Defensive Carry banner

Just took the Kansas CCW class

12K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  critterhog 
#1 ·
I just went through the Kansas CCH Canceled Carry Handgun class. Alright after 26 years in the AF 24 of them in an armed AFSC I found the class very boring. I can see a need for it especially with some of the participants. According to the instructor in his last class he had two people that had never fired a gun before the class. Kansas allows you to qualify with any handgun. 4 people used .22 Ruggers. One of them was able to hit the target 19 out of 25 times, 18 to qualify.

There was some very good information, and some surprises. Kansas does not have a brandishing law. Also Kansas passed a castle doctrine.

Everyone passed the class both written and range. All in all I’m glad it is over. :banana:

#2 ·
People exercising rights is refreshing

The Second Amendment rights of Kansas people were stymied for too many years by politicians who never read the Constitution. Finally this was changed and ordinary folks are taking back what is theirs.

#3 ·
Good for ya.
The classes are good because they put out state specific laws.

I, too, used a ruger single six, it was slow reloading, ok for the class though, since the shooting wasn't scored. Even so it was hard to miss at 7yds or closer for a few shots. One benny was, that revolvers were in the first relay to get rid of them.

#4 ·
Took mine last month. Like you I found most of it boring, the leagal stuff was pretty good. There were people in the class that needed all the training they could get though. I used my Kimber Eclipse, first time factory ammo was shot through it! (They didn't allow reloads).
Just curious, what did the course cost you? I shelled out $125.

#11 ·
I took mine on 1 JUL with Bill Regina up in St. Joe.

I agree that the material was pretty dry in some areas, but Bill R. is one of the best instructors, military or civilian, I’ve ever had. He really did a good job in keeping the material interesting. We were a group from FT. Leavenworth, so we were mostly retired Army with a couple of active duty guys sprinkled in. I’ve signed up to take some additional training with him next month.

I also think that Bill R. is one of the more affordable instructors out there. Our class fee was $80 per, and I saw on KS CCW that he’s offering a $60 class due to using a private range.

I used my Kimber Eclipse, first time factory ammo was shot through it! (They didn't allow reloads).
I used my Baer Concept V and the no reload thing caught me by surprise too. I was planning on using my ultra sneaky 200 SWC “gamer” loads, and it was the first time I’d run factory though mine. Bill R, was kind enough to spot me a couple boxes of ball at his cost.

Chuck

#8 ·
Same price $125; I went the Kaw Valley Gun Club for mine. I did see some advertisements for $75 for Kansas CCW but when I called he was out of Liberty, MO. That just seemed like a long drive for the 8 hour class. The same guy advertised $75 classes for Utah CCW also. I may take advantage of those after getting through the last few Kansas hoops.

#9 ·
I too took the class back in Aug. It cost $100 and the instructor was great. He is 20 yr. active LE and was able to add some interesting info to the class. While I am in no way an expert on handguns, I have used them for rec target shooting for about 20yrs. I too was concerned about the class being boring. The instructor can make or break the class.

#10 ·
My insructor had been teaching this type of thing for years. but it was as if he had never seen this course before.

#13 ·
You have to PASS the class? Wow. In Michigan, at least, you just need the NRA certificate and to get that there is no pass/fail. It's strictly up to the instructor to decide if you are capable of carrying without being a danger, which everyone is.

There was a written test but it was open book and the "hard" questions were preanswered.

Actually, I kinda like the idea of having to pass a live range test. It would make it more interesting. OK, not really, but it would make the pucker factor a bit more fun!

#16 ·
We might need a Kansas instructor to weigh in on this one. My instructor explained it a bit different. If you are reaching for something on the top shelf at Walmart and you expose yourself (gun) to a soccor mom you are in the clear.

#19 ·
talked to a gun-friendly LEO about that (open carry) once. He told me that yes it was legal BUT if I were to walk into a business with a gun strapped to my side more than likely someone would get paranoid, call the cops, they would show up to determine what my intenions were. It would probably happen again the next store I went to. Boiled down to Yes, you can carry openly but you probably won't be able to do it hassle free and if lots of people started doing it you could almost bet the city council would pass an ordinance against it.

#18 ·
I checked with an instructor, brandishing is purposely displaying your weapon in an attempt to intimidate (without justification). The "Wal-Mart" scenario was brought up during that discussion and I guess I mentally connected to two. Glad I got that cleared up, I was concerned about just such a thing happening!

#20 ·
Oh, I agree, sisco. I wouldnt mind open carrying while away from town, but in town I am for CCW. I was mearly saying that if open carry is legal, then I don't see how a ccw weapon "popping out" was illegal.

My brother, a local deputy, also said the same thing as your instructor, sisco. So everybody will be fine as long as they don't get stupid and do something they know they arent supposed to do.

#22 ·
Critter:

I don't think that is accurate. I believe the new KS law will void all local laws restricting concealed carry on January 2, 2007.

#23 ·
True, but as the attorney that taught my class put it some cities (Wichita was mentioned) may attempt to keep enforcing any ordinances they already have meaning someone will have to be a "test" case.
The Governess kept vetoing it because she doesn't trust the citizens of Kansas. She indicated that the only people she did trust are off duty and retired LEO's.

#24 ·
True it'll allow you to carry concealed, and not be restricted but the open carry laws will still be the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.