Just took the Kansas CCW class

This is a discussion on Just took the Kansas CCW class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just went through the Kansas CCH Canceled Carry Handgun class. Alright after 26 years in the AF 24 of them in an armed AFSC ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just took the Kansas CCW class

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!

Just took the Kansas CCW class

I just went through the Kansas CCH Canceled Carry Handgun class. Alright after 26 years in the AF 24 of them in an armed AFSC I found the class very boring. I can see a need for it especially with some of the participants. According to the instructor in his last class he had two people that had never fired a gun before the class. Kansas allows you to qualify with any handgun. 4 people used .22 Ruggers. One of them was able to hit the target 19 out of 25 times, 18 to qualify.

There was some very good information, and some surprises. Kansas does not have a brandishing law. Also Kansas passed a castle doctrine.

Everyone passed the class both written and range. All in all I’m glad it is over.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

2. Remove Ads

People exercising rights is refreshing

The Second Amendment rights of Kansas people were stymied for too many years by politicians who never read the Constitution. Finally this was changed and ordinary folks are taking back what is theirs.

VIP Member
    Good for ya.
    The classes are good because they put out state specific laws.

I, too, used a ruger single six, it was slow reloading, ok for the class though, since the shooting wasn't scored. Even so it was hard to miss at 7yds or closer for a few shots. One benny was, that revolvers were in the first relay to get rid of them.

Took mine last month. Like you I found most of it boring, the leagal stuff was pretty good. There were people in the class that needed all the training they could get though. I used my Kimber Eclipse, first time factory ammo was shot through it! (They didn't allow reloads).
    Just curious, what did the course cost you? I shelled out $125.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Congrats to all the Kansas members on their ability to carry.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I took the class at the beginning of Aug. and it cost me $100.
    Last edited by Gonefission; October 29th, 2006 at 10:23 AM.

Assistant Administrator
    Looks like plenty of folks in KS are at the ready and - IIRC, now - just 9 weeks and counting.

At last.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Same price $125; I went the Kaw Valley Gun Club for mine. I did see some advertisements for $75 for Kansas CCW but when I called he was out of Liberty, MO. That just seemed like a long drive for the 8 hour class. The same guy advertised $75 classes for Utah CCW also. I may take advantage of those after getting through the last few Kansas hoops.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

I too took the class back in Aug. It cost $100 and the instructor was great. He is 20 yr. active LE and was able to add some interesting info to the class. While I am in no way an expert on handguns, I have used them for rec target shooting for about 20yrs. I too was concerned about the class being boring. The instructor can make or break the class.

My insructor had been teaching this type of thing for years. but it was as if he had never seen this course before.

I took mine on 1 JUL with Bill Regina up in St. Joe.

I agree that the material was pretty dry in some areas, but Bill R. is one of the best instructors, military or civilian, I’ve ever had. He really did a good job in keeping the material interesting. We were a group from FT. Leavenworth, so we were mostly retired Army with a couple of active duty guys sprinkled in. I’ve signed up to take some additional training with him next month.

I also think that Bill R. is one of the more affordable instructors out there. Our class fee was $80 per, and I saw on KS CCW that he’s offering a $60 class due to using a private range.

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    I used my Kimber Eclipse, first time factory ammo was shot through it! (They didn't allow reloads).
    I used my Baer Concept V and the no reload thing caught me by surprise too. I was planning on using my ultra sneaky 200 SWC “gamer” loads, and it was the first time I’d run factory though mine. Bill R, was kind enough to spot me a couple boxes of ball at his cost.

Chuck

What do you mean that Kansas does not have a brandishing rule?? I took the Kansas class also and they did not go over that. Steve 48

You have to PASS the class? Wow. In Michigan, at least, you just need the NRA certificate and to get that there is no pass/fail. It's strictly up to the instructor to decide if you are capable of carrying without being a danger, which everyone is.

There was a written test but it was open book and the "hard" questions were preanswered.

Actually, I kinda like the idea of having to pass a live range test. It would make it more interesting. OK, not really, but it would make the pucker factor a bit more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    What do you mean that Kansas does not have a brandishing rule?? I took the Kansas class also and they did not go over that. Steve 48
    Brandshing is not allowed unless you can justify it. You shirt pulls up while reaching for the top shelf at WalMart and paranoid soccer mom sees your gun you can be charged with brandishing.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    Brandshing is not allowed unless you can justify it. You shirt pulls up while reaching for the top shelf at WalMart and paranoid soccer mom sees your gun you can be charged with brandishing.
    Wow. That's total crap. Are you sure? Unless they specifically define "brandishing" in the statute, case law will fall under the dictionary definition, which typically includes the word "menacing".

In Michigan, they specifically adopted the dictionary definition, so I have to display my gun in a menacing way to get successfully prosecuted for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links