New Taurus Pt709 Slim not working, any suggestions?

This is a discussion on New Taurus Pt709 Slim not working, any suggestions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone :) I bought a BRAND NEW Taurus Pt709 Slim 2 days ago. I took it apart and cleaned it as soon as I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Taurus Pt709 Slim not working, any suggestions?

New Member Array master_of_aces's Avatar

Angry New Taurus Pt709 Slim not working, any suggestions?

Hi everyone :) I bought a BRAND NEW Taurus Pt709 Slim 2 days ago. I took it apart and cleaned it as soon as I got it home. But the problem I'm having is with dry firing or even firing period. I can take it apart, put the slide back on, pull the slide back just enough to lock the take down button back in place, and it will click when I pull the trigger. But as soon as I rack the slide and pull the trigger, nothing happens, no click or anything. I have tried it with and without the mag in, even with a round in the chamber but still to no prevail :(

I contacted Taurus and may send it in if nobody else can help. So, has anyone had any similar experiences or have heard about anything similar? I really don't want to send it off and wait when the problem can be fixed with a good oiling or something :)

Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Remove Ads

Before the guys come in and tell you mount it on a handle and use it as hammer because its a taurus, try cleaning it again.
    Taurus is sometimes not always packed with grease pretty heavily. It could be that your firing pin channel is still full of grease and binding. If it wont fire after that send the thing back to taurus and theyll fix it.
    Little hint when you call em youll get a lot farther with alot better service if you are polite and not ranting and raving at them about their "junk" etc etc. Do that and youll likely have a long wait.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    I have ZERO experience with Taurus pistols(just revolvers)

My M&P has a lever which must be positioned a certain way prior to re assembling the firearm.
    If that is the case, you may wish to go over the manual again, and if that doesn't work, take it back to where you bought it, and see if they can figure it out, and if not, they will have better luck sending it back to Taurus for you.

Good luck ,& welcome to DC!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I agree with most of what Ghost said.

Personally I would just call CS and send it back to them right away or at least call them first and ask if they have heard of the problem previously. How will the company fix these issues in the future if people don't inform them about them? This way you know that it is (probably) fixed, even if you have to wait a while.

Some companies even advise you not to disassemble your gun that far I believe, and can you really be sure that you solved the problem and not wonder "how long until the firing pin gets stuck again? (or whatever the issue is)".

So I guess it really depends if it's your only gun, if it's a gun just for the range or that you carry/keep at home for SD, and your level of knowledge of how to completely disassemble/reassemble handguns. If it was me tho, I would just send it in and not have to deal with the headache of trying to fix it. You shouldn't have to fix something that's brand new.

Just my honest advice, take it or leave it ;)

Good luck.

Oneshot brings up a good point, if you bought it from a store take it back there (unloaded and in a case obviously) and see if they can help you out. Most places would help if they're able to, but if they can't, just send it back.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Send it back to the factory or sell it.

I've had mine for 4 years. Never a problem at all (over 2,000 rounds).

Got it in front of me now. It has second strike capability, but the second strike is a longer pull. Basically, you don't have to re-rack the gun to actuate the firing mechanism. To reset the trigger, I only have to move my slide back a half inch.

Will your trigger not move back, not go back all the way, or goes all the way back and nothing happens? Do you feel any resistance or nothing?

Got mine apart watching as I pull the trigger. There is a transfer bar that presses the latch to the rear effectively pulling it down. This releases the striker which is spring loaded. Either something is preventing this from engaging and releasing the striker assembly or the striker assembly spring is broken or jammed up. It's a fairly simple mechanism. Perhaps take it apart and post a video showing the frame from the top as you pull the trigger. Take your finger and move the striker in the channel. Should be firm but movable with your finger.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I dont tear the fireing pin out to clean it. I just shoot a little wd through it to cut the grease out then blow it out. drop of oil and blow that out. Then if it dont work its not grease binding it. If you dont want to mess with that then of course just do as the others have said and send it back in. They will fix it for free.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

take it back where you bought and trade it for a Glock.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Id hold up on the Glock until I saw if they support us or gut us in this gun grab. You already have the Taurus or id have said wait on that also though far as I know they have no contracts with any states in US. But a statement on their website is what im waiting on.

Yes.... buy a Glock

Hey guys how about we throttle back on the Glock bandwagon? Yes, Glock is a superior weapon, but this gentleman has already invested into the problem child so how about we try and help him out with it for now?

I too unfortunately pissed away about $400 on a Taurus 740 and had a similar problem (among others). In my case, I was on the range and fired a shot then click, nothing. My trigger bar literally snapped in half. I sent it back to Taurus after much cajoling to get them to actually pay for shipping on a 4 month old gun, got it back with a new problem. It not sits in a box in my closet along with one my girlfriend bought at the same time I did. Unfortunately, the much ballyhooed lifetime warranty really isn't all that great, since their customer service sucks, to put it simply.

I will second the suggestion to clean it again, their use of grease is legendary, try a really potent degreaser like GunScrubber, but be careful. That product works very well but make sure you get the polymer safe version and have good ventilation it smells like rocket fuel.

Sorry you fell into the same trap I did, the 700s are a good conceptual design, the QC is just awful.
    Glock36carry likes this.

New Member Array master_of_aces's Avatar
    Ok guys...... I gotta admit something but please don't bite my head off. Apparently, the trigger has to be pulled ALL THE WAY back to fire. I was afraid of breaking a brand new $400 pistol and didn't pull it back. The gun works flawlessly, I was just an idiot and didn't expect such a long, single action, trigger pull. Thanks to everyone who replied with ideas and suggestions and try not to bite my head off lol

LOL. Can't blame Taurus for that. It has a long travel with no resistance until the last little bit which is short and crisp. Reset is very short with tactile and audible feedback.

Glad it's a non-issue. Be sure to clean it at least every 200 rounds and avoid Winchester White Box ammo.

Wonderful , now run, don't walk and get the Glock.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Give it a chance. I've got Glocks, Smiths, Rugers, Bersas, Springfields, and 1 Taurus. My 709 is as good as any of them. Over 2000 flawless rounds. One of the most fun to shoot, very accurate, and easy to carry due to size and weight.

Only drawback is not a large market for accessories and aftermarket stuff. Extra mags are $36. No extended mags available, but Pearce has pinky extensions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links