What is cant and what is the purpose

This is a discussion on What is cant and what is the purpose within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From what I can figure out cant has to do with the angle you holster your weapon? Also, what is the purpose, is it to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What is cant and what is the purpose

From what I can figure out cant has to do with the angle you holster your weapon?

Also, what is the purpose, is it to draw your weapon faster, is it to better hide the weapon, to draw it faster, all of the above?

I have tried searching, however put cant into Google and you get can't.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Like you said, angle of the holster, some people like it angled (the majority prefer it, I think there's a poll on it right now) , some don't. It's just preference and what works best for you.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Like you said, angle of the holster, some people like it angled (the majority prefer it, I think there's a poll on it right now) , some don't. It's just preference and what works best for you.
    I was reading that poll, that was what triggered the question, but it all assumes that you know what cant is.

cant is: anglular deviation from a vertical or horazontal plane or surface or slope.
    A thrust or motion that tilts something
    A tilt that causes thrust or motion.
    Just looked it up, you can google it as: cant or tilt

Holster angle, as Burns said. Lots prefer a forward, or "FBI" cant, angling the grip to the front and the muzzle to the rear. This aids greatly in concealing, especially with a larger gun. Some prefer a neutral cant, straight up and down.

As usual, no right or wrong. It's all about what you prefer.

That's it, like I posted in that poll I have a forward cant to help from printing (gun outline showing) and I think it helps me with a forward cant when I draw from IWB when the holster is past the 3:00 position. I have a OWB holster and when I wear it, it's at the 3:00 postion and straight down feels better, again for me.

Difference in draw speed is negligible from what I have read.

Difference in concealing seems to be the main issue. It lets the grip run up the side instead of sticking back.

Forward cant also places the gun in a more natural position to get a good grip.

But a lot of it boils down to personal preference.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Here is a canted, strong side holster.

Here is a non-canted, vertical holster.

Quote Originally Posted by baruffic View Post
    Also, what is the purpose, is it to draw your weapon faster, is it to better hide the weapon, to draw it faster, all of the above?
    Yes.

Depending on body shape, fitness/flexibility, gear selection, altering the cant of the gun can help in concealment, comfort, presentation/draw effectiveness. Every person's different. Which is why cant (even adjustable cant) is an element many holster makers allow to be altered.

For me, I've found that carrying a 6-8" (OAL) handgun in a snug-fitting IWB/OWB just behind the hip with a ~20 forward cant works very well. YMMV, depending.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

depending on how you practice your draws, a forward cant can be a faster draw. In self defense training you would tend to assume a forward leaning posture with your body, from here, a straight down 0 cant draw is slow and clunky, your arm binds up...but a forward cant allows you to draw smoothly and get your gun into action faster.

as was said, it all depend son you, what you like, how you carry, how your body shape is, how you train to present your pistol...

For me, i like a LOT of forward cant, 20+ degrees. in a cross draw holster, even more, closer to 35 degrees.

Very interesting. Thanks for the feedback everyone!! My current iwb doesn't have the ability to do that but I have a super tuck on order. I will have to play with that a bit when I get it.

Thanks again.

A word my Mother used frequently to ruin my fun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

GH
    I'm fortunate that I can vary the cant of my holster a certain extent to fit the situation. The further back the more cant. If I have it lesser than 3:00 o'clock position it's more comfortable to have it almost vertical but it doesn't conceal as well. I find myself carrying at the 2:00 position the most with 4:00- 4:30 some of the time depending on what clothes I'm wearing & what activities I'll be engaged in. Even though printing is no problem in my state I still believe in full concealment & that's probably what dictates where my gun will be hanging within reason. After making a position change other than normal I always draw my weapon a half dozen times to make sure I can reach it fast & easily.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

If you carry after 3:00 (RH) or before 9:00 (LH), reach back to where your gun is holstered with a straight wrist. Your hand should be aligned with your grip. If not, adjust the cant of your holster accordingly. The goal is for you hand to naturally line up with your gun when you go to draw.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

NMB
    Im a pretty thin guy. With a heavy cant, I can easily conceal a full size 1911, without one, the grip sticks out behind me and prints badly.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links