SC CWP Holders NEED Action ASAP: Resturant Carry Bill - Page 2

SC CWP Holders NEED Action ASAP: Resturant Carry Bill

This is a discussion on SC CWP Holders NEED Action ASAP: Resturant Carry Bill within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tmoore912 We had to fight hard in Georgia to get this, but it sure was worth it. Same thing here in the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: SC CWP Holders NEED Action ASAP: Resturant Carry Bill

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    We had to fight hard in Georgia to get this, but it sure was worth it. Same thing here in the media................people were going to shoot the waitress/waiter if they screwed up the order, "Blood in the streets" type stuff.

It's a non-issue now. Good luck.

It would be great also if you could get your Legislators to allow reciprocity with Georgia's GWCL holders.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    The constitutional carry bill might help this. I will have to read it again to see how it affects citizens of other states.
    Do you have a Bill number or a Link? I would like to take a look at it. Thanks
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

That's my understanding. A Sparkle City ( County ) resident I can only afford to go to those
    "other" places that don't serve alcohol.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Should know Tuesday if it will make to a full vote.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Do you have a Bill number or a Link? I would like to take a look at it. Thanks
    2013-2014 Bill 115: Constitutional Carry Act - South Carolina Legislature Online

The bill is not limited to state citizens. It would allow all people to carry concealed in the state witrhout a permit.
    tcox4freedom and WHEC724 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    That's my understanding. A Sparkle City ( County ) resident I can only afford to go to those
    "other" places that don't serve alcohol.
    They are not all high-end. For a while Moe's served beer. Chipotle still does; so does my favorite Thai restaurant. Applebee's and O'charley's are prohibited. I would not enter our Applebee's without carrying, so I don't go (probably won't go there even if I could).
    Last edited by phreddy; February 14th, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
    Jaybm likes this.

Georgia passed HB 89 back in 2008 iirc, which let us eat at a restaurant that served alcohol but we still could not consume. When nothing bad happened like the Antis said would happen, we passed SB 308 in 2010 which took away the consumption prohibition of alcohol part of the law. Still nothing bad has happened. Sometimes you have to take baby steps with the Legislators.

We still can't carry into a true Bar in Georgia, without the owners permission.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

I think too many believe the old westerns and think the "Wild West" is reality now

Georgia passed HB 89 back in 2008 iirc, which let us eat at a restaurant that served alcohol but we still could not consume. When nothing bad happened like the Antis said would happen, we passed SB 308 in 2010 which took away the consumption prohibition of alcohol part of the law. Still nothing bad has happened. Sometimes you have to take baby steps with the Legislators.

We still can't carry into a true Bar in Georgia, without the owners permission.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    emailing now

Damn... Learn something new every day... good thing I never carry in restaurants ;)

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    We had to fight hard in Georgia to get this, but it sure was worth it. Same thing here in the media................people were going to shoot the waitress/waiter if they screwed up the order, "Blood in the streets" type stuff.

It's a non-issue now. Good luck.

It would be great also if you could get your Legislators to allow reciprocity with Georgia's GWCL holders.
    It would be great also if you could get your Legislators to allow reciprocity with South Carolina's CWP holders.

-

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    It would be great also if you could get your Legislators to allow reciprocity with South Carolina's CWP holders.

-
    Is Georgia a reciprocity state or a recognition state? If their state law is reciprocity, they are limited to states that are willing to reciprocate. That is the law in SC. Even if a state has same requirements as SC, if that state will not accept SC permits, then SLED is forbidden by law to accept the other states permits. When the law is written to allow recognition, it does not matter what the other state does as long as the requirements are met. As the SC law now stands, Georgia would have to require a training class and recognize SC permits for anything to change.
    Last edited by phreddy; February 14th, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Update ...
    Yesterday, Senate Bill 308 passed in the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee. S. 308, introduced by state Senator Sean Bennett (R-38), is a critical self-defense reform that would remove the prohibition on a Concealed Weapon Permit (CWP) holder carrying a concealed firearm into a restaurant licensed to serve alcohol. Under S. 308, a permit holder would still be prohibited from consuming alcohol while in the restaurant if he or she is carrying a concealed firearm for personal protection. An NRA representative testified in support of S. 308 at this subcommittee meeting yesterday.

S. 308 will soon be considered by the full Senate Judiciary Committee, so please contact members of this committee today and urge them to support this important Restaurant Carry bill.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    Update ...
    Yesterday, Senate Bill 308 passed in the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee. S. 308, introduced by state Senator Sean Bennett (R-38), is a critical self-defense reform that would remove the prohibition on a Concealed Weapon Permit (CWP) holder carrying a concealed firearm into a restaurant licensed to serve alcohol. Under S. 308, a permit holder would still be prohibited from consuming alcohol while in the restaurant if he or she is carrying a concealed firearm for personal protection. An NRA representative testified in support of S. 308 at this subcommittee meeting yesterday.

S. 308 will soon be considered by the full Senate Judiciary Committee, so please contact members of this committee today and urge them to support this important Restaurant Carry bill.
    Aw man! I thought it was out of committee. Ow well. At least it is moving.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Is Georgia a reciprocity state or a recognition state? If their state law is reciprocity, they are limited to states that are willing to reciprocate. That is the law in SC. Even if a state has same requirements as SC, if that state will not accept SC permits, then SLED is forbidden by law to accept the other states permits. When the law is written to allow recognition, it does not matter what the other state does as long as the requirements are met. As the SC law now stands, Georgia would have to require a training class and recognize SC permits for anything to change.
    Georgia's law as written is basically if you recognize our license, we will recognize your license. Seems like a Win Win.

Georgia will not anytime in the near future have a training requirement attached to it's GWCL approval.

Some Legislators in Ga. have introduced a Bill to automatically accept any State's carry license, no matter what. It has not passed yet, but if it does.........then those in SC that have a carry license with be able to legally carry in Ga. Even though SC will continue to have a prohibition against GWCL license holders.

South Carolinian's have had the opportunity to get other State's Non-Resident License and carry in Georgia, but South Carolina specifically has a prohibition against anyone from obtaining a Non-Resident carry to be able to carry in SC. SC only accepts Resident carry licenses from States that have a training requirement and they have reciprocity with. Why not accept a Non-resident license from a State that has a training requirement.

http://georgiapacking.org/law.php

Reciprocity

Georgia law allows for "reciprocity" of carry licenses, which means two states agree they will accept the other state's license. This can be done by a function of the law by itself or by an actual agreement signed between the governments of two states. Georgia's law states that if another state will honor a Georgia Weapons Carry License, then Georgia will honor their license or permit. The GA attorney general can also enter into reciprocity agreements with other states to allow licensed Georgia residents to carry in the reciprocal state which makes the honoring of the license more official (the AG creates an official list, though it is often slow to be updated). To find out what states have reciprocal agreements and allow Georgia residents to carry in those states, visit my Reciprocity page.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Georgia's law as written is basically if you recognize our license, we will recognize your license. Seems like a Win Win.

Georgia will not anytime in the near future have a training requirement attached to it's GWCL approval.

Some Legislators in Ga. have introduced a Bill to automatically accept any State's carry license, no matter what. It has not passed yet, but if it does.........then those in SC that have a carry license with be able to legally carry in Ga. Even though SC will continue to have a prohibition against GWCL license holders.

South Carolinian's have had the opportunity to get other State's Non-Resident License and carry in Georgia, but South Carolina specifically has a prohibition against anyone from obtaining a Non-Resident carry to be able to carry in SC. SC only accepts Resident carry licenses from States that have a training requirement and they have reciprocity with. Why not accept a Non-resident license from a State that has a training requirement.

Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully constitutional carry will pass so this issue will be rectified.

I wonder if Georgia would accept a SC license if constitutional carry passes. Legally SC would still not be recognizing GA's permit, it just would not be requiring a permit. This seems like a possible unintended consequence of the bill. Out-of-state residents would gain more than SC state residents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links