Tucking and IWB (Remora Holster...but applies to all tuckables I think)

This is a discussion on Tucking and IWB (Remora Holster...but applies to all tuckables I think) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings all, I have an IWB question for you all. I just received my Remora tuckable holster today. I am not ready to carry yet ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tucking and IWB (Remora Holster...but applies to all tuckables I think)

Tucking and IWB (Remora Holster...but applies to all tuckables I think)

Greetings all,

I have an IWB question for you all. I just received my Remora tuckable holster today. I am not ready to carry yet but went upstairs and tried it out. Some background, the reason I went with the Remora was because I work in a professional environment when I need to dress professionally (read tucked in shirts, etc.). The Remora I bought has a tuckable feature that allows for tucking my shirt into a "non-sticky" area. Anyhow, I tried tucking my shirt in and seeing how it prints, and so far it looks pretty good. For grins, I tried to draw (mag and chamber empty) and found that it felt more like a cross draw with my weak hand to get to the gun with my strong hand. It felt very uncomfortable and slow, and I am sure with practice it will get easier. Is that what most tuckable carriers do? Or do you pull your shirt up with strong hand, purchase around the grip then withdrawal?

Any advice you can give a newbie would be great.

Thanks,

Steve E.

2. Remove Ads

There are a couple of options.

Use the strong had and grab the shirt and rip, not literally, the shirt up to a point where the gun is accessible, get a good grip and draw. The issue with this option. Depending on the length of the shirt and how much fabric is tucked, you may not clear the grip. Should you grab your gun through the fabric you will not be able to get to a good firing position, and may have the gun pulled from your hand. Also, if you wear a dress shirt tucked and a jacket, you have introduced a second form of concealment that needs to be cleared before you can grab the shirt.

Use of the support hand to grab and lift the shirt can have the same issues as strong side.

I teach a hybrid style. That is, I teach to use the strong hand to sweep back against the side as if clearing a vest and using both hands to clear the shirt. This avoids to potential of having the shirt fall back over a portion of the grip.

It should be stated that if you are at bad breath distance you would never leave the upper body without defense. It should also be said there are some situations where drawing is not the first priority.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    I usually pull my shirt up with my weak hand
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

As with everything having to do with carrying concealed, whether it's caliber size verses capacity, weight verses shootability, or barrel length verses sight radius, everything is a compromise. Carrying with the shirt tucked, or even concealed with an untucked shirt verses open carry the draw is going to be harder/slower with concealment.

I carry a snub nose 38 in a High Noon Split Decision holster and I know it's going to be a little harder to draw because I have to pull the shirt out first. The best you can do is practice drawing with an unloaded gun and keep your SA up so that you are not in a close encounter to give yourself more space/time, if you do have to draw. Tomtsr's suggestion of a two handed approach makes sense for me because I would have a difficult time reaching around to my gun with my weak hand only because I carry at about 4 o'clock. I would pull the shirt out with my strong hand and use my weak hand to hold the shirt up as I grab the gun with my strong hand.
    stevenshizzle likes this.

I'm with Teadbeau. My Crossbreed tucks nicely and I have zero draw problems....after training myself to draw properly. It's not as quick as drawing with a tshirt, but better than nothing.
    Pyzik likes this.

Just keep practicing, it will get easier.

Practice! It will get easier. I find it's harder to get my tuckable in place and looking good than it is to draw from it.

I like what TedBeau had to say and it sounds like it makes sense. I have a Remora for my G19 and I'm in a holding pattern as far as what tuckable holster I want to get. Sendicott, please let us know how you work it this out. That could affect my decision.

I've found that the Hybrids seem to work the best for tuck, I've never tried a tuckable Remora however. I have the non tuckable version.

Thanks for all the feedback. All good advice!

In my playing around last night, I found the strong hand shirt pull was working. I agree that the issue is how much shirt is tucked in. I will continue to play/practice and build up my skill. I haven't tried strong hand pull, weak hand hold as TedBeau suggests. I will definitely try that tonight. BTW...I am planning on using my Bersa Thunder .380 as my EDC.

As a side note, I am considering doing a youtube video on the Remora tuckable, as in my research for a clip less IWB found pretty much nothing for a tuckable remora presentation anywhere. I'll let you all know if I decide to do it. I just have to remember to suck in my spare tire while filming.

Thanks again!
    Steve E.
    Last edited by Hunter310; February 13th, 2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added carry info

You're right! I searched YouTube for a tuckable Remora video and found nothing. That would be sweet!

I'd also love a video review of the remora tuckable. I'm looking for my first carry and holster (IWB) and although I can't speak from experience yet, the thought of visible clips showing on the belt when tucked in bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Siegheil View Post
    I'd also love a video review of the remora tuckable. I'm looking for my first carry and holster (IWB) and although I can't speak from experience yet, the thought of visible clips showing on the belt when tucked in bothers me.
    You bring up a good point. If the Remora doesn't fit the bill for you, recommend Velcro or J-Clips (I think) in lieu of standard clips. I've only looked at hybrid IWB holsters, but have noticed that the majority of them offer these less conspicuous options.

Cheers,
    Steve

Here is a review of the Remora. I have not watched the entire thing yet.

Remora No-Clip IWB Holster - review & demo - YouTube

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

That's a good review. I watched that and a few others before picking up a remora for my Glock 19 and my Kimber Pepper Blaster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links