Still confused about parks - Tennessee

Still confused about parks - Tennessee

This is a discussion on Still confused about parks - Tennessee within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new so I sure hope this is the right forum to post this thread in 'cause I saw some sticky about deleting my thread ...

Thread: Still confused about parks - Tennessee

Question Still confused about parks - Tennessee

I'm new so I sure hope this is the right forum to post this thread in 'cause I saw some sticky about deleting my thread if it is in the wrong forum. :/

I have been reading through Tennessee Code Annotated, various Attorney General opinions and Chapter 428 of the 2009 Public Acts of Tennessee for days now and have attended a concealed carry class but still am confused on carrying with a permit in parks, etc. Can anyone help? My questions are regarding the following:

-National Parks
    -State parks
    -City parks
    -Having a handgun in your vehicle only when you are at an otherwise prohibited park
    -Since you can't carry on an athletic field being used by a school at the time, I would like to know how to tell whether or not an athletic field is considered a part of the school property or the park when it adjoins both
    -Airport
    -Public recreation buildings
    -Civic center
    -Roadside rest area
    -Federal buildings and what exactly constitutes a federal building - Social Security office count?
    -County courthouse when no court is in session or in rooms other than the actual courtroom itself
    -Drivers license office
    -Carry in a bar without consuming alcohol
    -I know you can carry in a Chili's when you are seated at a restaurant table as long as you don't drink, but can you be seated in the bar if you don't drink or do you have to stay out of the bar area completely?
    -Can you carry your firearm in an otherwise prohibited location if it is disassembled (field stripped)?

Of course, I have read lots and lots of individual opinions not citing actual codes and that doesn't help. I need actual statute numbers that I can verify before I will be a believer, ya know? I would be most thankful if anyone can help.

Here is what it says about parks.

39-17-1311. Carrying Weapons on Public Parks, Playgrounds, Civic Centers and Other Public Recreational Buildings and Grounds. (a) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any weapon prohibited by 39-17-1302(a), not used solely for instructional, display or sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes. (B) (1) The Provisions of Subsection (a) Shall Not Apply to the Following Persons:
    (H) Persons possessing a handgun, who are authorized to carry the handgun pursuant to 39-17-1351, while within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof, except as otherwise provided in subsection (d);

State parks:
    Carry Allowed in these Areas:
    State Parks: YES
    State/National Forests: YES
    WMAs & Public Hunting Areas: YES
    Road Side Rest Areas: YES Unless Posted

Ive read the Tennessee laws over and over again. I am going to be there Saturday for a week.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Be advised, the state allowed local governments to opt-out when the law passed and many did. You will encounter local parks where you can not carry including parks that are allowed but they never took the signs down. In TN signs carry weight of law so be sure you ask about local parks.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

@Jetfuelrm - Okay, so in plain English that sounds like this to me: "Carrying with a permit is permitted in Public Parks, Playgrounds, Civic Centers and Other Public Recreational Buildings and Grounds"

Looks like you got that from Handgunlaw.us which is great but that second paragraph about rest areas, etc. needs clearer citations...

@jem102 - Thanks. Yeah, I was aware but been quite baffled on how to identify which parks actually allow carry even though the out-of-date sign remains intact.

I will be a guest in East Tennessee for a week beginning Saturday. Since I do not live there if I see signs I will not enter if I am carrying. There would be no way for me to know which local governments opted out since I am not a resident there. Since signs do carry weight of law in Tennessee I will not chance being a permanent resident in a jail cell. Thankfully here signs carry no weight of law so I don't even take notice. I guess if it were me I would call the local law enforcement in the area you will be,therefore clarifying it.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

around memphis all local parks are no weapons I will find the code if you want it, tennessee is pretty easy, if theres a sign its illegal.signs carry the weight of law and here in memphis they will try to throw "intent to go armed" at you in a hurry. airports are no go unless you follow federal guidelines for flying with a weapon ANY park being used by a school is no gun in my understanding, you can carry into a bar (most are posted no gun here anyway) but DO NOT CONSUME. drivers license center is no gun state law in my understanding (the ones here have huge signs regardless)

I AM NOT A LAWYER I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY I AM NOT A STATE REP. I AM NOT A LAWYER

Unsure of other Federal lands, but the US Army Corps of Engineers Fee Title lands do not allowed loaded firearms except when in the act of hunting in legal hunting areas. Oddly enough, firearms are allowed, but ammunition is what is prohibited.
    Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiCoupl View Post
    around memphis all local parks are no weapons I will find the code if you want it, tennessee is pretty easy, if theres a sign its illegal.signs carry the weight of law and here in memphis they will try to throw "intent to go armed" at you in a hurry. airports are no go unless you follow federal guidelines for flying with a weapon ANY park being used by a school is no gun in my understanding, you can carry into a bar (most are posted no gun here anyway) but DO NOT CONSUME. drivers license center is no gun state law in my understanding (the ones here have huge signs regardless)
    Only issue with signs carrying the weight of law is that apparently one of the laws removed a gun ban on certain types of parks - I think state - but allowed for the signs to remain in order to save money having to remove them. (Weird and dumb.) I am seeking the exact code on this but I read about it from multiple sources and am trying to verify.

I would in fact love to get the exact code on all all local parks around Memphis. That would be awesome.

On carrying into a bar, wasn't there a bunch of bickering back and forth with a court case repealing this and whatnot? Can you help me with documentation of the final outcome?

I saw your post in the other thread and realized that you were right, that I hadn't replied. My bad! And thanks for your help!

Memphis City Ordinance

Sec. 10-32-2. - Weapons—Carrying.

A.
    Any person who shall carry in any manner whatever, with the intent to go armed, any razor; dirk; bowie knife or other knife of like form, shape or size; pocket knife with any blade over four inches in length; sword cane; ice pick; slingshot; blackjack, brass knuckles; Spanish stiletto; or any rifle or shotgun or any pistol or revolver of any kind whatever; or a fountain pen pistol or gun, or like instrument containing a firing pin capable of shooting tear gas or pistol cartridges; or any other dangerous weapon, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. It shall be the intent of the city government to exercise its statutory option to opt out of any state law that would otherwise authorize the carrying of firearms on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiCoupl View Post
    Memphis City Ordinance

Sec. 10-32-2. - Weapons—Carrying.

A.
    Any person who shall carry in any manner whatever, with the intent to go armed, any razor; dirk; bowie knife or other knife of like form, shape or size; pocket knife with any blade over four inches in length; sword cane; ice pick; slingshot; blackjack, brass knuckles; Spanish stiletto; or any rifle or shotgun or any pistol or revolver of any kind whatever; or a fountain pen pistol or gun, or like instrument containing a firing pin capable of shooting tear gas or pistol cartridges; or any other dangerous weapon, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. It shall be the intent of the city government to exercise its statutory option to opt out of any state law that would otherwise authorize the carrying of firearms on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds.
    So carrying anywhere besides parks is illegal UNLESS you have a permit, carrying parks is illegal EVEN WITH a permit, and parks must be posted because Memphis is not grandfathered in...(My interpretation of the above.)

yes they are posted but note this line: It shall be the intent of the city government to exercise its statutory option to opt out of any state law that would otherwise authorize the carrying of firearms on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds.

Links