 position was comfortable during standing, sitting, moving. Except when I sat down in a dining chair — my holster and gun would bump into the chair, making me uncomfortable.

But the 3 position isn't so bad. Actually, it's not bad at all. I use a N82 Tactical Professional (and S&W M&P9c), so the gun doesn't rub against my gut at all, which is great. And I can conceal it a bit better when wearing light clothing, like plain T-shirts.

Do you carry at different positions? If so, does it depend on what you're wearing? What you're carrying?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When I switched from a shoulder holster to an IWB I have always carried at the three o’clock position.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Would have liked to have voted Yes to the first three.
    sparkykb likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I'll switch to 4-4:30 when carrying a 1911, but my EDC G23 or Sig P229 are carried AIWB.

3:00 to 3:30 IWB Crossbreed Super tuck SR40c Ruger

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    G19, G26, SIG C3, G30 or G17 IWB @ 3:00 in a CBST from the beginning of sweatshirt season through winter and the end of weather cool enough to wear a sweatshirt, or sweater. Most often the 26 because of weight, but concealing the others is not a problem wearing a sweatshirt or sweater.

Pocket (P238 or LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis) or the XDs (Pocket Thunder) @ 4:30 in a CB MiniTuck, the rest of the year. Pocket carry is my last choice because of the problem getting it out, but it's better than not having it.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    My belt loops seem to dictate my carry position a little. (30 mins) give or take.
    OWB is not a problem @ 3 or 4 O'clock, although 3:30 is better in my small car.

Not looking forward to warmer weather with my G 27...not sure what I'll do yet.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

GH
    I would have voted for more than one but I chose clothes as being the main element of my gun position. Holster selection is also a factor although I can wear all of them at most any position. Most of the time I wear at 3:30.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I have changed my carry of where and what over the years. But I try to keep it simple and carry how I carry everyday so my subconscious mind will know where it is.

As of today my EDC is XD AIWB with a LCP in left front pocket, reload for the XD, 3:30 & 8:30 (because I can't reach around and get to reload on the off side if needed, getting old) Knives, folder in right pocket with an TDC in front of reload mag on left side. With all that said I may not carry something from time to time but if I carry it, it's in it's spot.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by azretired View Post
    I concur. That said, I have a classic "spare tire" and I find 2:30-3:30 working best for me as well for general use, but I will move to 1:00-1:30 or 6:00 if I know I'm going to be on my feet the entire time. I hate the grip digging into my flab.
    revldm and Cowbilly32 like this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Nope, carry at the 3:30-4:00 position regardless of gun or clothing.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I only shift mine slightly due to the belt loop position on my pants.
    USM1976 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azretired View Post
    Same here.

I carry my G19 at 3:30 the vast majority of the time IWB in a Raven Concealment Phantom.

There are times that I carry a Glock 17 or G26 Appendix Inside the Waistband in a Raven Vanguard II.

Still other times I carry the G19 or G26 IWB at the 3:30 in the Vanguard II. This is especially convenient during the summer or quick trips to the store.

Depends on what I'm wearing, the gun I am carrying, and where I'm going. I stay in the same caliber and family of carry pistols and only switch between 2 carry positions for the most part.

As I said though, probably 95% of the time it's a G19 IWB at 3:30....at least 3/4 of year. The G26 gets to play more during the summer.

I can't reach my gun at 3:00 very well when in the car, so I have a holster I use for crossdraw at about 10 or 10:30. Works well unless I don't have a chance to switch back to 3 when getting out to go where I'm going--as in, "I have people with me who don't know I carry and I don't want to let the cat out of that particular bag just yet."

Distinguished Member
    Nope, found AIW to be best and never went back (only carried at 4 for a couple of days). I pocket carried for a couple of months, but found drawing to be problematic and inconsistent.

I always carry same position, same gun, same holster. I too am a big believer in muscle memory.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links