Increasing prices for Concealed Carry Classes?

This is a discussion on Increasing prices for Concealed Carry Classes? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Classes for concealed carry permits in my area have been in seriously high demand over the past few months. To top it off, ammo costs ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Increasing prices for Concealed Carry Classes?

Classes for concealed carry permits in my area have been in seriously high demand over the past few months. To top it off, ammo costs have gone up but availability has gone down. Today, one of the more popular places here announced today that they will be increasing their class price from by $25 to $175 for classes that start in May. They area already booked until the end of April and will start offering the May scheduling here soon. However, given the quality of education that they provide, I still think it is worth the price.

Have the price of classes in your area gone up in response to increased demand, decreased supplies, and increased costs?

Raising prices for a class from $25 to $175 dollars is not a price increase, not sure as what to call it, but I'm sure it involves a lubricant of some type.
    People charging those prices are not much better than the 'people' that they are training you to protect yourself from...OMOYMV

In our area, classes are always full, but still reasonable...usually $40-50.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GH
    I really can't say much about the price of classes in the Milwaukee area but one of the CC schools had a special over the holidays lasting until Jan.15 I believe. It was $50 & I'm pretty sure it was either $75 or $100 normally. My daughter in-law wanted to take the class but her & my son were in the process of moving so she missed out. I didn't have to take the class because I'm a vet & as a matter of fact I only know one person who took the class over a year ago. All the rest of my friends are vets.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    The norm is 75$ around here. And they included an Associates membership to the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Raising prices for a class from $25 to $175 dollars is not a price increase, not sure as what to call it, but I'm sure it involves a lubricant of some type.

No... it was BY $25. It was $150 now it is $175. That does not include the $100 filing fee paid to the state to get the actual CPL.

The classes in my area range from 65.00-95.00.The instructors say they have no problems finding people to take it.Obviously,that doesn't include the 50.00 for the permit

Wow, really? In Lansing classes are $80 and they supply the guns and ammo.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnsc View Post
    The classes in my area range from 65.00-95.00.The instructors say they have no problems finding people to take it.Obviously,that doesn't include the 50.00 for the permit
    Here its 141.50 for permit.

in ohio it ranges from 45-100 bones/head, and i beleive $65 to file.

I paid $70 here plus $125 to the state so they could probe into my background. Our permits are good for 5 yrs.

I'm taking one tomorrow in our town: $75. That's been the going rate for some time. You provide your own gun and ammo. The 3-year CWP is another $50.

Get in there and get your CCW class over and done with, already!

If you think that prices for these classes are high now---just wait and see how much higher they can go (I really do not advise that course of action.)

VIP Member
    If the price increase is just the cost of the class, then people are getting raped. If the increase also covers range time and ammo needed, then it might not be too bad, depending on how much ammo is needed for the class. Some of the cost increase may be because the instructors are overloaded and are being compensated for the additional work/hours required for the behind the scene things the general public don't see.

Added: I can't answer this, but I'm sure some of our CC Instructors can. How much behind the scene time do you have per class? For every hour of classroom time, how much time is spent on lesson plan updates, law change research, processing of training certificates, those sort of things?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Around here I know of an operation in a shady office park that could double as a "film" studio in Chatsworth that charges $85 for initial classes, and another that at last check charges $180 for the same in an equally shady office park, but with a nicer mailing address. Ironically, the more expensive one is co-located with an investment company that is running a boiler room/pump and dump fraud that will inevitably be raided eventually. I wouldn't want to be an FFL holder running a legit business 50 feet from an ongoing criminal enterprise, especially in these times.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I think there has been a general increase of people getting thier permits around the country. As far as I know in Utah, classes have not changed in price. I think its wrong for somebody to try and take advantage of others who have few choices. Supply and demand.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links