1st LEO encounter while CCW in Virginia, non-event

This is a discussion on 1st LEO encounter while CCW in Virginia, non-event within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Short of it, driving a bit too fast on 95 heading home last night. 5 miles from my exit a Caroline county sheriff pulls out, ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By BaldSasq
  • 7 Post By Rob99VMI04
  • 1 Post By MJB_17
  • 1 Post By KBSR
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By USM1976

Thread: 1st LEO encounter while CCW in Virginia, non-event

1st LEO encounter while CCW in Virginia, non-event

Short of it, driving a bit too fast on 95 heading home last night. 5 miles from my exit a Caroline county sheriff pulls out, and I look down realize I was going too fast (was in a daze, zoned out not paying attention to my speed), pulled over, officer approached, asked for my paperwork. Offered my license, couldn't find my registration (he said if the car is registered to me, no sweat) and then dug out my CCW. He said "Don't worry about that", didn't ask about my gun, nothing, totally professional. Went back, wrote up my ticket (This isn't one of those stories where the guy gets a pass on a ticket because of his CCW, I WAS going too fast) came back, explained the point system to me when I asked (Haven't been pulled over in 20 years) and said "Thanks for being polite" to me. If that sheriff is on this forum, I wish I had gotten a warning, but I am glad that my very first LEO encounter while CCW was an easy one.
    USM1976 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I have made it a habit, every encounter with police I write to the department. Everybody loves to complain about cops, i do to sometimes, but the bottom line is even if you get a ticket (which you deserved) you should let the department know that the officer did a good job or a crappy job. Everybody loves to write scathing letters when things don't go well, but give credit where credit is do, send a note to the department with the officers name just saying how professional he was, even though your probably not happy you recieved a ticket (which is still your fault) sometimes it nice to let them know your appreciation in a crappy situation.
    Aceoky, BaldSasq, USM1976 and 4 others like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Most are totally professional, surprised he didn't ask what kind of firearm you had !

Question ... did you keep both hands visible on the steering wheel when he approached ?
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

mkh
    Good encounter. I like the idea of following up with the Sheriff's Office. People with beefs complain and that's mostly what they get. It's time we praise the good interactions.

Sorry about your citation, but as you said, you WERE speeding so. That deputy definitely was very professional about things, from your description of the events I get the feeling he is probably one of the many LEOs that are strongly in favor of law abiding citizens legally being armed. I have two friends that are LEOs in the DFW area, one works a very rough area in Dallas and the other is with a suburban agency that has more than it's share of crime for a city it's size, I consulted both for their opinions before getting my CHL and they both were staunchly in favor of lawful CC.
    USM1976 likes this.

That's how it should always work out. There are more professionals out there, than the other way around (thank God). I like the idea of writing a short note to his Chief or the Sheriff, patting the man on the back. It's the right thing to do, and those things pay dividends, long term.

Be safe.
    USM1976 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Just the wy it should go. I've never had any problems with LEO's here in VA. As to the ticket, if I get stopped I fully expect to get a ticket. If the LEO decides to take pity on me, I won't complain. If he decided not to, no complaint there either.
    USM1976 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Same thing for me in Wythe County VA, but the deputy did ask what I carry. Pretty sure just out of curiousity. I used to work with his wife so he knew who I was. No problem at all.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I have made it a habit, every encounter with police I write to the department. Everybody loves to complain about cops, i do to sometimes, but the bottom line is even if you get a ticket (which you deserved) you should let the department know that the officer did a good job or a crappy job. Everybody loves to write scathing letters when things don't go well, but give credit where credit is do, send a note to the department with the officers name just saying how professional he was, even though your probably not happy you recieved a ticket (which is still your fault) sometimes it nice to let them know your appreciation in a crappy situation.

Thank you from 30 year retired LEO...most people do not think this way...the common thread is if one complains, perhaps, the citation will disappear...what actually happens is the officer appears in court to make certain you are found guilty and fined...citation fines are very
    expensive Houston...then add court costs to that...
    BaldSasq likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Sorry about your citation, but as you said, you WERE speeding so. That deputy definitely was very professional about things, from your description of the events I get the feeling he is probably one of the many LEOs that are strongly in favor of law abiding citizens legally being armed. I have two friends that are LEOs in the DFW area, one works a very rough area in Dallas and the other is with a suburban agency that has more than it's share of crime for a city it's size, I consulted both for their opinions before getting my CHL and they both were staunchly in favor of lawful CC.
    You won't get too many complaints or anti-gun police officers in Texas.....

Just as an aside: You weren't required to tell him you were carrying, unless he asked.

Glad it turned out (sorta) OK.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Yep, it was night-time, raining, turned on the dome light, and turned off the car, hands on the wheel.

Yup, I know in VA it's may notify. I just prefer to notify.

I've found County Sheriffs to be easier to deal with than VASP
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links