Question about rules of Open vs CC?

This is a discussion on Question about rules of Open vs CC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an almost meaningless question about Open Carry? If it has been debated ad nausea, please forgive me. In states that allow CC but ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Question about rules of Open vs CC?

I have an almost meaningless question about Open Carry? If it has been debated ad nausea, please forgive me. In states that allow CC but forbid "printing" of your firearm (ie that you can see the outline of the firearm under clothes), would covering your firearm and intentionally printing the weapon be considered open carry? I know that if your are in a state that dis-allows printing, you can be cited for not carrying it concealed if it prints. My real question is if in states that allow open carry, like Arizona at age 18 but not CC until 21, could you cover your firearm with, say, a tight pullover sweater, and claim that it is open since it "prints?" I have no dog in the hunt, as I live in Tennessee where permits are "Handgun Permits", not CC permits and you can carry however you please. Just wondering for trivial knowledge.

VIP Member
    Can't speak for AZ, but my guess is since the gun is covered, you will be considered CC'ing, though poorly done.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    An equally-meaningless question:
    Which states allow open carry, but prohibit printing while CC'ing?
    DesignDawg likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

As I recall, AZ requires that as long as the bottom 2" of a holster is visible, the firearm is considered visible.

Can't find where I read that, so I suppose it has no more value than any other opinion.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I am always wondering about stupid things like that. For example, I got a ticket at a red light camera. The car was registered to my wife, so the ticket was issued to her. I went to court and told the Judge that I was a witness and I would be willing to testify that my wife was NOT driving the car on the day and time that she got the ticket. The judge asked if I was driving? I said I took the 5th because I don't have to testify against myself. He said it was a clever argument, and threw out the $50 red light ticket but charged me $100 in court costs for being a smart A$$, which I also argued, (to no avail) is not illegal.

Nice! I'd take the court costs over a ticket any day. You saved your self some $$$!

As to your question, I am not up on other state laws for so specific a question, but in Michigan for example, printing is not a big legal deal, other than being inadvisable if your point is to be concealed. Open carry is legal here. Here's a theoretical test case that might be relevant to your question: OC is legal in schools here (but only with a CPL- go figure), but CC is not. How far do I think I could get basically CC but just trying to print the heck outta the gun saying I was open carrying? Not very far I suspect, if caught. In other words, I wouldn't try it.

Anyway, we don't fret here too much about accidentally exposing the firearm if it's a place we're allowed to OC. But a more important question is why would someone consider CCing if they weren't confident about not printing? I would advise this theoretical individual to adjust his method of carry.

Best wishes!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I won't even try to come up with a trivial answer for that trivial question.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links