What if the rules changed...now you can't carry.

This is a discussion on What if the rules changed...now you can't carry. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hat tip to LSCurrier for prompting this post. In the thread Is it weird that I really enjoy carrying? he said, "You guys should be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What if the rules changed...now you can't carry.

What if the rules changed...now you can't carry.

Hat tip to LSCurrier for prompting this post. In the thread Is it weird that I really enjoy carrying? he said, "You guys should be happy about your ability to carry. Some of us live in states where we are unable to carry."

I began thinking about what if the rules did change and I couldn't legally carry concealed anymore. Would I feel vulnerable or naked or even scared not being able to now carry. Did carrying over the years instill a false sense of security in me? Would I have the same "self-confidence" absent my gun?

Once in a great while something would happen and I knew on some level I was comforted knowing that gun has been hanging around for these rare moments. Nothing ever comes of them, but they are a reminder of my reliance on that chunk of metal.

I believe it would impact me and not just a little bit. I believe it would change how I live my life. My SA would certainly heighten as now I would want to avoid everyone and anything that remotely represented a "threat". (Not that I wouldn't when carrying, but even more so now that I wouldn't have self-protection.) Hell, I think I would feel scared without it until time defused this. And to put this in some context I'm an older guy and the only fight I might win now is whats for dinner.

What say you?
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

2. Remove Ads

..."they" would indeed like to make outlaws of us all...we'd be in good company...the British called the men at Lexington and Concord outlaws, too...unruly rabble...troublemakers...
    Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Would I feel scared? No. I don't live my life in fear..never have, never will.
    By avoiding more people or going to less places means "they" have won. I refuse to allow evil to dictate how I live, where I go etc...
    That doesn't mean my brain no longer functions. (i.e) there are places I would not go at night with or without a gun. Detroit comes to mind.

A weapon does not necessarily make me safer; just prepared.

Besides, just like the criminals, if I were not allowed to carry a gun, I would carry "something" to stack the odds in my favor for a (What if) scenario.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    Until the rules of this board change, I will plead the Fifth.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    I am having back and hip issues and have been taking pain medications. Because of that I have restricted my carrying to times when I don't take the drugs. While I am not completely comfortable, life does go on without a gun on your hip. Yes you do tend to up your SA, and change some of the places you go and things you do. You also rely on different options as well. Knife and OC spray become a constant companion..
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If it came to that I do believe there would be a lot bigger issues at stake. In this scenario I would only be content if samurai swords came back into style.
    nightsonge likes this.

...a sword wouldn't help me...I'm so slow I was a legend among baseballs!!!
    StevePVB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ..."they" would indeed like to make outlaws of us all...we'd be in good company...the British called the men at Lexington and Concord outlaws, too...unruly rabble...troublemakers...
    I grew up in Lexington, Massachusetts--loved being steeped in the rich history surrounding the founding of our nation.

However, once I finished college, I relocated (voted with my feet) to avoid having my vote wasted on a continual basis.
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Olduser View Post
    And to put this in some context I'm an older guy and the only fight I might win now is whats for dinner.

What say you?
    Don't get between me & seconds!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I would move...

I noticed when I started carrying that I now avoid a places I would have gone before.
    I don't want to have to pull it or shoot someone. I would say that carrying made me notice threats more and steer clear. If I were to have to give up carrying I would continue my lifestyle as though I were (since I'm more aware now than before).

Thats why I left MA...
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

I live in the Republic of Texas. Pretty safe from that sort of thing I guess.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

VIP Member
    I'd do the right thing.
    Snub44 and wmhawth like this.

I just shake my head when I think of that upper eastern seaboard area. What a mess. To think that tiny area of land seeks to dominate all of America.

I will not condone breaking the law. But I won't be ruled by a maniac who thinks he knows whats best. For the fools that support him, specifically those in liberal land (again, upper eastern seaboard), be ruled. That's what you want.

You'll find those in the south, midwest, and west (up to the California border) won't roll over. At all. And I really couldn't care less about your feel good (but do no good) worthless gun laws. A political agenda to disarm America speaks pretty plain to me.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links