Should I inform a law enforcement acquaintance of my CCW?

This is a discussion on Should I inform a law enforcement acquaintance of my CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently received my CCW permit and am already starting to carry wherever I can with the obvious exceptions to rules in my location (e.g. ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Should I inform a law enforcement acquaintance of my CCW?

I recently received my CCW permit and am already starting to carry wherever I can with the obvious exceptions to rules in my location (e.g. daughter's school, church, etc.). My daughter is on a soccer team and the families have been together several seasons - good people, we all sort of know each other. One of the dad's with whom I hang out with a lot at the games, is a state trooper. Although I know I don't have a particular legal obligation to let him know that I carry (only if a LEO pulls me over, from what I can gather), I feel respect for him in the role he serves and I personally like him as a person. I'm considering dropping him an email asking to have a quick phone chat with him and basically saying "...got my CCW, I carry now, I wanted you to be aware because I respect you as a LEO, but also as a friend...". The last thing I would want is to not have told him and then potentially accidentally print or something someday at one of the games, putting him in an awkward position.

I have only told 3 people that I now carry (wife, 2 friends that also carry) and I don't plan to tell many in the future, but I think my soccer dad buddy/state trooper is an exception.

Please let me know your guys thoughts. I am big on "honesty is the best policy" and think this is the mature, responsible route to take.

Thanks!

And, apologies - I thought I had already introduced myself on the forums, but I think it was another. I'm a new CCW guy - wife and three kids, former Navy. I enjoy the forums! :)

VIP Member
    Once you tell someone, it is impossible to untell them. I also respect my friends, so much so that I don't trouble them by telling any of them I am carrying a firearm.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

It sounds like you want to....if you do, then tell him.

If you're not really feeling some compulsion to tell him I see no reason to, respect and friendship notwithstanding.

I believe that I do want to tell him, for the reasons I noted above. I'm feeling to let him know for his sake/knowledge. Would it be appropriate, I guess is what I'm asking?

I have not told a soul outside of my home.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

It has nothing to do with "honesty being the best policy" or that this is a mature and responsible route. If you want to tell him tell him. What ever floats your baot. IMO you are way over thinking this. You have no obligation at all. Just ask yourself this: Are you better friends with anyone else and you are not going to tell them? If so, the only reason this person has the "privelege" of knowing you CC is that he is a LEO.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Unless he is pulling you over and by law you must inform him... I wouldn't
    CharlesMorri likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    It has nothing to do with "honesty being the best policy" or that this is a mature and responsible route. If you want to tell him tell him. What ever floats your baot. IMO you are way over thinking this. You have no obligation at all. Just ask yourself this: Are you better friends with anyone else and you are not going to tell them? If so, the only reason this person has the "privelege" of knowing you CC is that he is a LEO.

^^^^Took the words right out of my mouth^^^^^^

OP, so you are saying you don't value anyone elses friendship at the soccer field?

It is none of his business, any more than it would be his business to tell you he either IS or ISN'T carrying while off duty.
    Don't make things "weird" betweeen you and the trooper.
    He could give a rats back end if you are carrying.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakepaul1 View Post
    I believe that I do want to tell him, for the reasons I noted above. I'm feeling to let him know for his sake/knowledge. Would it be appropriate, I guess is what I'm asking?
    How is his well-being better served by the knowledge you are carrying?
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I think you're right about the over thinking on my part. And, yes, it's not that I feel we're super-best friends or anything, but that I know him, hang out with him some, he's LEO, and what if I ever were to accidentally show. Would rather him know up front. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    How is his well-being better served by the knowledge you are carrying?
    I guess I'm just considering if I were ever to print around him. So, part of it is nervousness. Sorry, being a noob and over thinking it.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

GH
    It can't hurt to let him know. I can't see it doing any good, though. It's totally up to you who you tell. A trusted friend who is a supporter of the 2nd Amendment, yes. A stranger, no.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

If he's a really good trooper, he may already know that you carry. ;)

Thanks, oneshot. That gives the reason not to tell him much clarity. Based on what you said, I don't believe I'll tell him now. Like you said about the "weird" thing - my telling him might have the opposite effect of what I would want. Mum's the word then. Thanks much...

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^Took the words right out of my mouth^^^^^^

OP, so you are saying you don't value anyone elses friendship at the soccer field?

Itis none of his business, any more than it would be his business to tell you he either IS or ISN'T carrying while off duty.
    Don't make things "weird" betweeen you and the trooper.
    He could give a rats back end if you are carrying.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links