Is it weird that I really enjoy carrying?

This is a discussion on Is it weird that I really enjoy carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some may know, I am very new to CC, but it is weird that I really enjoy carrying? Not in the sense of donít ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Is it weird that I really enjoy carrying?

As some may know, I am very new to CC, but it is weird that I really enjoy carrying? Not in the sense of donít mess with me Iím packing. I am extremely low key/mellow individual. I have had years of martial arts training I have known how to hurt people for a long time and have always gone out of my way to avoid bad situations. While I acknowledge there is a high level of responsibility involved with carrying; I enjoy it all, in fact I look forward to getting up and figuring out my concealment plan for the day. The preparation, the mindset, all the aspects of CCíing are enjoyable. I feel like I have been missing out for many years.
    Is everyone else like that?

2. Remove Ads

You're absolutely right. It's theraputic. The US Surgeon General and federal government should recommend all American citizens embrace it instead of demonizing it.
    mano3, nontechguy, niks and 5 others like this.

I think that the word everyone may be a bit of a stretch. I do however enjoy the fact that I feel comforted that should the SHTF I am not just a sitting duck.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Unfortunately, the thrill might wear off.

Wallet, phone, Chapstick, keys, gun, pen, pocket knife and watch, then I'm out the door.
    mbguy29577 and jbum like this.

Well, on Saturday I heard those 3 words every man wants to hear...

"Hope you're packin'"

My wife and I went into a part of town we don't frequent very often and it was outside of our usual "comfort zone" if you will. Nothing seedy or dangerous, just different from what we're used to and it was the middle of the day. And as we pulled up to the store we were there to visit, my wife and I get out of the car and that's when she made the statement. I laughed and said "Oh sure, now you're all for it." She wasn't against me getting my CCP or anything, and I actually think she's gotten a bit of a thrill out of thinking she now has her own personal bodyguard who is with her all the time. LOL

Just a humorous anecdote.
    mano3 and Aceoky like this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23's for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

VIP Member
    Yeah, I agree. When it's a new experience, you tend to feel more hyped about it. After a while though, it'll sort of mellow out and it'll feel like wearing a watch or any other benign device that you carry every day.

The real hurdle, IMO, comes when you first start getting the "I'm just running here, I don't feel like jacking with carrying" mentality. It's probably hit all of us at some point, or I guess I should say I've definitely had times when I felt like that. You just have to keep in mind that it'll always be worth the effort if you end up needing it.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Carrying is like smoking. When you first do it, it is a rush. After you have done it for awhile, it quickly becomes uncomfortable when you are unable to do so.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Sounds familiar, here's a thread from when I was fairly new to it (still am):
    I love carrying...

I still stand by what I wrote, regardless of the way some took it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Sounds familiar, here's a thread from when I was fairly new to it (still am):
    I love carrying...
    I still stand by what I wrote, regardless of the way some took it.
    I had forgotten about that thread.
    Thunder71 likes this.

I would think it's weird if you DIDN'T enjoy it.

"I Like Guns"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Never thought about using the word enjoy, but why not?
    I find it comforting. I feel naked if I'm not. Although after 30 odd years, I guess that's to be expected.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ó George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Is everyone else like that?
    The novelty wears off and it becomes more habit than fun.

Can't say I thought this way about it lol. When I first started to carry I carried in my carry purse. I had it in my purse just like my brush lol. Was something I had and knew was there just in case I needed to use it.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd enjoy carrying except all my guns fell overboard--all except my new Sig.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've only been carrying a couple weeks, but I can't believe how quickly it's become a part of my routine. I'm still experimenting with different carrying methods, and even my wife doesn't know when I am carrying.

We will be with a group of people and my son will ask, "Are You?" And, of course, I say "Yes". I told him just to assume that I am always carrying.

I'm enjoying the peace of mind it brings me. I am constantly thinking out different defensive scenarios in my head, in the case I was forced to use it.

Have fun, and "enjoy"!
    Buckeye00 likes this.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links